IGNORED

Players coming back, Gary O' Neil

DT The Optimist

2 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

ready made replacement for wilbs,purely for experience helping the younger ones stay calm.knows what to do and when to do it.great sub to have for last part of the season

You say that but he's doing a Tomlin from what I've been told.

Refused to move house (kids settled at school which is fair enough) so commutes from Norwich to Bristol and back every day he's required in training. If he doesn't want to uproot the family, why not rent a place in Bristol during the week? 

Not at many social engagements and like I said previously, he wasn't at the Man U game or Man C games. Both Pisano and O'Dowda were at both.

Fammy was at Man U game and Hegeler was at Man C whilst still recovering.

If they can make the effort for team unity whilst crocked, why can't Gary O'Neil?

14 hours ago, redfieldred said:

I watched virtually every game last season and he was really poor. From October onwards he was a liability.  I saw him and tomlin’s poor form as major factor in our slide in form last season and it wasn’t until Johnson dropped those 2 that we finally improved.  Not a patch on what we have. Bench at best. Seriously why is he rated? It can’t be based on anything from last season. 

I thought he was a big part of our good start last season (before he was sent off after that Tomlin penalty). He was carrying injuries after that 

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Refused to move house (kids settled at school which is fair enough) so commutes from Norwich to Bristol and back every day he's required in training. If he doesn't want to uproot the family, why not rent a place in Bristol during the week? 

Not at many social engagements and like I said previously, he wasn't at the Man U game or Man C games. Both Pisano and O'Dowda were at both.

If they can make the effort for team unity whilst crocked, why can't Gary O'Neil?

That’s interesting....I heard that he was helping with the Academy stuff?

Pisano has been at all of the games of late.  Yesterday was a bit weird though.  I arrived at 14;00 and had to wait to get in the car park because Eros’s car was in the way....he was dropping off his other half and baby.  I thought he was just gonna park up, but he reversed up and left the ground.  15 minutes later he’s walking past he LS towards the player’s entrance.  No idea what happened to his car?

Hegeler, Wright and Steele were at the Basketball last night, adding their support.  They all took on the 30 second Free-Throw challenge, so hopefully Jens getting close the fitness.

I think he is on the tail end of his playing career and would not be surprised to see him shipped out over the next couple of days... I expect we were his last big pay day... Never seen him have a brilliant game for us so will not miss him but wish him all the best with his career

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That’s interesting....I heard that he was helping with the Academy stuff?

Pisano has been at all of the games of late.  Yesterday was a bit weird though.  I arrived at 14;00 and had to wait to get in the car park because Eros’s car was in the way....he was dropping off his other half and baby.  I thought he was just gonna park up, but he reversed up and left the ground.  15 minutes later he’s walking past he LS towards the player’s entrance.  No idea what happened to his car?

Hegeler, Wright and Steele were at the Basketball last night, adding their support.  They all took on the 30 second Free-Throw challenge, so hopefully Jens getting close the fitness.

No idea re Gaz/Academy stuff.

I expect Pisano parked in the Atyeo car park?

4 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

I think he lived in South London not Norwich and was having a driver bring him down and back (which he was paying for) unlike Tomlin who was driving himself. I also think I heard he had moved the family down here back in the summer but could be wrong about that.

The O’Neil I saw was one who hounded the opposition, closed one player down and then chased after another. His passing is pretty accurate and can remember him dinking a pass over the opposition to set up a goal. He’s also useful in the air. A fully fit, aggressive and determined O’Neil will be challenging for a central midfield place. Im sure LJ will use him there to give Smith and Pack some rest. 

I'll stand by the comments I made back in October.,  

He has now started something like 23 out of a possible 90 games for us so considering the wage we will be paying him he will be one of our worst ever signings. Don't take a step backwards with these older players let's keep focussing on energetic youth.

By whatever means get him off the books ASAP

If he is fit & Pack gets suspended for accumulated yellows, then GO'N would be the ideal replacement. Plays a similar game, but taller, more experienced & before the injuries, definitely faster than Pack.

He will certainly be around until the end of the season, and given his experience of getting promoted from this division, he is at the very least a resource on what might  or might not constitute a marginal gain that could make the difference during the run-in.

16 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Dont think any of us has seen a fully fit GON yet. Been involved in 5 promotions is it ? from Championship. Experience like that, on or off of the pitch, will be invaluable in the run in. 

1 hour ago, Between heaven and hell said:

I'll stand by the comments I made back in October.,  

He has now started something like 23 out of a possible 90 games for us so considering the wage we will be paying him he will be one of our worst ever signings. Don't take a step backwards with these older players let's keep focussing on energetic youth.

By whatever means get him off the books ASAP

In that very informative interview that Steve Allen gave back in the last international break he spoke at length about G O'N. He said that he had worked with him before and that he was always one of the fittest players at the club. He went on to say that, we hadn't seen him fully fit, which was a shame because he is "a top, top player". I know he is a physio rather than a pure football man, but I would think his opinion counts for something.

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

In that very informative interview that Steve Allen gave back in the last international break he spoke at length about G O'N. He said that he had worked with him before and that he was always one of the fittest players at the club. He went on to say that, we hadn't seen him fully fit, which was a shame because he is "a top, top player". I know he is a physio rather than a pure football man, but I would think his opinion counts for something.

Thanks for that, personally I would rather the sort of wages he is on would be going to a younger and hungrier player.

3 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Thanks for that, personally I would rather the sort of wages he is on would be going to a younger and hungrier player.

We have lots of those, but it seems clear that the Management team felt they needed to bring an experienced pro to add something else. It's a shame it hasn't worked that way and it could be that our younger midfield players have gathered sufficient experience between them for you to get your wish. 

Providing we can keep him fit, O’Neil will be a big asset in the run in to promotion. Before his injury, O’Neil was very mobile, chasing after opponents, one after the other. He’s no mug in the air either and is accurate passing the ball. I like his aggression and determination. Would have no hesitation in putting O’ Neil in. He will enable LJ to rest Pack and Smith without weakening our team. We are going to have rotation when players like O’Dowda, Djuric and O’Neil are fit.

On 27/01/2018 at 19:06, JonDolman said:

Gary o'neil has played right back in the past. Is that an option with wright moving inside?

I would have GON ahead of Liam Walsh at this stage. Walsh hasn't set the world on fire. I'm sure he will come good but GON a better option at this stage of season. 

On 27/01/2018 at 19:08, CliftonCliff said:

He gets a lot of negative comment on here, but his potential usefulness is underestimated. The guy has played in no fewer than four teams that have been promoted to the PL. He offers a wealth of experience and a certain authority on the field. He may well have some part to play this season, particularly in the circumstances mentioned by others e.g. game management and closing games out in the late stages. We have not seen the best of him, partly because of injuries, but it is premature to dismiss him.

This is pretty much my view.

He's one of the few players in the squad with experience of winning promotion to the Premiership, experience which could be crucial in the coming weeks.

He's also a player of some quality who can play the deep midfield role where we're really not all that strong. If something happens to Marlon Pack then I see O'Neill as the closest direct replacement.

3 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Crying out loud, give the lad a chance, he has only been here 5 minutes

Agreed and I thought he looked decent against Norwich (being subbed to early in my opinion). Man City 2nd leg passed him by, but the same could be said for many (far more experienced) midfielders that have faced them this season.

Archived