IGNORED

Baker - Red Card

Bristol Rob

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yep and clearly was a frustration foul. That was yellow then Bobby got one a min later for something I didn’t even think was a foul. The ref was so inconsistent. 

I didn’t think it was red but there is no chance it’ll be overturned. More maddening is that the guy fouled rolled 7 times holding his knee with contact no higher than his ankle. So he cons the ref and nothing. 

The last sentence is essentially what Wright was suspended for.

So in theory we should have grounds for an appeal, however I bet if we do appeal it will go against us.

32 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

The Wolves tackle was different and more deserving of a red, albeit still a harsh red.

That player was going into Magnússon, Bakers tackle was side on. Huge amount of difference in force when contact is made.

Still two footed with both feet of the ground makes no difference

3 minutes ago, Sparkz 76 said:

Still two footed with both feet of the ground makes no difference

One is more likely to cause injury in the other, so it is more dangerous.

Dangerous play being a factor that gets taken into account, so it does make a difference.

Another difference is that a launched tackle on the edge oppositions penalty area is completely unnecessary, Baker was stretching to reach across and get the ball, if he doesn't make the tackle it is Scowen vs Steele (and perhaps Flint if he's got back across).

I personally would go yellow but I can see why it's been considered a red, given the pace and lack of control there's a case for it being serious foul play.

Baker didn't need to do it, it's the one weakness he has as a defender that every so often he makes rash, poor decisions like that one.

The ref was awful but if he got this wrong it wasn't by much at all.

4 minutes ago, ColeCiderRed said:

While I agree with aspect. Does it not go on the impact with the player? Which is minimal at best

The letter of the law is:

"Any player who lunges at an opponent when challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent, is guilty of serious foul play."

There's nothing in there about whether you hit them, whether you win the ball, whether they actually get injured, or whether it was intentional.

It was like a momentary flashback to s few seasons ago: Flint unable to play the ball on the deck, and Baker making a rash challenge that's going to result in either a card or an injury!

I can't see us winning an appeal. I think most refs would have given a yellow, but at the end of the day it's down to the refs judgement between the two. It's not like there was no contact, a dive etc. Yes I think Scowen made the most of it, yes Stroud is a complete knob, but can't see that it's going to get overturned.

Anyone saying “never a red” is kidding themselves. At best it’s arguable, but there is no denying it was a rash, uncontrolled challenge from Baker who took the man and not the ball. He gives the ref a decision to make - without the benefit of multiple-angle replays - and I blame Baker for that, not the referee.

89B4B1BE-ED9D-420C-ADE3-805439086BEF.jpeg

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Anyone saying “never a red” is kidding themselves. At best it’s arguable, but there is no denying it was a rash, uncontrolled challenge from Baker who took the man and not the ball. He gives the ref a decision to make - without the benefit of multiple-angle replays - and I blame Baker for that, not the referee.

89B4B1BE-ED9D-420C-ADE3-805439086BEF.jpeg

Showing one freeze frame is stupid and needless.

100% red in this day and age. You just can’t go into a tackle at that speed off the ground. No point in appealing as the FA would add another game on for a frivolous appeal.

Saying that, Stroud and his assistants game control today was very poor and his style smacks of someone who has never played at a decent level.

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Showing one freeze frame is stupid and needless.

“Stupid”, really? Would it kill you to be a little more respectful Dave? 

There is a growing body of evidence on this thread -  either one way or the other - depending on your view. This frame simply adds to the discussion and gives people something else to consider when forming their opinion.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He needs to learn how to slide tackle. He goes in like that every time. If he misses the ball then he's off, and even when he wins the ball, one could argue is it dangerous and should he be penalised.

Thanks for a decent contribution to the discussion, despite my stupid and needless freeze frame.

Flints pass was poor, but Baker starts in the far side of the field and has to run 30 yards to make the tackle. Scowen equally runs 30 yards to get the ball. The tackle is made 10 yards away from the touchline and 10 yards away from where our left back started when the ball was played by Flint  

The question I and those around me were asking was, where is our left back? 

Flint’s pass was poor, but our left back made no attempt to help out Baker. If he’d reacted as quickly as Baker & Scowen did, he’d have got there 15 yards ahead of both of them. 

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

“Stupid”, really? Would it kill you to be a little more respectful Dave? 

There is a growing body of evidence on this thread -  either one way or the other - depending on you view. This frame simply adds to the discussion and gives people something else to consider when forming their opinion.

You could also show a freeze frame a few moments later when Baker is flat on the floor and it looks a totally different story.

I have seen players get away with worse tackles and on another day Baker may have only seen yellow.

If we have differing opinions having watched a replay the ref has no chance.

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Flints pass was poor, but Baker starts in the far side of the field and has to run 30 yards to make the tackle. Scowen equally runs 30 yards to get the ball. The tackle is made 10 yards away from the touchline and 10 yards away from where our left back started when the ball was played by Flint  

The question I and those around me were asking was, where is our left back? 

Flint’s pass was poor, but our left back made no attempt to help out Baker. If he’d reacted as quickly as Baker & Scowen did, he’d have got there 15 yards ahead of both of them. 

Up the field. Flinty could've avoided all this if he'd simply skied it back upfield where 90% of our players were , as they had just been undertaking an attack. 

4 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

You could also show a freeze frame a few moments later when Baker is flat on the floor and it looks a totally different story.

I have seen players get away with worse tackles and on another day Baker may have only seen yellow.

If we have differing opinions having watched a replay the ref has no chance.

Indeed you could and I’m not asking people to make their mind up based on one freeze frame, as I said I’m simply adding to the discussion. The image I posted does show that Baker’s position before making the tackle was unusual and did not lend itself to a clean challenge.

Archived