IGNORED

Atmosphere

Selred

I know it’s very late at night and I’ve had a few shandy’s to drink however can I just say how impressed I was with the atmosphere today. 

I sat in the Dolman and expected a poor showing after Tuesday night, but today reminded me of a night game. Lots of songs, banter and when Bryan got the second the chants of “one of our own” really echoed.

Not only impressed with our players today but 21k against QPR and that kind of atmosphere is so impressive, especially comparing to 4-5 years ago. 

Well done all, up the City! 

The atmosphere was alright today.

I like standing, singing, shouting and swearing so choose to be with like minded individuals in a certain part of the ground.

Whether sing all the time or never is of no concern to me.

What never fails to amaze me is when people post that from where they were sitting, how bad the atmosphere was or that they couldn't hear anything. 

But today was alright, I had fun and so did the boys.

28 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

The poor ref really helped with the atmosphere. At first it was average, due to a bit of a cup hangover and the horrible weather.

But that Ref created a siege mentality around the stadium and when that happens Ashton Gate really does come alive.

Agree with this. One thing to thank Keith Stroud for!

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

The poor ref really helped with the atmosphere. At first it was average, due to a bit of a cup hangover and the horrible weather.

But that Ref created a siege mentality around the stadium and when that happens Ashton Gate really does come alive.

Certainly agree with this.

Ideally we need to replicate this moving forward...even if isn't driven by the referee to an extent. When we have tough spells in games- and we will- that's when the players need atmosphere to be stepped up the most.

As I said on another thread, great that we have a singing section and fair play to them for putting the effort in, but a shame that very few of the songs are motivational to the team. The songs about the Gas, for example, mean nothing to our players. The crowd is only a 12th man if they are inspiring our team.

3 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

As I said on another thread, great that we have a singing section and fair play to them for putting the effort in, but a shame that very few of the songs are motivational to the team. The songs about the Gas, for example, mean nothing to our players. The crowd is only a 12th man if they are inspiring our team.

I thought it sounded just about average in there yesterday, so must’ve been one of those days where sound carried better around the stadium. I did arrive 5 mins late yesterday and could hear ‘we all hate gas scum’ as I was walking down coronation road. 

In regard to song choice, yesterday was always gonna have an added ‘anti-gas’ theme, what with Hollowhead being there. 

However I do think it’s a tad harsh to say we didn’t sing motivational songs or those that others could easily join in with. 

We sang ‘Red Army’ about 4 times yesterday, only once could I see it spreading all round the ground. We sang ‘Red Flag’ a few times, ‘Ole Ole Ole’ countless times, ‘By far the greatest team’, ‘we love you City’, ‘Ee I ee I o’. All songs which everyone should easily be able to join in with. It’s only ‘Come on you reds’ which reverberates around all stands. 

We also sang players songs such ‘Here’s to you Hörður Magnússon’, ‘we fell in love with marlon pack’, ‘joe Bryan one of our own’, ‘he’s here he’s there Korey smith’, ‘bobby, bobby reid’, ‘na na na na, diedhou’, ‘Flint said no’. Plenty of songs to get ‘behind’ the players. 

Yes there were plenty of anti-gas/hollowhead songs, but there was plenty more that were pro city / players. 

• Admin

The atmosphere all season has been so much better since they moved the unreserved section to within the horseshoe. I sit in the opposite corner and the songs really travel well and get a lot of us on our side joining in too. Keep it up S82 and others :) 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I thought it sounded just about average in there yesterday, so must’ve been one of those days where sound carried better around the stadium. I did arrive 5 mins late yesterday and could hear ‘we all hate gas scum’ as I was walking down coronation road. 

In regard to song choice, yesterday was always gonna have an added ‘anti-gas’ theme, what with Hollowhead being there. 

However I do think it’s a tad harsh to say we didn’t sing motivational songs or those that others could easily join in with. 

We sang ‘Red Army’ about 4 times yesterday, only once could I see it spreading all round the ground. We sang ‘Red Flag’ a few times, ‘Ole Ole Ole’ countless times, ‘By far the greatest team’, ‘we love you City’, ‘Ee I ee I o’. All songs which everyone should easily be able to join in with. It’s only ‘Come on you reds’ which reverberates around all stands. 

We also sang players songs such ‘Here’s to you Hörður Magnússon’, ‘we fell in love with marlon pack’, ‘joe Bryan one of our own’, ‘he’s here he’s there Korey smith’, ‘bobby, bobby reid’, ‘na na na na, diedhou’, ‘Flint said no’. Plenty of songs to get ‘behind’ the players. 

Yes there were plenty of anti-gas/hollowhead songs, but there was plenty more that were pro city / players. 

It wasn't a dig - ultimately, you lot are making the effort to sing when most people aren't.

Personally, I don't think songs like Ee-i-ee-i-o and Red Flag Flying High bring much to the table motivation-wise. Neither is especially rousing - not like a resounding chorus of Come On You Reds.

But hey, that's just my opinion. You'd need to ask a City player.

5 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I don't think players really care what or who we sing about, they just want noise. The content of the lyrics really is neither here nor there. As long as we aren't slamming our own team, then it all counts as backing. 

As for the original point, thought the atmosphere was ok - I'm a little spoiled, the football i watch in Poland tends to be wall-to-wall noise and chaos for full-on 90 minutes, so modern English football is never going to compare that favourably; but all things considered yesterday was pretty decent. A very enjoyable visit to AG and I look forward to slipping in another cpl of games this season. 

1 minute ago, Beckster said:

I think players do notice the songs that are sung. I have seen Flint singing along with songs whilst he's on the pitch several times.

Of all the players in our side, AF really does surprise me the most if thats true, he's always been one to concentrate more on his own game than anything else. 

I thought it was much better than Norwich and Reading on Boxing Day. Think going down to 10 men did help the atmosphere, the underdog if you like. City fans always come out fighting when the odds are against us so fair play. 

It was a huge win and the fans responded yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Section 82 will be even louder next season as think more will be heading in that direction. Makes a real difference to the ground.

Only if they make it bigger, sold out this season and as it stands would imagine it will next season also

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I am highly sure Section 82 won't expand unfortunately next season. The demand seems to be there but will it pass muster with the SAG?

It doesn't need to officially expand necessarily.

As long as people who were looking at moving there go to the blocks either side of S82 it will still be growing and the atmosphere  will spread.

Of course they may not be able to just stand all match. But that is separate.

Great atmosphere yesterday best at a league game for sometime, think the Holloway factor helps, going down to 10 men obviously helped and I feel that now the cup run is over people are thinking let's get back to the real aim of promotion and get back on track in the league which we most certainly did

28 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It doesn't need to officially expand necessarily.

As long as people who were looking at moving there go to the blocks either side of S82 it will still be growing and the atmosphere  will spread.

Of course they may not be able to just stand all match. But that is separate.

Agreed. If the atmosphere spreads, that's the main thing for now...

Actually of course,  it would make a lot of sense to expand officially. Just look at top row of Dolman, right along... And the South Stand too.

3 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

BobBobSuperBob is heading towards Section 82 next season so I am sure it will be LOUDER and they will need a lot more OB there to keep it in order - trust me!! (:laugh:)

S82 won't expand, at least not officially- I'm sure.

If there's seats in there spare then he can and should;d get an ST in there- and I'm sure he would.

Archived