IGNORED

Racism at football

The dastardly red

4 hours ago, Nibor said:

What actually happened was that Firminho called him a crazy son of a bitch in spanish and Holgate is too stupid to recognise what language he's being spoken to in.

Really?

I wouldnt have a clue what Crazy son of a bitch sounds like in Spanish

Nor would 90% of posters on here

Take it that makes us all stupid

54 minutes ago, Malago said:

The way society is going, football and other competitive sports and activities won’t be around either.  We’ll all be expected to hold hands, dance ring a ring a roses and say nice things to each other in a non binary way.

don't joke about things like that, the pc brigade will put you on the naughty step.

21 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Really?

What adds to the complication is that Firminho is Brazilian, so he probably said crazy son of bitch in Portuguese.

By the way crazy son of bitch in Spanish Spanish is “eres loco hijo de puta”.  However, in Argentina or Uruguay it would have been “sos loco hijo de puta”.  Don’t know what it is in Portuguese, sorry.

45 minutes ago, Malago said:

What adds to the complication is that Firminho is Brazilian, so he probably said crazy son of bitch in Portuguese.

By the way crazy son of bitch in Spanish Spanish is “eres loco hijo de puta”.  However, in Argentina or Uruguay it would have been “sos loco hijo de puta”.  Don’t know what it is in Portuguese, sorry.

It’s” filho da puta louco “by the way because I’m fluent in Portuguese  :liar:

2 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Really?

I don't think that is the point @Nibor was trying to make.

If, and I repeat, if I understand the circumstances of the incident correctly, Holgate pushed Firminho, who was so aggrieved that he called him, in Portuguese, 'a crazy son of a bitch'.

Holgate, who may or may not be stupid, told the referee that F had called him a n*gg*r.

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

If, and I repeat, if I understand the circumstances of the incident correctly, Holgate pushed Firminho, who was so aggrieved that he called him, in Portuguese, 'a crazy son of a bitch'.

Holgate, who may or may not be stupid, told the referee that F had called him a n*gg*r.

It is worth clarifying this has been widely reported and, whilst true, may not be the whole picture.

Undoubtledly the tv Cameras caught Firmino saying something that lots of people think, on lipreadng, they think looks like “crazy son of a bitch” in Portuguese.

Undoubtedly a couple of moments later Holgate reacts extremely angrily and then tells the referee he has been racially abused.

What keeps getting missed from this is that, during those couple of moments you cannot see Firmino’s mouth. When Maybe that was all that was said and it took Holgate a couple of moment to react. Or maybe Firmino said something else when the camera view was blocked and that is what Holgate was reacting to. We don’t know. 

I don’t want to slander Firmino and have no idea that happened but the widely reported story is that the cameras confirm that Firmino said “crazy son or a bitch” and Holgate either misheard or misreported it. However the camera angle leaves it open that more may have been said that was not picked up.

Certainly in the footage Holgate is furious and reporting what was said to his teammates as well as the referee. It does not look like the reaction of someone who is trying to deceive a referee and it looks pretty clear to me watching it that - whatever happened in reality - Holgate believes he has been racially abused.

11 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I do find it interesting and depressing how, every time one of these threads start, you get a small number of posters who are more concerned with criticising the OP for having the temerity to mention it than criticising the idiot fan they overheard who is damaging our reputation.

We all know only a small minority of supporters are racist, and an even smaller minority still are both racist and idiotic enough to feel the need to shout racist abuse at games but that is the exact reason it annoys me so much. I do not like these bigoted arses feeling they have the right to shout ridiculous things that 

a) no player should be subjected to

b) no supporters should have to hear

c) could potentially tarnish the image of the club.

I've reported racism before but, as I've said on a similar thread, the one time I heard racist abuse at Ashton Gate this season, it came from somewhere a few rows behind me and I have absolutely no idea who shouted it. It's all very well saying you should report things to the steward - and of course you should - but if all you have to report is you know somebody somewhere behind you shouted something and you don't know who it was then, unless they do it again, it is virtually impossible for the stewards to act. 

It wouldn't actually shock me if the three or so threads we have had on this recently all relate to the exact same individual, whoever he is.

The problem is, if you can't identify them and you can't stop them, all you can do is raise it with other supporters to give people a chance to make clear to the person who does it that it is not something we as supporters agree with or accept. Of course this forum is imperfect for that but, beyond posting it on Twitter (which would lead to bad publicity for the club potentially in any case, where on Earth would you expect the OP to put this kind of thread? 

