IGNORED

Gary Lineker

freezer

Prat or non-Prat.

Always thought as a player he was immense, especially for England. However, as a TV pundit, (w)anchorman, political voice box he's gone down in my estimation. Got a bit 'billy big testicles' for me.

An example of this was after Lee Johnson's half time comments on the Yeovil v Man Utd game, that you might need a Betamax video to of seen Linekers highlights compared to fellow panelists, Shearer and Wright, he just stared at the camera, obviously not impressed. He could have laughed it off or made a clever comment but had nothing to say.

Personally thought Lee's quip was pretty funny.

As you can guess, for me, he's in the Prat camp.

And breathe.......that's better

1 minute ago, freezer said:

Prat or non-Prat.

Always thought as a player he was immense, especially for England. However, as a TV pundit, (w)anchorman, political voice box he's gone down in my estimation. Got a bit 'billy big testicles' for me.

An example of this was after Lee Johnson's half time comments on the Yeovil v Man Utd game, that you might need a Betamax video to of seen Linekers highlights compared to fellow panelists, Shearer and Wright, he just stared at the camera, obviously not impressed. He could have laughed it off or made a clever comment but had nothing to say.

He was shaking his head when the camera went back to him & commented that any footage of him was probably in black & white now & then he had a laugh with Wright & Shearer about it! He took it all fine.

2 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

He was shaking his head when the camera went back to him & commented that any footage of him was probably in black & white now & then he had a laugh with Wright & Shearer about it! He took it all fine.

Yeah - I didn't get any sense that he was upset or offended. He's the first to laugh at himself. I think he's a very good presenter and a naturally funny guy. I really enjoy watching him on TV.

1 minute ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Vastly overpaid from the public purse under pain of imprisonment if you don't wish to contrbute to his lifestyle.  To add insult to injury he feels the need to constantly criticise and belittle many of those who fund his immense privilege.  A virtue signalling prat.

I think he may have less control over the license fee than you assume. Whatever you think of the BBC, it seems a bit daft to blame him for its existence. 

1 minute ago, Chris_Brown said:

I think he does a decent job. I like how animated Ian Wright gets at times too. Shearer however I find irritating. He doesn't offer any incisive analysis and is a bit too sympathetic to forwards doing the Fosbury flop in the penalty area.

I think Shearer is way, way better than he used to be. When he first started he was utterly useless.

Although he wasn't one of my heroes for obvious reasons, I really like the fact that such a successful international player for England takes such an interest in social and political issues and speaks his mind. It's better than most of the cr*p you get directly from footballers via the media (an abbreviated The Only Way Is Essex).

With that said, although I didn't see his dead pan to screen today (finished work after half time) it has struck me before that he must have a full time joke writer or a PR team giving him cues. There is no way he suddenly finds this level of consciousness and spontaneity just because Twitter exists.

As I recall at a prior world cup he dropped the Ronaldinho eating an apple through a tennis racket bomb, clearly not his own work. I think he has extended their remit to anything he says.

Please God this doesn't become a political argument. :facepalm:

22 minutes ago, freezer said:

Prat or non-Prat.

Non-prat. You’ve completely misread it.

24 minutes ago, freezer said:

Prat or non-Prat.

Maybe your set needs adjusting!? COYR 

11 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

I don't blame him for its existence I just think he should refrain from biting the hand that feeds so handsomely!

I'm with @Olé in that I really don't want this to become a political discussion and think anything going much further than this should move over to the politics board.

But I am always curious as to whether those who dislike Gary Lineker having political opinions either:

a) dislike BBC stars having political opinions

or

b) dislike BBC starts having political opinions that they don't agree with.

Let's not forget Jeremy Clarkson was employed by the BBC on a high salary for years and spent most of his time expressing political opinions that, in your words "belittled many who funded his immense privilege". But so what? I don't want TV presenters being tedious drones with nothing to say for themselves.  Clearly it matters if someone is presenting a news programme and has a clear political bias when they do so but I cannot see for the life of me why it mattes if someone like Clarkson or Lineker who is not presenting a news programme happens to want to express political opinions (especially given Lineker never does it when presenting on the BBC).

I think it is easy to be over-sensitive about these things. Lineker's political views are nothing to do with his football presenting or his work with the BBC and there is no logic to conflating the two. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm with @Olé in that I really don't want this to become a political discussion and think anything going much further than this should move over to the politics board.

But I am always curious as to whether those who dislike Gary Lineker having political opinions either:

a) dislike BBC stars having political opinions

or

b) dislike BBC starts having political opinions that they don't agree with.

Let's not forget Jeremy Clarkson was employed by the BBC on a high salary for years and spent most of his time expressing political opinions that, in your words "belittled many who funded his immense privilege". But so what? I don't want TV presenters being tedious drones with nothing to say for themselves.  Clearly it matters if someone is presenting a news programme and has a clear political bias when they do so but I cannot see for the life of me why it mattes if someone like Clarkson or Lineker who is not presenting a news programme happens to want to express political opinions (especially given Lineker never does it when presenting on the BBC).

I think it is easy to be over-sensitive about these things. Lineker's political views are nothing to do with his football presenting or his work with the BBC and there is no logic to conflating the two. 

I have deleted my comments as I agree they do not belong on this thread.

I quite like Lineker as a host / pundit, but anyone recall the FA Cup game v West Ham in 14/15 season.  After the game, we hung around trying to get a few autographs.  Lineker was so pissed off doing it, wouldn’t stop for a photo.  Maybe he just wanted to get home, I dunno.  Danny Murphy was quite chatty pre-game though.

706AD12D-AC76-410D-B3F2-D12049FE754D.jpeg

70A15DCC-05F1-4C99-8841-D71158F062B9.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I quite like Lineker as a host / pundit, but anyone recall the FA Cup game v West Ham in 14/15 season.  After the game, we hung around trying to get a few autographs.  Lineker was so pissed off doing it, wouldn’t stop for a photo.  Maybe he just wanted to get home, I dunno.  Danny Murphy was quite chatty pre-game though.

706AD12D-AC76-410D-B3F2-D12049FE754D.jpeg

70A15DCC-05F1-4C99-8841-D71158F062B9.jpeg

Met Lineker in Soho house once, it was just him and 3 attractive ladies by the bar :whistle:. Said hello whilst ordering some drinks. He was nice enough, although can’t remember too much as it was about 2am :blink:

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I thought it was faux indignation....  just goes to show how different people interpret things.

Very much this.

Even though he played for those utter scumbags at the other end of the Seven Sisters Road I quite like the guy.

Anyone on here want to say the same about Twentyman ;)

1 hour ago, freezer said:

Looks like I have called it wrong on this occasion guys, and thanks for the feedback.

Still not sure about him but happy to put my hands up and admit a bad shout.

Fair play for admitting that but never let the majority speak for you. If you don't like him say so. It's opinion doesn't make you wrong or others right. Until it's put on the OS obviously.....

Archived