IGNORED

Racism at football

The dastardly red

45 minutes ago, nickolas said:

If the FA wont cut out what Firmino said to the Everton defender a few weeks back then i dont think anything will change anywhere!

#sweptunderthecarpet

What actually happened was that Firminho called him a crazy son of a bitch in spanish and Holgate is too stupid to recognise what language he's being spoken to in.

18 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

Because when I hear rubbish like that, my first thought isn't "I'll report this" 

But you will scurry along home and start a thread on an online forum about said issue?

No offence OP but this is a prime example of todays pretty gutless society, its much easier to just sit at home behind a screen and vent than it is to face the issue there and then. I mean whats the point even mentioning it on here if you did nothing at the time? A pretty pointless exercise really and the racist will im sure carry on untill somebody has the balls to confront him/report him.

5 minutes ago, Oops said:

The OP needs to provide some context for a start, and the comment "I'm a woman, by the way" is crass in the extreme.

Like it matters:facepalm:

I think people were referring to her as 'he' and then the posts were edited to correct this. She was just pointing this out, don't think it had anything to do with the topic.

12 minutes ago, bris red said:

But you will scurry along home and start a thread on an online forum about said issue?

No offence OP but this is a prime example of todays pretty gutless society, its much easier to just sit at home behind a screen and vent than it is to face the issue there and then. I mean whats the point even mentioning it on here if you did nothing at the time? A pretty pointless exercise really and the racist will im sure carry on untill somebody has the balls to confront him/report him.

WTF?  That's your reaction!

12 minutes ago, Oops said:

The OP needs to provide some context for a start, and the comment "I'm a woman, by the way" is crass in the extreme.

Like it matters:facepalm:

Because the other poster said “he obviously didn’t report it”? That was why she said it, not to make gender an issue.

24 minutes ago, bris red said:

What total nonsense,you don’t have to sit behind a keyboard nowadays you can join antifa and wear masks 

10 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Because the other poster said “he obviously didn’t report it”? That was why she said it, not to make gender an issue.

Clearly. As I posted earlier after re-reading the original post.

I was just thinking today how lucky we are living in a city and supporting a club where racism barely exists.

I haven’t heard any at the gate for years, I’d certainly say something to the person if I did but can understand somebody not wanting confrontation. However I think mentioning to a steward should be the least we do. 

I do find it interesting and depressing how, every time one of these threads start, you get a small number of posters who are more concerned with criticising the OP for having the temerity to mention it than criticising the idiot fan they overheard who is damaging our reputation.

We all know only a small minority of supporters are racist, and an even smaller minority still are both racist and idiotic enough to feel the need to shout racist abuse at games but that is the exact reason it annoys me so much. I do not like these bigoted arses feeling they have the right to shout ridiculous things that 

a) no player should be subjected to

b) no supporters should have to hear

c) could potentially tarnish the image of the club.

I've reported racism before but, as I've said on a similar thread, the one time I heard racist abuse at Ashton Gate this season, it came from somewhere a few rows behind me and I have absolutely no idea who shouted it. It's all very well saying you should report things to the steward - and of course you should - but if all you have to report is you know somebody somewhere behind you shouted something and you don't know who it was then, unless they do it again, it is virtually impossible for the stewards to act. 

It wouldn't actually shock me if the three or so threads we have had on this recently all relate to the exact same individual, whoever he is.

The problem is, if you can't identify them and you can't stop them, all you can do is raise it with other supporters to give people a chance to make clear to the person who does it that it is not something we as supporters agree with or accept. Of course this forum is imperfect for that but, beyond posting it on Twitter (which would lead to bad publicity for the club potentially in any case, where on Earth would you expect the OP to put this kind of thread? 

Well done to the OP for raising it and I hope the person who does it learns that racist language is not at all welcome at Ashton Gate. 

3 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

Just to be clear. My point was that in 20 years' time we probably won't have idiots like that. I don't have to report this to be upset and angry

The way society is going, football and other competitive sports and activities won’t be around either.  We’ll all be expected to hold hands, dance ring a ring a roses and say nice things to each other in a non binary way.

3 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Hear a lot more homophobic stuff at the gate than racism if I’m honest but the racism card always gets a thread,the poofs faggots and queers never get a thread.Im neither black or gay to make it clear just fed up of topics like this 

I have tried to understand this response, but I have struggled.

If you are fed up with threads about racism, try imagining how it feels to be on the end of the racism. You're not arguing that offensive comments weren't made, or that they weren't offensive. You are just saying you are bored of people complaining about it.

Luckily, you have identified a solution to your own problem.

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

What total nonsense,you don’t have to sit behind a keyboard nowadays you can join the (any number of right wing groups)

6 minutes ago, Malago said:

The way society is going, football and other competitive sports and activities won’t be around either.  We’ll all be expected to hold hands, dance ring a ring a roses and say nice things to each other in a non binary way.

I think ring a ring a roses is banned now.:sad26:

35 minutes ago, Paddy31 said:

I have tried to understand this response, but I have struggled.

If you are fed up with threads about racism, try imagining how it feels to be on the end of the racism. You're not arguing that offensive comments weren't made, or that they weren't offensive. You are just saying you are bored of people complaining about it.

Luckily, you have identified a solution to your own problem.

I’m fed up of people moaning about it and you ask them well what did you do about it and the answer is always nothing,how about people grow a pair of bollocks or breasts in this case and say something at the time rather than bitchfest about it on a forum 

Archived