IGNORED

Baker - Red Card

Bristol Rob

Baker has a second or two to think whilst in a leg race with Scowen. He’s thinking it ain’t looking good but if I make it great, if not I’m taking the man and taking a yellow. He arrives a fraction late and it’s the latter. 

The speed of it and Scowen making a meal of it threw the ref. Baker was unlucky it was red. 

I wouldn’t view it as out of control or even reckless, he knew exactly what he was doing. What bothers me more is he didn’t have to make the challenge and give the ref a decision to which card he pulled out.

Should have been a yellow. 

The QPR player looked like he was going for the world record for the number of rolls he did.

Another issue though is how it stemmed from a misplaced pass across the pitch. It is admirable how we try to play the ball out, but recently there is a bit of a pattern developing where losing the ball has cost us (e.g. Pack v Wolves, Mags v Manchester, sending off today). Quite a few times I have a sharp intake of breath when an opposition player nearly intercepts one of our square passes along the back. I love the way we are playing, but this seems to be one area teams are trying to exploit.

Clear Red real time and looks worse on TV. After a 30 yard sprint and with both feet off the ground he has no control and slices through the side/rear of his opponent. That's dangerous in any book and he doesn't even have the excuse of being within a country mile of the ball. Baker's a top player and isn't malicious but this was exuberence twinned with stupidity ( he could have easily run the fella off at the pass.)

Screenshot_20180127-235632.jpg

9 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Clear Red real time and looks worse on TV. After a 30 yard sprint and with both feet off the ground he has no control and slices through the side/rear of his opponent. That's dangerous in any book and he doesn't even have the excuse of being within a country mile of the ball. Baker's a top player and isn't malicious but this was exuberence twinned with stupidity ( he could have easily run the fella off at the pass.)

Yeah because still frames clearly show the decision to be right or wrong.

10 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Nope ....gets a clear touch on the ball ...just watched it in slow mo 

18 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Yeah because still frames clearly show the decision to be right or wrong.

Unlike the numerous fans hereabouts and at the game who clearly do not understand the basics of Law 12 (Professional Foul (sic) wherever that's referenced.)

For every infringement , wherever on the park, the official first decides whether it's DOGSO. His second decision is then simply whether the infringement was Serious/Violent/Dangerous, Reckless, or an infringement. The combination of both decisions informs the punishment.

4 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

when I slowed it down he definitely gets the ball FIRST.....

But Law 12 makes no reference to whether or not the ball is played before the player. If the official considers the player's actions Serious, Violent or Dangerous then it's a sending off. With both feet off the ground and coming from the side/rear Baker had no control over his movement and therefore whether his impact might harm his opponent. That's Dangerous and why he was correctly dismissed. Ref got a few things wrong today, but this wasn't one of them.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

But Law 12 makes no reference to whether or not the ball is played before the player. If the official considers the player's actions Serious, Violent or Dangerous then it's a sending off. With both feet off the ground and coming from the side/rear Baker had no control over his movement and therefore whether his impact might harm his opponent. That's Dangerous and why he was correctly dismissed. Ref got a few things wrong today, but this wasn't one of them.

Exactly this. When Batth got sent off for Wolves against us he played the ball first, doesn't mean the challenge isn't worthy of a red card unfortunately.

7 hours ago, city1983 said:

Idiot then. Nothing confusing about what I said. 

Stop the insults....loads confusing about your post...you think the ref thought ‘oh I think I heard some ooohs and aaahs, better send him off then...’ ????? - you think he is influenced to that extent by background noise from the home fans that he wouldn’t have been aware of anyway?! Perhaps you need to look in the mirror for the next insult....

8 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

So one each for the first two... What do you think the 3rd/4th officials would say... ?  :) 

PS ... Thought by todays standards it was a bit rash/reckless so Red.... (& I'm one who still misses the glorious Gows, Hunters & Kellards of yesteryear)  ...

Could have cost us dear today, thankfully it didn't, but, for that reason wouldn't be surprised to see a 'club fine' issued, very important that at this stage of the season we need to keep our heads cool and maintain discipline.

Well deserved credit where its due, its been fantastic so far, but can't afford to trip ourselves up cheaply (pun intended) .

Have a day off. "Club fine" for a contentious red card is only going to cause issues in the dressing room.

4 hours ago, BITW said:

I think the sprint/run up from Baker makes it look a lot worse than the challenge itself. Still reckless though and while it wasn’t a red IMO, I wouldn’t hold any hope of it being overturned. 

Yep absolutely zero chance sure the club wont bother and risk an extra game.

8 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Scowen arrived after Bakes had nicked the ball away . He was clearly looking to get Bakes sent off.

When Bakes plays the ball Scowen is not in any danger .

Archived