IGNORED

Game Management Today

Mr Popodopolous

This was one of our flaws last season. Especially during the bad spell...Reading and Cardiff 2-3 defeats, successive home League games was the nadir.

What a difference a year can make though. Down to 10 nearly an hour plus stoppage time. Really we were not in much danger... Tactically sound,  very professional, defending as and when needed. Excellent in this area today I thought.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This was one of our flaws last season. Especially during the bad spell...Reading and Cardiff 2-3 defeats, successive home League games was the nadir.

What a difference a year can make though. Down to 10 nearly an hour plus stoppage time. Really we were not in much danger... Tactically sound,  very professional, defending as and when needed. Excellent in this area today I thought.

Indeed. 

LJ and the entire players that took part were excellent.Theyve all learned the importance of seeing a game out and that comes from the top.

Brilliant effort and game management except for one incident near the end. We had a free kick near the left hand corner flag. QPR sent four forward and we had to cover that leaving just Flint and one other in the box and we sent the free kick into the box when I felt we should have kept it in the corner and played short passes as QPR were only matching us for numbers in the corner. Great opportunity to have ran the clock down.

2 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Agreed, I would have gone 3411 at HT but probably told players to give it their all for 20 before he made changes.

Smith is the best RB at the club but also the best CM too 

When Smith went back into midfield we looked so much more solid, I get he has been put out there as a stop gap a few times this season but we don't half miss him centrally 

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

After we scored our first, Bailey Wright made a conscious and very visible point of staying in QPR's half whilst all the other players celebrated in front of our bench.

As everyone walked back into position, he made a point of getting Fam to stay in their half whilst the team lined up. It stops QPR kicking off and resuming play whilst we're out of position and risking conceding.

It's little professional touches - and how both Korey Smith and recently Joe Bryan always fall onto the ball and scoop it up in their hands when they go down -  like that which stop us being caught out by street smart teams and win us key moments.

9 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

After we scored our first, Bailey Wright made a conscious and very visible point of staying in QPR's half whilst all the other players celebrated in front of our bench.

As everyone walked back into position, he made a point of getting Fam to stay in their half whilst the team lined up. It stops QPR kicking off and resuming play whilst we're out of position and risking conceding.

It's little professional touches - and how both Korey Smith and recently Joe Bryan always fall onto the ball and scoop it up in their hands when they go down -  like that which stop us being caught out by street smart teams and win us key moments.

Nice spot, love noticing little things like that. 

6 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Agreed, I would have gone 3411 at HT but probably told players to give it their all for 20 before he made changes.

Smith is the best RB at the club but also the best CM too 

But that opening 10-12 minutes of the second half, we were right under the cosh...again missing Smith’s industry in midfield like Tuesday.  Heard a few people prior to the game wondering why Brownhill had been dropped - think it was clear that he’d been rotated...and he was perfect to come on, with his energy for a team down to 10.

Johnson got it spot on when he brought Brownhill and Magnússon.  Wasn’t sure whether it was 441 or 531, but we suddenly had energy and short passing triangles that was too cute for QPR.

3 hours ago, gordie said:

When Smith went back into midfield we looked so much more solid, I get he has been put out there as a stop gap a few times this season but we don't half miss him centrally 

Yes, huge difference.

6 hours ago, eardun said:

When did we last win with 10 men?

I don't know the opposition but haven't we had Tinman and Fontaine go in goal at home and still win?

Buzzing for how much more of a take down our performance with ten men was today though...

Great we regrouped and got a much needed win, not knocking that achievement at all but I thought QPR were the poorest side I’ve seen down there this season. Millwall and Burton don’t count as they came to do a job on us and succeeded, but QPR offered  very little. I wouldn’t want any of their players, even Smith looked terrible in that team.

Archived