Well done to the OP for raising it and I hope the person who does it learns that racist language is not at all welcome at Ashton Gate. 

Thanks for this, so well put

my head is still spinning from the effects of the somerset chardonnay, but i still can't see the OP explaining what actually happened. this is pure scare mongery and attention seeking of the highest level. 

a crowd of 20,000 is very likely to attract a few people who are racist, but to insinuate there's a problem with racism at AG (without actually specifying any particular incident) is bonkers. 

20 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

my head is still spinning from the effects of the somerset chardonnay, but i still can't see the OP explaining what actually happened. this is pure scare mongery and attention seeking of the highest level. 

a crowd of 20,000 is very likely to attract a few people who are racist, but to insinuate there's a problem with racism at AG (without actually specifying any particular incident) is bonkers. 

"A few idiots around the ground" who will be dying off in a few years..i never said there was a massive problem with racism at AG, there isn't.

I have brown skin and have been attending games since the mid 90s. I remember being sat near the top of the dolman as a young lad, when someone behind me somewhere yelled out the N word at one of the opposition players. That was a miserable experience at the time, and kind of put me on edge when I attended subsequent games!

I never understand the mentality of these people, especially as we've had a number of black players for decades, including some fan favourites!!

I think there's nothing from with the OP raising a bit of awareness. It can be very awkward and uncomfortable for people to take direct action, as it can stir up anxiety. 

Things are much better these days, you see plenty of black faces in the crowd, which you didn't back in the 90s and 00s. 

If I hear any of this nonsense, I will confront the person or report it to the steward. I'm an adult now and I wouldn't want a little black boy or girl (or any child of any race) to witness racism, especially at somewhere as special as AG!

19 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

"A few idiots around the ground" who will be dying off in a few years..i never said there was a massive problem with racism at AG, there isn't.

are you totally effing mad or just incapable of answering questions. People are asking you, WHAT HAPPENED.

My opinion not that it matters a jot. If you disagree with racism then report it, don't complain about it to your peers.

What does complaining about it to your peers achieve? If you truly feel so upset and angry report it. If the club or police do nothing, well at least you can feel you have tried to do something.

Get your camera out on your phone (if you have one) film it, hand it over to the authorities, job done evidence collected and you don't even have to confront the people doing it.

1 minute ago, TRL said:

My opinion not that it matters a jot. If you disagree with racism then report it, don't complain about it to your peers.

What does complaining about it to your peers achieve? If you truly feel so upset and angry report it. If the club or police do nothing, well at least you can feel you have tried to do something.

Get your camera out on your phone (if you have one) film it, hand it over to the authorities, job done evidence collected and you don't even have to confront the people doing it.

I get the idea nothing actually happened and she just wanted to enjoy the vicarious thrill of starting a hot thread. She's been pressed numerous times on specifics and keeps evading the question. I wouldn't be surprised if we are still asking for an explanation this time tomorrow. There were 20 odd thousand at yesterday's match, yet she's the only one who witnessed this dreadful, mysterious incident. Something doesn't add up. 

10 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I get the idea nothing actually happened and she just wanted to enjoy the vicarious thrill of starting a hot thread. She's been pressed numerous times on specifics and keeps evading the question. I wouldn't be surprised if we are still asking for an explanation this time tomorrow. There were 20 odd thousand at yesterday's match, yet she's the only one who witnessed this dreadful, mysterious incident. Something doesn't add up. 

"There were 20 odd thousand at the match" - they are not all on this forum (unless you're using the same formula that we use when calculating our away following), so others may have witnessed it.

10 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

There was something else said after. Watch the video, holgate wasn’t incensed straight away it was a few seconds later while firminhos mouth was obscured

3 minutes ago, In the Net said:

"There were 20 odd thousand at the match" - they are not all on this forum (unless you're using the same formula that we use when calculating our away following), so others may have witnessed it.

they might have - I don't disagree. But so far the silence has been deafening, wouldn't you agree? We are nearly on page 3 of this thread, and yet no closer to defining what actually offended the OP. 

17 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

they might have - I don't disagree. But so far the silence has been deafening, wouldn't you agree? We are nearly on page 3 of this thread, and yet no closer to defining what actually offended the OP. 

Her best course of action at this late stage would still be to report to the club. She could PM either @Mkelly or @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO with her observations. The club don't have a chance to do anything about something they don't know about.

Archived