IGNORED

Security Checks

CitySSeven

Apologies if this has been mentioned on another thread. But I find that the security checks in and around the Stadium, especially outside the fan village where it's arguably the most populated area before a match, are not sufficient enough nor consistent enough.
I walked into the Fan Village on Tuesday With about 3 Stewards doing the checks to which they were selecting a certain few to be searched. Maybe they were picking the people who had bags and deciding to search them instead of others. Nevertheless I feel the it is a risk and something needs to be done about.
Also worth mentioning (from what I saw on another thread) that the club are having trouble keeping Flares out of the stadium and by searching everyone, then the club would have done everything the can to prevent this. If anyone has contacts on here that they could forward this to then it would be appreciated.  

Waste of time in my opinion. If somebody wants to get something in they will. 

Only a full body search is going to stop flares, smokebombs etc. And doing that to 20k people is just ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure they're banning people who bring them in, that should be enough of a deterrent.

2 hours ago, CitySSeven said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned on another thread. But I find that the security checks in and around the Stadium, especially outside the fan village where it's arguably the most populated area before a match, are not sufficient enough nor consistent enough.
I walked into the Fan Village on Tuesday With about 3 Stewards doing the checks to which they were selecting a certain few to be searched. Maybe they were picking the people who had bags and deciding to search them instead of others. Nevertheless I feel the it is a risk and something needs to be done about.
Also worth mentioning (from what I saw on another thread) that the club are having trouble keeping Flares out of the stadium and by searching everyone, then the club would have done everything the can to prevent this. If anyone has contacts on here that they could forward this to then it would be appreciated.  

For everyone to be fully searched We would probably have to start arriving the day before given the current staffing levels!

That said, they were understandably thorough at Man City and it wasn't too much of an inconvenience.

18 minutes ago, Brizzol said:

Only a full body search is going to stop flares, smokebombs etc. And doing that to 20k people is just ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure they're banning people who bring them in, that should be enough of a deterrent.

I know it's a different scale. But Man city do it and did do it. We have more stewards on the Turnstiles, however I see the fans village as a potential problem. 

1 minute ago, Topsham Red said:

The security checks are a joke. A friend of mine went shopping before a game before Christmas and brought a bag with a shoe box in.

Security glanced at the bag and didn't even question the large shoebox - could have had anything in it!

Shoes..?!

14 minutes ago, Brizzol said:

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

For everyone to be fully searched We would probably have to start arriving the day before given the current staffing levels!

That said, they were understandably thorough at Man City and it wasn't too much of an inconvenience.

The fans, at least the away fans , were given a full body search at the Etihad. It slowed the entry into the ground, but it wasn't too bad. It might have been because as away fans we arrived a bit earlier than for the home games but over 7,500 got in through 3/4 turnstiles in plenty f time.
I understand we have a suspended fine for previous flares, £20k , and I'm not sure if the Man City one will trigger it. 
I like the flares , but, it's not City being party poopers they can be in trouble from the authorities if they continue so proper searches (and so long queues) may be a possibility.

I’ve never been searched on my way into the theatre, or the cinema. 

Should bus drivers search people as they are getting on a bus..?

Random searches are carried out at football as more of a deterrent than in any actual hope of discovering anything. 

There isnt a lot anywhere can actually do to stop some lunatic intent on harming people. Thankfully, they are very few and far between. Unfortunately, when they do decide to target somewhere, there’s not really much that can be done to stop them. 

Going back a couple of years I went to a mid week evening match with my Dad, who had spent the day gardening. We get to our seats, he puts his hand in his coat pocket and finds he still has the penknife on him from gardening. Aged 70+ he doesn't exactly look like someone who might run amok.

23 minutes ago, CitySSeven said:

I know it's a different scale. But Man city do it and did do it. We have more stewards on the Turnstiles, however I see the fans village as a potential problem. 

Do we?

At the Dolman, I only usually see 4 or 5...(not including those by the Turnstiles but I mean those in front of the turnstiles doing the actual searching).

To take a hypothetical example...5 stewards, 2 hours.

Dolman usually gets 5,500-full capacity...say 6k in Dolman. 1,200 fans per steward for a full body search/2 is 600 per hour per steward or 10 per minute per steward. Unsure it's possible with current staffing levels tbh.

That's before you even factor in the fact that people might enter other stands via the Dolman concourse as pubs in close proximity etc, or the fact that as kickoff approaches there's naturally a rush...

@Mr Popodopolous Sorry, I forgot to take into consideration other entrances, but the south stand turnstiles have done a final check on everyone. It's very sporadic though. I guess what is on my mind is the thought of the club introduced after the country was on high alert, but the process has ever since slowed down again. The end of last season, everyone was being checked and even this season They ask to undo coats/jackets, but not every game. Where's the consistency. 

2 minutes ago, CitySSeven said:

@Mr Popodopolous Sorry, I forgot to take into consideration other entrances, but the south stand turnstiles have done a final check on everyone. It's very sporadic though. I guess what is on my mind is the thought of the club introduced after the country was on high alert, but the process has ever since slowed down again. The end of last season, everyone was being checked and even this season They ask to undo coats/jackets, but not every game. Where's the consistency

Certainly agree with you and I feel this bit is fairly key.

Consistency...there definitely seems not to be!

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I've been searched at every (?) away game this season, a full pat-down and bags checked, the same going into the World Athletics, British Museum, BBC and the V&A. It seems the done-thing these days, and I don't have a problem with it, plus it doesn't take much time.

Exactly. But the Van Village is technically still a public area, so anyone could be in there.

10 minutes ago, CitySSeven said:

Exactly. But the Van Village is technically still a public area, so anyone could be in there.

I can’t believe that the fan village is a public area as it’s partly on Marina Dolman Way and partly on the car park, both owned by City / Bristol Sport. As such City can introduce any checks it wants. 

14 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’ve never been searched on my way into the theatre, or the cinema. 

Should bus drivers search people as they are getting on a bus..?

Random searches are carried out at football as more of a deterrent than in any actual hope of discovering anything. 

There isnt a lot anywhere can actually do to stop some lunatic intent on harming people. Thankfully, they are very few and far between. Unfortunately, when they do decide to target somewhere, there’s not really much that can be done to stop them. 

Probably worth remembering as well that the Manchester Arena bombing was as people were leaving the venue. No amount of searching going in will stop this happening.

16 hours ago, Brizzol said:

How do man city maange it then? They searched every single city fan.

Unfortunately, as with all establishments in this country, security and security checks will almost always be reactive as opposed to pre-emptive.

What i'm saying is, it will take an 'incident' at a football ground/match in this country before blanket checks will be implemented across the board.

Yes certain locations will be an exception to this rule, but generally they have the money and resources in place to run these checks efficiently.

Finances are the point of failure in this, establishments will not 'waste' money on employing more people, installing more equipment etc to conduct stringent security checks on everyone until there is a 'valid' reason to do so. Unfortunately, this is almost always after the fact that an incident has occurred, proving the need.

Rightly or wrongly, Ashton Gate's current security posture, whilst not enough to thoroughly check everyone, will be sufficient to deal with what is deemed as the current risk level.

Archived