IGNORED

Riot Police Deployment

Harry

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Agreed. I did stand in dismay watching as hoardes or police completely ignored a clear incident of violence and left stewards to deal with it. 

I agree and I think this is a key point @JulieH. If those officers are there, why is it they did not appear to intervene quicker? At least that's what it felt / looked like. There was clearly a number of stewards who arrived at the scene a long time before the police did.

I would also like to point out there were a number of our own fans who were trying to defuse the situation, some of whom did a good job.

1 hour ago, JulieH said:

We police in partnership with the club, these areas were identified and therefore that is why we were there.

i Will speak to the slo and ask if he can speak to the disabled section for feedback, I was there for a short time and everything seemed good natured but am open to feedback as always, and if fans wish to do this through the slo then hopefully that will happen 

I know someone who has repeatedly been refused access to the disabled section due to them not having a viable disability due to a policy where wheelchair spaces are not allowed to be allocated to non disabled people which is fair enough.

This person then requested that could that could they just stand in the disabled section by the wall. This was also refused due to FL and health and safety regulations. 

So how come police, stewards, ambulance staff, and even concession staff are able to stand in these areas and are immune from the rules?

If you can pass my comments on to the correct people then thay would be much appreciated as this policy stinks!!

1 hour ago, JulieH said:

It would be fair to say that bcfc have been warned and fined already this season for smoke grenades from home fans and items thrown onto the pitch.

This is no hiding the fact these have come mainly from one area of the ground.

therefore after a number of smoke grenades were set off against Man United  live on Sky , with yet another referees report submitted there was very much an effort to try and stop this happening again.

did it work ? I don’t know, no smoke grenades from home areas but with this amount of negative feedback we will look again at the next policed game and discuss with the slo/ safety officer fans concerns. 

Isn't the simple solution to have sniffer dogs directly before the entrances into S82?

32 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wow silly suggestion. It’s people going to a football match, not drug smugglers.

But a minority of people are bringing flares into the stadium and setting them off. Causing damage to a million pound pitch and fines for the club.

You know what, every game I get my bag checked, used to be asked to open my coat, at the Etihad I had a search thay wouldn't be out of place in a Prison! 

It's just part and parcel of attending a football game or any major event.if someone like you doesn't like it then don't bloody attend. You do realise these measures are put in place to protect you don't you? 

Without a shadow of a doubt you'd be the 1st troll on here complaining if these things were not done and something happened. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Ironic then that smoke grenades landed on the pitch from the away fans. Maybe had the same policy been adopted at their end you could’ve prevented another report to the FA? 

It is a naive policy to think that a line of police will stop an inpromptu smoke grenade. What will stop smoke grenades is preventing them getting in. 

A better way still of policing smoke grenades would be through the already very clear and comprehensive CCTV. It doesn’t require an intimidating staring gala, eyeing up 1200 people when a tiny minority have indulged themselves in pyro a couple of times this season. 

Also, you say that items have been thrown on the pitch (I can’t recall anything), mainly from one area. So, using the word “mainly” implies that items have found their way into the pitch from other areas than S82. If so, why were similar enforcements not deployed directly infront of those areas? 

Fair enough having different ideas Harry, especially with the benefit of hindsight, which we can all benefit from.

But it's impressive how clearly you treat your opinion on how best to police 27,000 people as fact, you must have a significant background working for her majesty's finest?

3 hours ago, JulieH said:

There was no suggestion of away fan infiltration.

each match commander discusses with club security officials areas of the ground which may need extra policing / stewarding. This was one area, as was the segregation line in the atyeo and the area in front of the away fans in case of any pitch incursion .

police officers and stewards alike should always face the crowd . 

There was a disorder in the crowd for which 3 Bristol City fans were arrested on the night. Officers dealing with that incident were part of the group of officers originally stood at the front.

we didn’t receive any complaints from any disabled fans on the night but I am happy to discuss with safety staff at the club if any feedback was received  and review for the  next policed game.

if anyone wishes to send an email to match commander then more than happy to pass on, pm me and I will give you my e mail address, and pass it on 

With respect that does not answer the question, which was "why?".

2 hours ago, JulieH said:

It would be fair to say that bcfc have been warned and fined already this season for smoke grenades from home fans and items thrown onto the pitch.

This is no hiding the fact these have come mainly from one area of the ground.

therefore after a number of smoke grenades were set off against Man United  live on Sky , with yet another referees report submitted there was very much an effort to try and stop this happening again.

did it work ? I don’t know, no smoke grenades from home areas but with this amount of negative feedback we will look again at the next policed game and discuss with the slo/ safety officer fans concerns. 

Again with respect that answer does not stack up. I believe that previously smoke grenade throwers have been identified when there were not riot police deployed in that area. Presumably from CCTV. So why would you need riot police for that game.

So why would you need police at all. The lads are hardly likely to start mass fighting among themselves for example - the isolated incident at the end was very unusual, involved one person, and was dealt with by the stewards.

I was at the back of the Dolman one block from s82 and from my position I thought at the time that the police presence - and demeanor - was out of order. 

It is fairly obvious that police actions like that are more likely to cause resentment - this thread would seem evidence of that - and exacerbate a "them" and "us" mentality. Why would the police want that?

Does not make any sense.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Up The City!

Out of interest, what were searches at Etihad like, consisting of?

Would be interesting to have ssomething to compare our searches etc to.

Full pat down, for everyone. 

Luckily, the steward did ask if it was okay that he searched me, to which I sarcastically replied, to which he replied, also with a sense of humour, I can’t go in then. 

