IGNORED

Riot Police Deployment

Harry

I thoroughly enjoyed the game last night. Atmos was good. Quality of football was excellent. Great to see so many young kids there enjoying the game and I hope it cements a future of their support. 

But one thing spoiled it for me. I stand very near the front of the S82 corner, and in my eyeline, for all 90 minutes, was a squad of riot police, staring up at me. 

They were stood actually IN the disabled area. And as some disabled fans were trying to go in and out, they were quite simply in the way. There were a number of comments toward the police (particularly ones of “why are you here” and “you’re in the bloody way”), to which I noticed a number of the disabled fans turning and nodding in agreement. They clearly felt unhappy with them being there. 

So, I have a question to @JulieH and to @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO and to @Dave Storr and any other club officials who view this. 

Why? 

What could possibly have been the reason for having a squad of riot police staring up at this particular home section of the crowd? I saw no riot police standing in front of the away fans, nor any other areas of the ground. 

If they were deployed to prevent a repeat of the Man U pitch invasion, then fine - bring them in on 89 minutes like you did with the rest of the ground. So it can’t have been that. 

If they were deployed to quell any disturbances then they failed miserably. As it happened, there was a minor altercation further to the back of the stand, which they all just stood and watched unfold without a single thought or attempt to intervene. So it can’t have been that.

If they were deployed to just stand there, doing naff all, looking bored out of their minds, eyeing up the home section, trying to look intimidating and generally making everyone in the area baffled by their presence and unnerved by their staring, then they did well. It must have been that. 

Seriously. I’d like to understand the rationale behind this. Please can someone in the club who ratifies this deployment please explain. 

Bit of a pisstake really, don't know what the justification is for having part of your home support surrounded by police.

If it was to prevent a pitch invasion, think you'll find people were streaming out of every corner of the stadium, not just S26. 

Post operation Slim, worth a direct email to the match commander.

I will guess they thought away fan infiltration.

Which would be a surprise. As I said to you in the pub last night, the Man C fans I'd met away and at home were both affable and genuine and love their footy.

Be interesting to know why they decided to station there however.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fairly sure I saw some in the Dolman though...albeit possibly near the South/Dolman area.

My guess, combined with the number of stewards, was to try to stop another pitch invasion.

Which is fine. So deploy them 5 mins from the end, like they did infront of the away end. No need to be there from kick off to full time. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Which is fine. So deploy them 5 mins from the end, like they did infront of the away end. No need to be there from kick off to full time. 

Head of security is an ex midlands police officer, says it all really. 

@Harry what are they allowed to film? I was stood to your right with my usual rabble of 8 kids between 7 and 12 and twice it genuinley felt like they were filming us. 

I get they've got a job to do and one of them was great with my youngest, but it does still feel like the moment you declare yourself a fan you're fair game.

It was over the top for 90 mins, especially when you consider that when the handbags broke out they really weren't bothered. One commented it wasn't their area!

There was no suggestion of away fan infiltration.

each match commander discusses with club security officials areas of the ground which may need extra policing / stewarding. This was one area, as was the segregation line in the atyeo and the area in front of the away fans in case of any pitch incursion .

police officers and stewards alike should always face the crowd . 

There was a disorder in the crowd for which 3 Bristol City fans were arrested on the night. Officers dealing with that incident were part of the group of officers originally stood at the front.

we didn’t receive any complaints from any disabled fans on the night but I am happy to discuss with safety staff at the club if any feedback was received  and review for the  next policed game.

if anyone wishes to send an email to match commander then more than happy to pass on, pm me and I will give you my e mail address, and pass it on 

2 minutes ago, JulieH said:

each match commander discusses with club security officials areas of the ground which may need extra policing / stewarding. This was one area, as was the segregation line in the atyeo and the area in front of the away fans in case of any pitch incursion .

There was a disorder in the crowd for which 3 Bristol City fans were arrested on the night. Officers dealing with that incident were part of the group of officers originally stood at the front.

we didn’t receive any complaints from any disabled fans on the night but I am happy to discuss with safety staff at the club if any feedback was received  and review for the  next policed game.

if anyone wishes to send an email to match commander then more than happy to pass on, pm me and I will give you my e mail address, and pass it on 

So you're suggesting the presence of riot police in the home end was a club decision? 

Can I ask why they felt this or are you not aware?

