IGNORED

Songs...

Rich VFR

Fairly new ST holder here.

Really enjoying the atmosphere and will certainly be renewing next year. 

I'm keen to join in with the vocals but there's a couple of chants I can't quite make out from where I'm sat. 

There's one to the tune of 'Piranhas' by Tom Hark? 

Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Yes.

Could be any number of songs tbh.

"You're singing now, I don't know why, cos after the game, you're gonna die" is the one that springs to mind.

Possibly it's 'we all hate gas scum'  close to the tune but not exact

Possibly might get more people joining in if we sang more about City and less about Rovers.  We are all at the Gate because we love City not because we dislike Rovers, so lets encourage that feeling with the choice of song/chant. Some of us older ones don't actually hate Rovers, they are insignificant, but we certainly don't want to hear about them while watching City. I join in all the encouraging songs but when its about the Gas I just sigh, and I am not alone among them around me.

Moved to Bristol in Sept and immediately started going to City games. Picked up a half season after enjoying a few outings. I've been gradually picking up the songs etc but there is one which eludes me...

"eeyiee eeyiee eeyiee oh, up the football here we go. [Insert blank]. [Insert blank]. We are city, we are city, Johnson [insert blank]". 

Can anyone fill the blanks? Looking forwards to signing it at Cardiff away.

4 minutes ago, LostScotsman said:

Moved to Bristol in Sept and immediately started going to City games. Picked up a half season after enjoying a few outings. I've been gradually picking up the songs etc but there is one which eludes me...

"eeyiee eeyiee eeyiee oh, up the football here we go. [Insert blank]. [Insert blank]. We are city, we are city, Johnson [insert blank]". 

‘When we win promotion, this is what we sing’

‘Johnson is our king’

I like to sing most songs , some from the days doobie doobie do , even the ten men went to twerton , which returned yesterday 

I sing about rovers as they are our local rivals , how crap they are etc. I don’t get the let’s not sing about them ?  What next don’t sing come on you reds cos other teams sing it.  The more picky with songs we are that then means we repeat songs more often , I’m sure some people that comment don’t sing themselves ! 

12 minutes ago, LostScotsman said:

It’s “up the football league we go” 

not “here we go” 

eeeyiii eeeyiii eeeyyyiiiiooo

up the football league we go, 

when we win promotion, this is what we sing, 

we are the City, we are the City, Johnson is our king. 

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Yes.

Could be any number of songs tbh.

"You're singing now, I don't know why, cos after the game, you're gonna die" is the one that springs to mind.

I only remember singing that in the O’Driscoll and Mcinnes era. Possibly because the away side won every week!

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

I only remember singing that in the O’Driscoll and Mcinnes era. Possibly because the away side won every week!

Haha, used to be a regular fixture at AG.

Love the proper aggro songs, makes the Gate a much more intimidating place, whether or not you are gonna act on it and murder some away fans...

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

Showing your age there fella! Bit before my time I think!

A seventies standard in the EE mate along with `if I had the wings of a sparrow` ` you`re gonna get your ******* heads kicked in` and the one that I wish we still did as it used to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up;

Barrristol!

2 hours ago, kivsy said:

I like to sing most songs , some from the days doobie doobie do , even the ten men went to twerton , which returned yesterday 

I sing about rovers as they are our local rivals , how crap they are etc. I don’t get the let’s not sing about them ?  What next don’t sing come on you reds cos other teams sing it.  The more picky with songs we are that then means we repeat songs more often , I’m sure some people that comment don’t sing themselves ! 

at the risk of being a pedant, it was nine men that torched trumpton! 

totally agree with your other points regarding singing about the gas - and it's great to hear some of the old classics rolled out now and again! 

11 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

A seventies standard in the EE mate along with `if I had the wings of a sparrow` ` you`re gonna get your ******* heads kicked in` and the one that I wish we still did as it used to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up;

Barrristol!

Maybe I'm a joyless bastard but I love hearing stories about the old East End. Some cracking chants from back in the day as well mind.

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Maybe I'm a joyless bastard but I love hearing stories about the old East End. Some cracking chants from back in the day as well mind.

And they were all spontaneous ZE.

Long before the Internet and social media of course. No 'invented songs' via otib back then.........Oh wait..............:facepalm:

3 hours ago, marmite said:

Possibly might get more people joining in if we sang more about City and less about Rovers.  We are all at the Gate because we love City not because we dislike Rovers, so lets encourage that feeling with the choice of song/chant. Some of us older ones don't actually hate Rovers, they are insignificant, but we certainly don't want to hear about them while watching City. I join in all the encouraging songs but when its about the Gas I just sigh, and I am not alone among them around me.

As one of the older ones I totally agree. I’m happy to join in the encouraging ones from my seat in the South Stand but not the negative ones. Yesterday the singing section seemed fixated on the SAGS. Why? They’re not in our division and are an irrelevance. And if we are going to have a go at Holloway (which is fair game) can’t we come up with something better than the tired ‘cheer up peter reid’ chant. It is not original and is so old hat now it’s become embarrassing. 

4 hours ago, marmite said:

With you all the way  And for me its if anything  more embarrassing when at away grounds !:facepalm:

5 hours ago, marmite said:

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

As one of the older ones I totally agree. I’m happy to join in the encouraging ones from my seat in the South Stand but not the negative ones. Yesterday the singing section seemed fixated on the SAGS. Why? They’re not in our division and are an irrelevance. And if we are going to have a go at Holloway (which is fair game) can’t we come up with something better than the tired ‘cheer up peter reid’ chant. It is not original and is so old hat now it’s become embarrassing. 

I put this on another thread but think it’s worth putting on here too, in reply to the above 2 posts. 

In regard to song choice, yesterday was always gonna have an added ‘anti-gas’ theme, what with Hollowhead being there. 

However I do think it’s a tad harsh to say we didn’t sing motivational songs or those that others could easily join in with. 

We sang ‘Red Army’ about 4 times yesterday, only once could I see it spreading all round the ground. We sang ‘Red Flag’ a few times, ‘Ole Ole Ole’ countless times, ‘By far the greatest team’, ‘we love you City’, ‘Ee I ee I o’. All songs which everyone should easily be able to join in with. It’s only ‘Come on you reds’ which reverberates around all stands. 

We also sang players songs such ‘Here’s to you Hörður Magnússon’, ‘we fell in love with marlon pack’, ‘joe Bryan one of our own’, ‘he’s here he’s there Korey smith’, ‘bobby, bobby reid’, ‘na na na na, diedhou’, ‘Flint said no’. Plenty of songs to get ‘behind’ the players. 

Yes there were plenty of anti-gas/hollowhead songs, but there was plenty more that were pro city / players. 

I could count over 15 songs we sang that have nothing to do with Rovers. 

As for the ‘same old’ cheer up Holloway comment, I think we had a few more than just that one for him yesterday. ‘He’s only a poor little gashead’, ‘sacked in the morning’, ‘ole ole, ole ole, Holloway’s a ****’, ‘there’s a bald gas winker over there’. Plenty more than just ‘cheer up’. 

In total, I think we sang at least 27 different songs yesterday. Over 15 of them had zero to do with rovers. I don’t think there are many (if any) clubs out there that sing as much a variety as we do. 

Archived