IGNORED

Players coming back, Gary O' Neil

DT The Optimist

I actually think GON might be an important player heading in to the second half of the season.

I know we play quick intricate football through the middle but I can see him being used away from home if we’re defending a lead.

Certainly not a bad option to have.

Cant wait for COD & Pisano to be back around the starting line up, I think we’re in a fantastic position now with players returning and solid additions to the squad.

COYR!

2 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I actually think GON might be an important player heading in to the second half of the season.

I know we play quick intricate football through the middle but I can see him being used away from home if we’re defending a lead.

Certainly not a bad option to have.

Cant wait for COD & Pisano to be back around the starting line up, I think we’re in a fantastic position now with players returning and solid additions to the squad.

COYR!

Pretty much this, but even then only if Pack/Smith have tired to the extent they're struggling. 

no, I don't think he can play  the pressing high temp game we are playing now.

He may be useful off the bench for a bit of game management if we have got a decent lead, apart from that, I don't see a place for him, especially with other midfielders he will be blocking from getting on the bench or god forbid the starting 11

1 minute ago, TRL said:

no, I don't think he can play  the pressing high temp game we are playing now.

He may be useful off the bench for a bit of game management if we have got a decent lead, apart from that, I don't see a place for him, especially with other midfielders he will be blocking from getting on the bench or god forbid the starting 11

I refer you to the Huddersfield game last season when he chased back, harried a player by our corner flag, nicked the ball, and played a lovely pass that opened up the midfield, starting the move that led to a goal.

Just now, chinapig said:

I refer you to the Huddersfield game last season when he chased back, harried a player by our corner flag, nicked the ball, and played a lovely pass that opened up the midfield, starting the move that led to a goal.

Last year we were not even close to playing the high tempo game we are playing now,  I really don't think he could live with it, best part of a year out, I expect still more niggly injuries to come and in his mid thirties, I just see his inclusion as slowing down a midfield that is now required to run, harrass, win the ball back within 6 seconds lay off quickly, its just not his game, he would have probably been okay 8 years ago,not now,and not for the way this team plays.

Happy to be proved wrong though, just can see him being upto it for 60 minutes let alone 90

1 minute ago, TRL said:

Last year we were not even close to playing the high tempo game we are playing now,  I really don't think he could live with it, best part of a year out, I expect still more niggly injuries to come and in his mid thirties, I just see his inclusion as slowing down a midfield that is now required to run, harrass, win the ball back within 6 seconds lay off quickly, its just not his game, he would have probably been okay 8 years ago,not now,and not for the way this team plays.

Happy to be proved wrong though, just can see him being upto it for 60 minutes let alone 90

I doubt he could do it for 90 minutes but he could still play a role as a sub I think, especially if we are trying to close out a game.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I doubt he could do it for 90 minutes but he could still play a role as a sub I think, especially if we are trying to close out a game.

I had that thought, purely for game management, but i'd be loathed to have one of our other midfield players missing out on the match day squad to accommodate him, they should be kept hungry,not held back for the likes of GON.  Just my opinion  of course

He gets a lot of negative comment on here, but his potential usefulness is underestimated. The guy has played in no fewer than four teams that have been promoted to the PL. He offers a wealth of experience and a certain authority on the field. He may well have some part to play this season, particularly in the circumstances mentioned by others e.g. game management and closing games out in the late stages. We have not seen the best of him, partly because of injuries, but it is premature to dismiss him.

I think he could be of massive value around the dressing room due to his experience. I can't see him starting but, as others have said, I think he could be valuable as a sub to close out games and show a bit of nouse. If we're using Brownhill out wide then we only have three other central midfielders and I think Walsh is a very different type of player so I don't see it as him taking up a place someone else could be using. I see it as having a different option for certain games. 

O’Neil was already doing the pressing game before he was injured. He always puts himself about. Chasing one player then moving on to chase another. The question is how long can he last in a game. Only putting him in will we know. An experienced player who will be useful in our young side. 

Cant believe people are so sure he will have nothing to offer.

As has been said played in promotion sides from this division a wealth of experience for our young side.

The more strings we have the better and if Johnson somewhere down the line sticks him in the side would you argue ?

If were to make it all of the squad will have a part to play.

23 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

And now you want him GON...he is a classy player, LJ thinks so I guess, don't get your attitude towards him.

I watched virtually every game last season and he was really poor. From October onwards he was a liability.  I saw him and tomlin’s poor form as major factor in our slide in form last season and it wasn’t until Johnson dropped those 2 that we finally improved.  Not a patch on what we have. Bench at best. Seriously why is he rated? It can’t be based on anything from last season. 

28 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Plays with heart but not good enough for the current squad - odd but I am even beginning to rate Pack - poor pass completion overshadowed by the quality of the  passes that do actually reach their targets!!!

Not just that. He adds height to the midfield and stops teams from winning high balls easily. When he doesn’t play the centre backs look more stretched and less comfortable. 

1 hour ago, redfieldred said:

I watched virtually every game last season and he was really poor. From October onwards he was a liability.  I saw him and tomlin’s poor form as major factor in our slide in form last season and it wasn’t until Johnson dropped those 2 that we finally improved.  Not a patch on what we have. Bench at best. Seriously why is he rated? It can’t be based on anything from last season. 

Playing with niggly injuries can do that to a player.

He’s a good player who we’ve not seen the best of.

Last season away to Villa hecwas quality for 45 minutes.  Could do a job, experience will be an asset, even if it’s just around the training ground.

7 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Given he is not a starter - who would you rather have on the bench Hegeler (who can cover defence as well), Walsh (who has energy and a point to prove), Brownhill (who has bags of energy and creativity) or O'Neill  - I know who I would let go?

Quite - especially with the wages he is on.

10 hours ago, dave36 said:

Plays with heart but not good enough for the current squad - odd but I am even beginning to rate Pack - poor pass completion overshadowed by the quality of the  passes that do actually reach their targets!!!

Is over 80% pass completion too low for you? Bullshit post tbh.

Looky here: https://www.whoscored.com/Players/79897/Show/Marlon-Pack

Archived