IGNORED

Ever watched Rovers at home not playing City?

bristolcitysweden

Lived in NE Somerset during the 1970s and used to drive into Bristol with my brother to watch either City or Rovers, if we didn't have a match of our own to play on a Saturday afternoon. I think we watched Rovers twice, but hated the style of football they played, so never went again. If City were playing away and we had no match of our own, we started going to watch Bath City. Much better than Rovers.

On 28/01/2018 at 12:56, OneCity said:

No idea of exact date I'm afraid, but I'd put it around '83 or '84. The one I went to wasn't Gary Mabbutt, it was organized for the benefit of Tim Parkin - I believe his son had cancer. I'm pretty sure that's what it was, and how me and my Dad got dibs on decent seats, as he was a friend of the family.

After much digging through Spurs records, Spurs played at Eastville 19.04.1983 and won 3-2.

Also 29.04.1985 winning 6-2! This was the charity match that I went to see. IIRC Ossie Ardiles played that night. 

So , one Saturday, about mid 80's , me and a mate in the pub and City away. We decide to go down to Eastville, they were playing Burnley, thought it might be interesting. In the open end and some gAss recognise my mate and move towards us, we move towards the fence a little just in case. OB move us away, we move back the Police were from Bath and we had words about our choice of where to stand. So I end up in the Cells by the Tote end. Thing is they can't put me in the Cell as it was there were Burnley lads in there, they wanted to ban me but couldn't find a photographer, which I was glad of because we were due to play there a week or so later. To top it off I kept walking over to the radio they had on because City were on. They ended up throwing me out when they finally realised the photographer was not coming. Tin pot even then ! 

I never went to watch Rovers however me and my mate a gas head when we were 13/14 used to go and stand on the Hill in the corner by the awayend when they had a big cup game.. Saw Villa and Man City in the Cup from that hill, it was a perfect location for a bit of free football when all we had was the bus fare.. Got Paul McGraths autograph that evening as he was leaving the ground.. Think Malcom Allison was in charge of Man City at the time..

The first 'professional' game I attended was at E*stville whilst still at primary school. The Sags were playing Oxford. I just naturally gravitated towards the Oxford end. Maybe it was disgusting smell of the T*te End, I don't know. But it was the second-best choice I ever made.

Early 90s and I was driving to Luton to see City in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Radio Brizz announced that the game was postponed due to a frozen pitch. Fortunately, we hadn't travelled far so drove home and booked tickets at the Villa as they were playing Rovers. 

We sat with Villa fans and watched them beat Rovers 1-0. Walking out of the ground, I happened to say rather loudly, "I wonder if any other City fan came to support the Villa?" With that, a few people in front of us turned round and acknowledged they had done the same thing! I recognised them from my Coach 2 days in the 80s.

2 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Early 90s and I was driving to Luton to see City in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Radio Brizz announced that the game was postponed due to a frozen pitch. Fortunately, we hadn't travelled far so drove home and booked tickets at the Villa as they were playing Rovers. 

We sat with Villa fans and watched them beat Rovers 1-0. Walking out of the ground, I happened to say rather loudly, "I wonder if any other City fan came to support the Villa?" With that, a few people in front of us turned round and acknowledged they had done the same thing! I recognised them from my Coach 2 days in the 80s.

I think this was the one we got there early and were in the pub when it was called off. Ended up at Watford to see Wolve beat them 4-1 . Did that trip to Luton twice only to have the game called off after we got there, bloody cess pit.

13 hours ago, Pound Lane Red said:

After much digging through Spurs records, Spurs played at Eastville 19.04.1983 and won 3-2.

Also 29.04.1985 winning 6-2! This was the charity match that I went to see. IIRC Ossie Ardiles played that night. 

Thanks for looking! The one in '83 must be the match I attended. 3-2 sounds right as well.

4 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

We sat with Villa fans and watched them beat Rovers 1-0. Walking out of the ground, I happened to say rather loudly, "I wonder if any other City fan came to support the Villa?" With that, a few people in front of us turned round and acknowledged they had done the same thing!

Did exactly the same thing, @Norn Iron. Although we were almost in Luton when we heard about the postponement. Happy days!

