IGNORED

League Cup Run did cost us plenty of points

cheshire_red

22 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Can never be sure, but it feels like it has cost us points. However, in the round it has been worth it, at least to me. Might be wrong, but we also lost Fammy to injury in a cup game? Equally who is to say the cup run has not generated the cash or profile to attract players in this window that now power us on?

in the round, given were we are, one cup run is enough, so happy to be out of the FA Cup.

Agreed, but it does feel like we had suffered in another way with that extraordinary run, but if we don't get promoted the winning goal against Man U will be the champagne moment. Throw in we are not in a relegation scrap for once, we can go all guns blazing and see where that takes us...exciting times.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I responded to your post, reasons are within.

As I said, it is just speculation.

You cannot know for sure that the League Cup caused us to drop points.

No ulterior motives.

So why the rubbish add? It was a reasonable response, and of course I or you cannot prove if the run was/ is the problem, but to rubbish it..come on!

2 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

So why the rubbish add? It was a reasonable response, and of course I or you cannot prove if the run was/ is the problem, but to rubbish it..come on!

Already answered.

I rubbished it because of your utterly paranoid assertion of ulterior motives.

Keep your tin hat on.

What people ignore when they talk about how the cup run has affected our season is how big a role thrashing Palace and drawing Utd and the boost in confidence that provided following the Leeds and Burton results may have played in our great run over Nov/Dec. We won virtually every game in the run up to that tie, it can swing both ways.

Cardiff lost 4 on the bounce over Xmas, Sheff Utd had 1 win in 10 - neither of those had any cup distractions. It's just that time in the season when games and injuries pile up and blips tend to happen. The extra games may not have hepled, but too much is being made of it imo, and there's nothing to say we wouldn't have suffered a dip in form cup run or no, everyone does at some point.

1 minute ago, bcfctim said:

What people ignore when they talk about how the cup run has affected our season is how big a role thrashing Palace and drawing Utd and the boost in confidence that provided following the Leeds and Burton results may have played in our great run over Nov/Dec. We won virtually every game in the run up to that tie, it can swing both ways.

Cardiff lost 4 on the bounce over Xmas, Sheff Utd had 1 win in 10 - neither of those had any cup distractions. It's just that time in the season when games and injuries pile up and blips tend to happen. The extra games may not have hepled, but too much is being made of it imo, and there's nothing to say we wouldn't have suffered a dip in form cup run or no, everyone does at some point.

We had a fitter squad before the final run in, and playing top drawer teams just impacted more, what I don't understand is why some can't understand that, even the media made comments supporting that.

1 hour ago, bcfctim said:

Not until seasons end can we be sure of the effects of the cup run. If we fail to finish top six, it will be the injuries that will be the biggest effect. 

Surely beating four premier sides should give the players the confidence to go on and fear nobody in this league. 

Having said that, our high press game relies on a supreme fitness over the whole season, and remains to be seen if it can be maintained. 

However,  I feel this team have a togetherness and resolve that if not this season,  then next could be even stronger,  and if we lose a player or two, the club will find ready replacements.

I wouldn't have swapped that cup run for the world, it was thrilling and has propelled us into the national conscience-people saw what we can do, our identity etc and it's promoted big time. 

My take is that hopefully our recent league form is just our wobbly patch and that soon things will be back to normal. Rather that then go charging off like Derby only to collapse with the finish line in sight...

• Admin
2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Here's a hypothetical for you - you just so happened to be in the coffee shop at AG one day and on the table next to you was LJ, Ashton and Cole Skuse.

Johnson says to you 'Robbored my old chum, I am here with Mark because Cole Skuse is going to sign for us'

Skuse nods in agreement. Ashton is brandishing a contract which Skuse is signing.

(In a disused coffee cup on the table is an excel spreadsheet with the squad's wages on.)

Would you still only believe Skuse was signing when it's published on the website or would that be evidence enough for you?

I believe you missed out the part where Robbored denied in fact being the user Robbored 

3 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Of the six League games after each round of the Cup we have won just one of six, away at Sunderland of the others we drew with Villa, Norwich and QPR and lost two to Birmingham and Norwich. Hadn't realised that until reading the excellent Loft for Words match preview https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/47389/qpr-hope-to-profit-from-any-city-cup-hangover--preview

Don’t buy this argument at all. For a start, the first three cup games featured largely second-string teams so the physical impact on our first choice team would have been minimal. There is absolutely no guarantee those results would have been any different without prior cup games. And this doesn’t take into account the overall confidence and general feel-good factor around the club generated in part by the cup run, which is less easily quantifiable and might have contributed to victories in other games that might otherwise have been defeats or draws.

There are too many variables in football, and too little between so many sides in the Championship, to draw firms conclusions like this with any sort of certainty. Sometimes you just lose because the other team scores more goals.

9 minutes ago, Icelandic Clap said:

I wouldn't have swapped that cup run for the world, it was thrilling and has propelled us into the national conscience-people saw what we can do, our identity etc and it's promoted big time. 

My take is that hopefully our recent league form is just our wobbly patch and that soon things will be back to normal. Rather that then go charging off like Derby only to collapse with the finish line in sight...

Derby may well get promoted this season, but with what kind of infrastructure to maintain their place?

They have chosen to buy experience to get them there, most have played and struggled previously in the prem, so wouldn't want that for our club.

Archived