As I said in my previous post, those in S82 were not the only ones on the pitch. Baffling.

What’s the difference when 8000 of us go to the Etihad. And there was nothing like the overkill we get at Ashton Gate . 

54 minutes ago, Harry said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the game last night. Atmos was good. Quality of football was excellent. Great to see so many young kids there enjoying the game and I hope it cements a future of their support. 

But one thing spoiled it for me. I stand very near the front of the S82 corner, and in my eyeline, for all 90 minutes, was a squad of riot police, staring up at me. 

They were stood actually IN the disabled area. And as some disabled fans were trying to go in and out, they were quite simply in the way. There were a number of comments toward the police (particularly ones of “why are you here” and “you’re in the bloody way”), to which I noticed a number of the disabled fans turning and nodding in agreement. They clearly felt unhappy with them being there. 

So, I have a question to @JulieH and to @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO and to @Dave Storr and any other club officials who view this. 

Why? 

What could possibly have been the reason for having a squad of riot police staring up at this particular home section of the crowd? I saw no riot police standing in front of the away fans, nor any other areas of the ground. 

If they were deployed to prevent a repeat of the Man U pitch invasion, then fine - bring them in on 89 minutes like you did with the rest of the ground. So it can’t have been that. 

If they were deployed to quell any disturbances then they failed miserably. As it happened, there was a minor altercation further to the back of the stand, which they all just stood and watched unfold without a single thought or attempt to intervene. So it can’t have been that.

If they were deployed to just stand there, doing naff all, looking bored out of their minds, eyeing up the home section, trying to look intimidating and generally making everyone in the area baffled by their presence and unnerved by their staring, then they did well. It must have been that. 

Seriously. I’d like to understand the rationale behind this. Please can someone in the club who ratifies this deployment please explain. 

Anyone who thinks the club in any way supports s82 or would even contemplate extending it is deranged  Intimidation of a group that could not be further from the away support. BCFC wants a library full of twin scarfed tin foil flag wavers. If it felt any affinity with that section of support they would tell the A&SP robocops to #### off and fight crime.

There were noticeably a large police presence last night. After the match I went round to the player’s enterance, not to see the ManC players more to see the level of interest and see what our players were like. There were loads of police hanging around there, but the very second the ManC coach drove away they all dispersed. So I guess they were there for their benefit as plenty of our players were still about.

21 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Thanks for your quick reply. 

Questions..... 

Why was our area identified as likely to cause a pitch invasion. The previous pitch invasion came from all 4 stands. Why single out this corner? 

Why, if the area infront of the away fans was also highlighted as a potential high incursion area, were the riot police stood in a group to the side of the supporters, out of their immediate eyeline, whereas in our corner they were deployed directly infront of us, in our vision for 90 minutes. 

Why were the officers who dealt with the disturbance moved at half time. There was what appeared to be a ‘shift-change’ at the start of the second half. The officers directly infront of us, staring, were not involved in quelling the disturbance. I assume you are saying that the other squad who were moved out were therefore still in the area and dealt with the protagonists. Why the change over? Do they only get 45 minutes of staring at a time before they need to rest their dead eyes. 

You’re not likely to get complaints from the disabled supporters who felt the officers were in their way. Why would they want to spoil their enjoyment of the game by making a complaint TO an officer about THEIR behaviour. They likely thought better of it, and were likely bemused at why they were even there. But they certainly nodded in agreement when calls of “you’re in the way” were heard. 

If you feel that there were no other complaints on the night then clearly the riot police themselves have not joined your debrief - because there were plenty of verbal complaints made to them at the time. I myself had a very interesting conversation with one, who didn’t seem to know, seem to care or seem to understand what he was doing there. “Just watching you lot mate” was his generic reply. 

So, I appreciate that you’ve answered quickly, but you haven’t actually answered anything. You have stated that the area was flagged as a high incursion area, but there is no explanation as to why. 

17 minutes ago, JulieH said:

In an area of the ground 100% occupied by SC holders that surely sold out long before tickets even became available to members ? Absolute bullshit and it appeaes thar between the bullies and Storr its a very cosy arrangement .

21 minutes ago, 054123 said:

@Harry what are they allowed to film? I was stood to your right with my usual rabble of 8 kids between 7 and 12 and twice it genuinley felt like they were filming us. 

