IGNORED

X rated- not really one for the youngsters

Marina's Rolls Royce

Aldershot away. Chester at home. Hartlepool. Wrexham. 1982. A good stuffing at Carlisle . West Midlands finest equine department and their batons at a wooden Walsall. Tiny penis and his destruction of football. David Russe .Scot Davidson and Benny. Osman. Trumpton in May. Jordan to Hearts....Us of a certain age can just talk/post for hours.... no, for  days about what we've experienced in our journey with this club we love.

Nostalgic? Sentimental ? Nah- it really was painful - often soul destroying with only the occasional event keeping us sane and I hope that our history will always remain in the past and does not repeat.

Cup runs- Forest, Liverpool, Chelsea and even the Auto Windshield Leyland Daf Paints Trophy. We played out of our skin- we pulled a performance out of the bag like a rabbit out of the hat.

But not last night against Man City or even against Man United. For the first time in my years of supporting City in  big big matches- we played like we can , like we should and like we always hoped we would.We weren't lucky to get to the semi's, we didn't have a bye ( i.e. Gillingham) and we didn't fluke 3 goals against what may be the best team in Europe and factually the most expensive.We didn't get there by accident and have truly competed at the highest level.

This is the City you and I have always hoped for but usually never believed would happen- the ground ( and how happy are we that it's Ashton Gate?) the owner, the young English manager and a group of players who , at long last, aren't punching above their weight. I believe that we will get the Prem ( for all it's bad points) possibly this season and most likely within 2 more and then I think we'll stay there.The club is ready on every level and the proof is there.

I took my son to his first BS3 match v Tranmere Rovers aged 3 and we won 3-1. He's now 17 and City through and through but I hope he never forgets where we came from and the relative crap he's had to endure and we don't ( as a club) ever forget the shite we've had to wade through in 40 years ( for me) to get this far. It used to be our dream to play at the highest level but now I'm sure it's our destination.

Last night was so special to me not because we played beyond our capabilities or above our level but because we didn't.

28 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

....and even the Auto Windshield Leyland Daf Paints Trophy.....

Love your post mate, but can’t believe you managed to reference two sponsors when we weren’t even involved/lost in the final...instead of when we actually won the damned thing! We won it as the Freight Rover Trophy, the LDV Vans Trophy and the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.....we lost it as the Freight Rover Trophy and the Auto Windscreens Shield.....and we never got anywhere near Wembley in the Leyland Daf....but then, you thought Matt Smith was ‘awful’ for us....!!!

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Love your post mate, but can’t believe you managed to reference two sponsors when we weren’t even involved/lost in the final...instead of when we actually won the damned thing! We won it as the Freight Rover Trophy, the LDV Vans Trophy and the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.....we lost it as the Freight Rover Trophy and the Auto Windscreens Shield.....

Yep- I couldn't remember the exact names or which Sponsor's  we won. They were important to us at the time but I'd definitely say I got infinite more pleasure at beating Mourinho's Man U at BS3 than a turgid final against Carlisle at Cardiff!

14 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Aldershot away. Chester at home. Hartlepool. Wrexham. 1982. A good stuffing at Carlisle . West Midlands finest equine department and their batons at a wooden Walsall. Tiny penis and his destruction of football. David Russe .Scot Davidson and Benny. Osman. Trumpton in May. Jordan to Hearts....Us of a certain age can just talk/post for hours.... no, for  days about what we've experienced in our journey with this club we love.

Nostalgic? Sentimental ? Nah- it really was painful - often soul destroying with only the occasional event keeping us sane and I hope that our history will always remain in the past and does not repeat.

Cup runs- Forest, Liverpool, Chelsea and even the Auto Windshield Leyland Daf Paints Trophy. We played out of our skin- we pulled a performance out of the bag like a rabbit out of the hat.

But not last night against Man City or even against Man United. For the first time in my years of supporting City in  big big matches- we played like we can , like we should and like we always hoped we would.We weren't lucky to get to the semi's, we didn't have a bye ( i.e. Gillingham) and we didn't fluke 3 goals against what may be the best team in Europe and factually the most expensive.We didn't get there by accident and have truly competed at the highest level.

