IGNORED

Phil Neville’s Tweets....

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/24/fa-knew-phil-neville-tweets-england-women-manager

Do we really live in a world now where the things he tweeted, which I find neither funny, nor offensive, mean he should be charged by the FA as some are calling for?

I really think some people go out of their way to be offended at all cost. 

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/24/fa-knew-phil-neville-tweets-england-women-manager

Do we really live in a world now where the things he tweeted, which I find neither funny, nor offensive, mean he should be charged by the FA as some are calling for?

I really think some people go out of their way to be offended at all cost. 

Unfortunately it seems to be the way . Better not say to much. Might offend someone 

This culture of going back through someone's tweets to find something to smear them with is getting a bit alarming.

The internet was a different place - even as recently as 2011/2012. I remember Wayne Rooney's tweets from that period which included things like this

Image result for wayne rooney funny tweets

He wouldn't tweet anything like this now, it's all stage managed by PR companies.

What Neville tweeted was just the same sort of things he'd text his mates. A bit puerile yes, but not worthy of him being punished.

To be honest, almost everyone has tweeted something that is horribly offensive. I regularly call reality TV show contestants and local MPs pedophiles, threaten to tie up my mates and lock them in the boot of my car and drive it in to a lake, and garotte the cat of someones dead nan. Suppose if I was England women's manager that'd get dragged up.

Clearly a joke and I loathe that getting a job of any sort of prominence means you have to be a dour, unfunny, boring****.

The fact he tweeted something that might offend has no bearing on his ability to do a job.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This culture of going back through someone's tweets to find something to smear them with is getting a bit alarming.

The internet was a different place - even as recently as 2011/2012. I remember Wayne Rooney's tweets from that period which included things like this

Image result for wayne rooney funny tweets

He wouldn't tweet anything like this now, it's all stage managed by PR companies.

What Neville tweeted was just the same sort of things he'd text his mates. A bit puerile yes, but not worthy of him being punished.

Worthy of him being employed, though? In the first place?

After the last bloke they had coaching the women, and the mess they got into with him?

Normally I would agree, but considering the man he succeeded (Mark Sampson) was sacked for his previous derogatory comments at a previous job (City) it completely reeks of double standards. (Although I don't think Phil's tweets were as malicious, where do you draw the line?)

I've heard through a friend that Mark Sampson may have also been accused of "indecent conduct" which may make a difference but don't think I've seen this reported and don't know how legit this claim is.

Just now, Jack Dawe said:

Worthy of him being employed, though? In the first place?

After the last bloke they had coaching the women, and the mess they got into with him?

That's a different question entirely Jack. What he's done to deserve this job is beyond me, he wasn't even a particularly good player TBH (I was at Euro 2000 v Romania, he was useless)! 

2 minutes ago, redsfan said:

Proper laughed out loud.

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Is that it? That's just a tweet to mates and humorous. I certainly send messages like that to friends and I'm sure most of us do. Maybe he should try this one? ;)

Image result for women offside rule

:whistle:

I was going to give that a laugh emoticon and then thought better of it - an ex of mine has stalked me relentlessly across the internet and constructed a pretty good case for the prosecution compiling tweets of mine spanning 5 years of acrimonious dispute, all printed out in glorious colour on A4 paper in a series of ring binders......confirmation that I find this sort of thing funny would only add grist to her mill. :whistle:

I recently watched an old episode of room 101 on Dave and the once worthy journalist and now sad woman who will go on to any reality show for money Janet Street Porter was one of the contributors.

One of her pet hates was men who open doors or offer to give up their seats for her (something I was brought up to do), the next day I was shoe shopping with Mrs Bung and having opened the door of the shop for her to enter and being almost halfway in myself, I noticed an older lady walking towards me and I instinctively took a step back and held the door open for her and I even doffed my cap and she gave a lovely smile and thanked me.

But it got me thinking, that there was a flaw in Street Porters pet hate, like how the **** are we supposed to know whether any female is an accepter or an objector of this chivalrous act?, how do we (men) know if we will get the smile from a lady or a torrent of abuse from a female gobshite?.

So wishing to avoid this problem any advice would be helpful especially from the ladies.

It is complicated world out there isn't it?.

27 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Is that it? That's just a tweet to mates and humorous. I certainly send messages like that to friends and I'm sure most of us do. Maybe he should try this one? ;)

Image result for women offside rule

:whistle:

Thing with stuff like that is its so ridiculous you've got to laugh! 

Genuine sexism or discrimination is a completely different matter but to me thats just silly banter. And im about as liberal a snowflake as youre likely to meet!

27 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

That's a different question entirely Jack. What he's done to deserve this job is beyond me, he wasn't even a particularly good player TBH (I was at Euro 2000 v Romania, he was useless)! 

What was the bloody question again?

1 minute ago, redsince1994 said:

Thing with stuff like that is its so ridiculous you've got to laugh! 

Genuine sexism or discrimination is a completely different matter but to me thats just silly banter. And im about as liberal a snowflake as youre likely to meet!

Spot on! It's humour and not meant to be offensive. 

29 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Normally I would agree, but considering the man he succeeded (Mark Sampson) was sacked for his previous derogatory comments at a previous job (City) it completely reeks of double standards. (Although I don't think Phil's tweets were as malicious, where do you draw the line?)

I've heard through a friend that Mark Sampson may have also been accused of "indecent conduct" which may make a difference but don't think I've seen this reported and don't know how legit this claim is.

I think you might find it was more than comments. My understanding is that he was in a relationship with one of the players which was deemed inappropriate and he was asked/forced to go on a course regarding his conduct to make sure he was not taking advantage of his position as head coach.

3 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Sadly this is the effect social media is now having on society, in 20 years time the natural ability of conversation will be dead with everyone just staring into their phone / tablet screens.

My Wife just said you been on your phone all night. So I told her to stick the tea on . :rofl2br:

Typical of the generation we live in now which literally goes out of its way to be offended by anything and everything.  The comments were clearly tongue in cheek and not genuinely sexist. If any woman (or man) genuinely finds those comments offensive they lead a very sad life IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Spot on! It's humour and not meant to be offensive. 

But it is offensive and certainly not funny.

As Southgate has said everyone knows that social media can catch up with you years later.  Something every child should be taught in school.  Simply don't use it if you can't be polite.  Don't think Neville will last long in the job

Archived