IGNORED

Matt Smith was awful

Marina's Rolls Royce

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

There I've said it again.

I  was crapping myself when he came on- imagine my devastation if he'd scored an equaliser or , worse still, the winner. But he didn't  and fell over himself with the goal at his mercy ....because he's awful .

Now can we please move on?

So you don’t want any comments then? Thought he played ok. Caused us a few problems. 

7 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

There I've said it again.

I  was crapping myself when he came on- imagine my devastation if he'd scored an equaliser or , worse still, the winner. But he didn't  and fell over himself with the goal at his mercy ....because he's awful .

Now can we please move on?

do you know what we might just have.

Holloway played right into our hands with that, our defence wasn't badly affected for an aerial attack with Bailey moving to CB (and Mags coming on) so that game suited us, what would have been better for them was getting more quick players on the pitch and stretch it out like that play not long before our second goal. 

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yet Freeman gets booed (way before his dive)??? Just couldn’t understand it....Luke sort of helped us go up as champions too...

Probably because he made it clear he wanted to leave and then effectively refused to play - similar to Kodja. 

And is really poor with step overs going nowhere, 4/5 corners going to the opposition, the slowest player on the pitch (even Marlon is faster) whereas Matt S will always win headers.

Both were helpful in their time ( Fluke was good for half of his appearances for us) but hard to see how either would get into our 2nd 11 right now

Most hoops I spoke to say they like MS as a bloke, Fluke was good early on compared to rubbish around him and Holloway must go. Can't disagree with that either.

6 hours ago, hodge said:

Holloway played right into our hands with that, our defence wasn't badly affected for an aerial attack with Bailey moving to CB (and Mags coming on) so that game suited us, what would have been better for them was getting more quick players on the pitch and stretch it out like that play not long before our second goal. 

Absolutely. A proper old school response to the situation by someone who has no other options in his mind. 

They never stretched us or tried to get behind us, just tried a battering ram against the best brick wall in the league.

As for Matt Smith, he looked as he did when he first came here, unfit and about a stone too heavy. Like JET I think he needs to play every game to maintain fitness.

1 hour ago, Redland said:

Probably because he made it clear he wanted to leave and then effectively refused to play - similar to Kodja. 

And cleared off without a word (unless I missed it?) about us fans or that double winning season or this club that helped move his career on and up.

And I clearly remember Ipswich at home last season - Freeman still yet to score a goal at AG - and the singing section in the Atyeo singing his name (on fire etc) over and over before he volleyed that worldie, and not a word about this fine support for a struggling player.

This sort of thing is a two-way street and Freeman made no effort from his side of the bargain. So, he is not missed by me, not for his aloofness, and not for his football now, either. He might be useful should we find ourselves near the bottom of the Championship again, or in L1.

3 hours ago, Redland said:

Players will never stay for ever anymore, those days are gone. He won the League One Champions Trophy whilst with us, no squad had done something like that since 1955, so to me they should all be applauded whenever they come back...

2 hours ago, shelts said:

I thought he caused Flint a few problems , granted we was down to ten . Did well when onloan . 

It was interesting that LJ said Bailey went on Smith because Flinty was getting a bit bullied by him.

Was it perhaps because Aden didn`t feel right whacking a mate whilst Bailey had no such concerns not having played with him?

At the time I thought Matt Smith's air shot was a howler and the diabolical ref had made another bizarre decision giving them a free kick. Having watched the channel 5 coverage last night, no matter what the commentator said, I still think it was a howler and no way a free kick. What do others think?

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Players will never stay for ever anymore, those days are gone. He won the League One Champions Trophy whilst with us, no squad had done something like that since 1955, so to me they should all be applauded whenever they come back...

The same goes for the manager.

1 hour ago, Redsi2 said:

At the time I thought Matt Smith's air shot was a howler and the diabolical ref had made another bizarre decision giving them a free kick. Having watched the channel 5 coverage last night, no matter what the commentator said, I still think it was a howler and no way a free kick. What do others think?

Yep, another Keith Stroud f- up.

I like Matt Smith. He is always used as someone to lump the ball up to. He is a better footballer than that. You can play the long ball or ball to his feet. He can pick a pass too. Watch highlights of him and Ross McCormack after his loan ended here. Much more to his game that sadly most managers look past. Honestly I don’t think much between him and Djuric. You have to get crosses in with those types of strikers. QPR didn’t enough imo and so we only had a few scares from him. 

13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I like Matt Smith. He is always used as someone to lump the ball up to. He is a better footballer than that. You can play the long ball or ball to his feet. He can pick a pass too. Watch highlights of him and Ross McCormack after his loan ended here. Much more to his game that sadly most managers look past. Honestly I don’t think much between him and Djuric. You have to get crosses in with those types of strikers. QPR didn’t enough imo and so we only had a few scares from him. 

He's decent in the right setup but a fit and firing Djuric is far better.

Archived