This is the City you and I have always hoped for but usually never believed would happen- the ground ( and how happy are we that it's Ashton Gate?) the owner, the young English manager and a group of players who , at long last, aren't punching above their weight. I believe that we will get the Prem ( for all it's bad points) possibly this season and most likely within 2 more and then I think we'll stay there.The club is ready on every level and the proof is there.

I took my son to his first BS3 match v Tranmere Rovers aged 3 and we won 3-1. He's now 17 and City through and through but I hope he never forgets where we came from and the relative crap he's had to endure and we don't ( as a club) ever forget the shite we've had to wade through in 40 years ( for me) to get this far. It used to be our dream to play at the highest level but now I'm sure it's our destination.

Last night was so special to me not because we played beyond our capabilities or above our level but because we didn't.

I started with Stockport County back in the 90s. I remember playing St Albans, Torquay United, Gillingham (always them!!)

I remember Osman and Davidson.

I remember Pulis, John Ward chucking his toys out the pram, Benny, Tony Fawthrop, Coppell.

I remember losing to Stoke at Wembley and losing to Brighton at the Millenium Stadium.

I remember being bottom of L1 and feeling like shite. Classic City I said. 

I remember the relegations and flogging of key players (Akinbyi) and replacing with journeymen.

A few people who don't really know me that well have said "oh you're a Bristol City fan are you? Is that because they are everywhere at the moment coz of the GIFs, beating Man U and giving Man C a run for their money?"

No. I'm no gloryhunting pr1ck. I will always remember the rough days, because they make the good days even sweeter.

14 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

understand where you are from with most of that, but I always felt Osman was shafted by David Russe and the hapless board at the time. He was given a budget of about £2.50 and Russe wanted change from that £2.50. Henry McKop, Glenn Pennyfather etc were never good enough, but what else was he supposed to do?

15 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I started with Stockport County back in the 90s. I remember playing St Albans, Torquay United, Gillingham (always them!!)

I remember Pulis, John Ward chucking his toys out the pram, Benny, Tony Fawthrop, Coppell.

I remember losing to Stoke at Wembley and losing to Brighton at the Millenium Stadium.

I remember the relegations and flogging of key players (Akinbyi) and replacing with journeymen.

A few people who don't really know me that well have said "oh you're a Bristol City fan are you? Is that because they are everywhere at the moment coz of the GIFs, beating Man U and giving Man C a run for their money?"

No. I'm no gloryhunting pr1ck. I will always remember the rough days, because they make the good days even sweeter.

******* love that.

The bad times only make the good times better.

Somebody put that on a bedsheet.

6 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

yes brother currently in Tenereefe getting jocks welsh yes (welsh)coming over to him praising us up as a team and stating what great football we play

21 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yes I remember Aldershot away . I was 15 and remember us putting out a team of teenagers . Vividly remember Jon Economu hobbling off injured and in tears with chants of "we're proud of you " ringing in his ears . Will never forget that ! 

I've only been a City fan for a relatively short time compared with many of you guys, but I've certainly seen some highs and lows. This season however, whenever I'm out wearing my City hoodie. I've had all sorts of different people come up to me and say what a great team they are. I will probably never get to meet any of them, but they feel like family to me.COYR xx

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

Yes I remember Aldershot away . I was 15 and remember us putting out a team of teenagers . Vividly remember Jon Economu hobbling off injured and in tears with chants of "we're proud of you " ringing in his ears . Will never forget that ! 

Used to love singing that back then, remember singing it loads. You don't hear that any more. And yet, there is much to be "prowed" about at the moment.

4 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Aldershot away Oct 1982, 5 up in a clapped out Austin 1100 from WsM, topping the thing up with oil every 50miles...the match 0-0, happy days.

On 25/01/2018 at 20:27, Jack Dawe said:

Used to love singing that back then, remember singing it loads. You don't hear that any more. And yet, there is much to be "prowed" about at the moment.

Would have been a nice touch to have a new rendition of that at the end of the Man City game . 

Top post that loved it. It's the lows that makes the highs even better.

Your average Sky Sports-watching Premier League fan will never, ever feel how we did when we beat Man Utd. You could be a Chelsea fan based in Bristol, and win the quadruple, yet they'll never experience the joy we felt.

It's hard not to feel a bit arrogant in that respect, but when I hear Bristol-based Prem fans talk about football, and refer to their top-6 club as 'we', I cringe so badly for them. They don't know real football. You have to feel part of your club, which they will never be able to do.

Archived