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

Isn't the simple solution to have sniffer dogs directly before the entrances into S82?

Are you being serious? We could have full body scanners as well I suppose.

It's a game of football ffs, and suggesting just at the entrances at S82 is absolutely ridiculous. I can think of ONE occasion where a flare in there has ended up on the pitch, so the damage thing doesn't really stack up, and as @Harry says, a tiny minority have used pyro this season.

Calling @Phileas Fogg a troll is a bit farcical tbh and seems to be a character assassination rather than an actual valid point.

I really don't see how the suggestion of sniffer dogs just at the entrances of certain blocks is anything less than Orwellian, and if the club were to implement it, it would be viewed as an attack on a group of fans that just want to enjoy the football in a different way to you, and rightly so. A pat down of the sort that you got at Man City would be far preferable, and probably a lot cheaper in delivering exactly the same result.

Saying don't attend if you don't like it is everything wrong with society today in my view.

You're normally a very sensible poster so I'm a bit surprised by that suggestion.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Up The City!

Would be interesting to have ssomething to compare our searches etc to.

It was a pat down.

9 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Full pat down, for everyone. 

Luckily, the steward did ask if it was okay that he searched me, to which I sarcastically replied, to which he replied, also with a sense of humour, I can’t go in then. 

Wow a bit more stringent than here then. Must have taken a while too!

Stewards interacting with crowd a bit, bit of banter, bit of humour, probably an example of decent stewarding.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Up The City!

Would be interesting to have something to compare our searches etc to.

Full on pat down front and back. So effectively being searched twice. Every item in my possession was also asked to be shown, not like at Ashton Gate where they just glance or take your word for it. These guys were proper serious (uunderstandably)

Even my wife commented on it watching the TV.

Seeing the Police lined up she was expecting a horde of Russian Ultras to start poleaxing everyone with baseball bats.

Seriously - on TV it looked terrible and reflected badly on our club.

This all stems from Dave "billy big-bolloxs' Storr

Looks good on his CV to blag his next free overseas UEFA speaking tour though......

World Cup advisory role in the wind eh Dave?

Pitch invasions don't tend to start simultaneously from all areas of the ground. They start from that corner and everyone else follows. If I wanted to make a show of trying to prevent them to defend the club from punishment that's what I'd do.  Wheel them out 5 minutes from the end and you're open to criticism for the invasion 10 minutes from the end, or the half time incident or so on. 

Also why are people not able to understand Julie when she says "there was no suggestion of infiltration"? It's not hard to read is it? 

6 hours ago, Harry said:

But they clearly weren’t there to prevent trouble. It happened and they did nothing. 

No, they most definitely were there to prevent trouble, the difference is they were inept at that moment. That's a secondary training and development issue. 

Yeah, this is an interesting one. 

Game was ruined for me with a bunch of riot police just glaring at me. It makes an uneasy atmosphere, especially when they start filming us, when there is no need. It rubs people up the wrong way. It's not the correct way to deal with it. It's intimidating. @JulieH, that needs to be fed back. I went from happy to agitated by the time it took me to turn and face the pitch from walking to me seat. 

You stop all the incidents that you address outside the ground. At The Etihad before you even got near the turnstiles every single person was searched, and searched properly - not the half arsed 'can you unzip your coat' youget at AG tow select few. Between the searching lines and the stadium, police Dogs were on patrol for anything that was missed by the search.

The result. 8,000 away fans, not causing any trouble without any police standing and staring at us throughout the game. No flares, no violence, nothing  

It worries me, and someone else said it, I genuinely think I could bring anything into AG. Luckily the worst I'd try and bring in is a hip flask of Whiskey! 

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Up The City!

Would be interesting to have something to compare our searches etc to.

Can confirm a full pat down for the ladies too, small handbag searched. All friendly, quick and efficient. But I think you often get searched like this as an away fan yet can walk in unchallenged as a home fan. At Derby they had sniffer dogs you had to walk past when you got off the coach, they had barriers up so you had to. They also had dogs walking around the outside of the ground (but only handbag search, not full pat down). Derby had the most stewards I’ve ever seen for a ‘normal’ match.

The most stringent search I have ever had is a couple of years ago at West Brom, full pat down to go into the shop, same again to go into the fan zone which was mixed and roughly in the same area, and once again yet another pat down to get through the turnstiles! 

39 minutes ago, JulieH said:

The searches I witnessed of away fans were thorough and private sniffer dogs were also used. 

So that's their rank in the police force.

I'm surprised we haven't had a march/boycott/Daily Newspaper campaign to get the police dogs upgraded to at least the rank of sergeant. Maybe higher ranking police dogs do higher profile home teams? Julie can tell us.

23 minutes ago, RedM said:

Can confirm a full pat down for the ladies too, small handbag searched. All friendly, quick and efficient. But I think you often get searched like this as an away fan yet can walk in unchallenged as a home fan. At Derby they had sniffer dogs you had to walk past when you got off the coach, they had barriers up so you had to. They also had dogs walking around the outside of the ground (but only handbag search, not full pat down). Derby had the most stewards I’ve ever seen for a ‘normal’ match.

The most stringent search I have ever had is a couple of years ago at West Brom, full pat down to go into the shop, same again to go into the fan zone which was mixed and roughly in the same area, and once again yet another pat down to get through the turnstiles! 

I helped police that game. We also got searched on the way into the stadium and back out. !

to this day I have no idea why!!!

Archived