• Admin
13 hours ago, Pound Lane Red said:

Blimey had forgotten about this, remember my Primary school did a trip from WSM, took great pleasure if Spurs destroying them

Went to a few of their games including Doncaster final at millennium stadium and the play off final at Wembley because the ex mrs and her family and friends were gas. I never really used to follow local football too much at the time, until we split in 2008. Then, as I live in south bristol, went to a city game the same year and now been a season card holder for a few years now. Seen the light some might say 

On 1/27/2018 at 12:13, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, I have. 

In the Wycombe, the night they got relegated to the basement! 

Oh what a night that was.

2nd may 2001, still one of my favorite nights at football that one. Forever grateful for the WW fans for handing out jumpers, scarves and hats to hide the small sea of red from the invading stewards. 

On 1/27/2018 at 10:23, bristolcitysweden said:

I'm a ground hopper and eventually have to go to the Memorial Ground. The pain would be slightly eased by the fact the gipsys are at Bristol Rugbys ground but..

We are not likely to play them in the near future so..

What was it like?

I trust there will be no replies :yes: 

One for @Barry Sheene :thumbsup:

On 28/01/2018 at 09:27, 1960maaan said:

I was there then, the Chelsea lads knew we were City and were as good as gold. I think that was the one it was carnage on Stapleton road. Hardly opened my mouth on the way home, what with gAssheads being thrown off of the subways apparently.

At that one too, about 40/50 of us went in the Dolman, and promptly got thrown out.

At that one as well, 5-1 someone sprayed that score over the subways by the tote end, along with City slogans Good Wolves team that :clapping:

The only time I ever went when City weren't playing was the 5 -1 defeat to Wolves

Boxing day if memory serves. A girl I fancied wanted to go. They were 3 - 0 down at half time and the girl shouted "mugs away" as they kicked off for the second half. Lots of them joined in the laughter!

In the 70's when I was a young lad we lived close to Eastville stadium. My dad used to take me to Ashton Gate 1 week and the next me and my mates used to watch the 1st half of Rovers from the old railway embankment (you could see about 2/3rds of the pitch) and then at half time we would get into the open end when they opened the big gates to the car park.

Also remember watching many a City v Rovers game at Eastville and Ashton gate. Really miss the old Gloucester cup games each year.

On 27/01/2018 at 21:09, Offside said:

I've never had the misfortune to watch the fewers when it's not a derby and I can't imagine it ever happening. I didn't even like going past Eastville on the M32 when they were playing.

I remember when they first opened the M32 and people used to slow down and stop one the hard shoulder to watch the football.

They used to give free to tickets to schools, so remember standing on an Eastville terrace for free at the start of the 80's ... we started singing City songs but the teachers very quickly stopped us.

Initially thought it was because Rovers fans may not like it, but then the teachers told us we were in the away end ... and Rovers were playing Millwall!!!!! 

Remember celebrating the Millwall goal as they beat the Gas 1-0 though!

I was a student in the very late 70’s and worked for Bristol stadium company on the tote at greyhound meetings and as a gateman for the rovers. I got an extra 50p for working the gate till half time and used the money to pay my entrance to Ashton gate the following week. I didn’t watch much of the football and tended to leave before the end of the game but lots of the gatemen worked both city and rovers back in the day. 

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:23, bristolcitysweden said:

I'm a ground hopper and eventually have to go to the Memorial Ground. The pain would be slightly eased by the fact the gipsys are at Bristol Rugbys ground but..

We are not likely to play them in the near future so..

What was it like?

I trust there will be no replies :yes: 

Just go in the away end and adopt the away team for a day:chant6ez:

Many years ago when I was a teenager I used to go to City home matches and when they were away, I would go to Eastville  with some mates of mine who were Rovers fans. The main reason was that at Eastville you could buy a pint at the bar, and drink it on the terraces. There was always plenty of room. Being from St George it was an easy walk. All my family supported St George [they hated Rovers]. My Dad told me that my Grandfather who played for St George in the early 1900's always called the Rovers the crawlers, he didn't know why. When I started work in 1971 I came to my senses and was a one team man, although I did watch St George occasionally. 

Archived