IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Queens Park Rangers FC match day thread

Septic Peg

Good morning ladies and gents.

Unfortunately, Hav is otherwise indisposed so I step forth unto the breach.

Today's game is one we all looked in the list for, as everyone's favourite Gashead douses himself in holy water and he prepares to enter his own private version of Hell.

Yep, Skeletor/Hollowhead/That Bald ****/Ian Holloway is back in Bristol.

Ian's no novice to the banter and piss taking he receives from the AG faithful. He expects and accepts it. As he rightly should. But I pondered why he is given such vitrol? Other ex Gas have visited and yes, they get a few chants pelted at them but nothing in Ian's league. So let's look in the history books...

Ian was born and bred in the gas territory of Kingswood and joined the Rovers in his early 20s. It was his late 80s and late 90s stints when he returned to Rovers from other clubs, that he gained notority.

The earliest thing I can think of is the infamous 'bus tour' and his '3-0' shout to the 6 fingered crowd (or should that be crowed?). Yes back in 1990 they won promotion from Div 3 (League 1 in today's money) and whipped us 3-0 in the process... we also were promoted as runners up.

So this was the beginning. 

The next was a front page article from the local rag... "I ran for my life" it said.

Back in December 1996, an evening Bristol derby took place at AG, which ended 1-1. Queue the City fans erupting onto the pitch and Ian Holloway running faster down the Atyeo tunnel than Usain Bolt with a tailwind. 

Try as I might, I can't find any footage or the article online from that night (I'm sure someone can find it though)... So of course, we take the piss out of him for being melodramatic...

There are more in the intervening years, notably, when he signed Cureton to QPR or the infamous "today's woof day!" quote. Plenty has made us laugh and groan that he is one of Bristol's representatives in the footballing world...

Not withstanding, his own personal song...

But I will leave you with the funniest and most recent of all banter. No idea where it came from but it is beautiful. Priceless. Glorious.

And if you're behind the away dug out in the Lansdown, feel free to sing away...

2-2 draw. Price us up a chicken hutch boss. 

Come on you reds...

Massive game today, I don’t like using the phrase ‘must win’ but this is as close as we’ve had to one of those for a while. We really need to get back to winning ways and we won’t get a better chance than against a poor team with a dreadful away record. Add in the Holloway factor and it should be an entertaining afternoon. Anyone in the home stands who clap that **** should be thrown out in my opinion. 

I’m going 2-1 City in a tight game. Wright and Bobby with the goals.

COYR

14 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Wondering if Diony might make a sub appearance, whether Maggers will be dropped and whether Walsh or Kent will play today.

Will we see the Lois and Clark partnership take off?

I think Bryan will play LB, Kent will play left wing and Reid and Fammy will start up front. Not sure about Walsh in midfield, LJ might want to give someone a rest

Kind of feels like today is the start of a new period of the season, now that the cup games are out of the way. COYR

Archived