I get they've got a job to do and one of them was great with my youngest, but it does still feel like the moment you declare yourself a fan you're fair game.

It was over the top for 90 mins, especially when you consider that when the handbags broke out they really weren't bothered. One commented it wasn't their area!

There can be NO justification for filming inside the ground , the club have a very good cctv in operation so please explain why the police see the need to victimise the public , until anything happens and let’s be fair in grounds nowadays it hardly ever does these people who serve the public should remain outside the stadium and let the stewards do their jobs and stop ruining people’s entertainment and view which they have paid for 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Questions..... 

Why was our area identified as likely to cause a pitch invasion. The previous pitch invasion came from all 4 stands. Why single out this corner? 

Why, if the area infront of the away fans was also highlighted as a potential high incursion area, were the riot police stood in a group to the side of the supporters, out of their immediate eyeline, whereas in our corner they were deployed directly infront of us, in our vision for 90 minutes. 

Why were the officers who dealt with the disturbance moved at half time. There was what appeared to be s ‘shift-change’ at the start of the second half. The officers directly infront of us, staring, were not involved in quelling the disturbance. I assume you are saying that the other squad who were moved out were therefore still in the area and dealt with the protagonists. Why the change over? Do they only get 45 minutes of staring at a time before they need to rest their dead eyes. 

You’re not likely to get complaints from the disabled supporters who felt the officers were in their way. Why would they want to spoil their enjoyment of the game by making a complaint TO an officer about THEIR behaviour. They likely thought better of it, and were likely bemused at why they were even there. 

If you feel that there were no other complaints on the night then clearly the riot police themselves have not joined your debrief - because there were plenty of verbal complaints behind my made to them at the time. I myself had a very interesting conversation with one, who didn’t seem to know, seem to care or seem to understand what he was doing there. “Just watching you lot mate” was his generic reply. 

So, I appreciate that you’ve answered quickly, but you haven’t actually answered anything. You have stated that the area was flagged as a high incursion area, but there is no explanation as to why. 

Don't expect answers to all of this. In fact, try not to laugh at the rubbish you'll get back......

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

In an area of the ground 100% occupied by SC holders that surely sold out long before tickets even became available to members ? Absolute bullshit and it appeaes thar between the bullies and Storr its a very cosy arrangement .

Not all of that area was season ticket holders for this cup game as it had further seats available to be sold as previously discussed regarding allocated seating

Not all of that area was season ticket holders for this cup game as it had further seats available to be sold as previously discussed regarding allocated seating

Which presumably were sold to known members, or if not, certainly not to a group booking with Manchester postcodes! 

1 minute ago, JulieH said:

So it didnt sell out before seats were made available to non sc holders let alone the general public ?? I couldnt get one and im a member.

Noticed all this from the SS.  It's an embarrassment to have riot police in front of a section of our fans purely because they make a bit more noise than the rest of the stands (we do our bit at the back of the SS btw!) especially when they're nowhere to be seen at the away end.  Whoever is commissioning this needs to explain why it's happening.  Not the first time this season either IIRC. I don't see other clubs doing this. Why do we? 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Questions..... 

Why were the officers who dealt with the disturbance moved at half time. There was what appeared to be a ‘shift-change’ at the start of the second half. The officers directly infront of us, staring, were not involved in quelling the disturbance. I assume you are saying that the other squad who were moved out were therefore still in the area and dealt with the protagonists. Why the change over? Do they only get 45 minutes of staring at a time before they need to rest their dead eyes. 

You’re not likely to get complaints from the disabled supporters who felt the officers were in their way. Why would they want to spoil their enjoyment of the game by making a complaint TO an officer about THEIR behaviour. They likely thought better of it, and were likely bemused at why they were even there. But they certainly nodded in agreement when calls of “you’re in the way” were heard. 

If you feel that there were no other complaints on the night then clearly the riot police themselves have not joined your debrief - because there were plenty of verbal complaints made to them at the time. I myself had a very interesting conversation with one, who didn’t seem to know, seem to care or seem to understand what he was doing there. “Just watching you lot mate” was his generic reply. 

We police in partnership with the club, these areas were identified and therefore that is why we were there.

i Will speak to the slo and ask if he can speak to the disabled section for feedback, I was there for a short time and everything seemed good natured but am open to feedback as always, and if fans wish to do this through the slo then hopefully that will happen 

Archived