IGNORED

Cards on the Table - Why I want to avoid the play offs.

Port Said Red

Back in October when we doing reasonably well, I thought it would be a nice ride while it lasted, I thought we would have a good season, but wasn't considering that we would continue to improve in the way we have and still be in a top 6 position into February. 

Thats why I let my wife book us a holiday to the Carolinas after the season finishes, not giving any thought to the playoffs. We arrive back in the UK on the morning after the final, win or lose, I know that the thought of missing out on that occasion will weigh heavily in my mind throughout the holiday. 

I am now hoping beyond hope that the clubs currently on a good run, Derby, Villa and Fulham have "gone too early" in racing parlance and that Cardiff will fall away, leaving our strengthening squad to push for the automatic spot. 

Please give me some crumbs of comfort that this will be the case.

Sympathise with you I was 36,000 feet in the air en route to Barbados when we played Hull.

The Mrs said I was unbearable on the flight.

Since then I have never and will never book anything during the playoff fortnight. 

My mum is 80 this year in May her party has been booked to avoid any possible playoff clash 

its football you don’t know what will happen in 6 months time

You knew when you became a City fan would need to keep your diary clear; only then should you pencil in anything less important if it arises. The Robins' Rollercoaster is about to go into the higher atmosphere and will cause your world to thrill in an uncontrollable fashion. There is no escaping this obvious fact of football life. Holidays and the Missus have to take second place. I'm sorry.  :disapointed2se:

Other than that, I can only offer you this:

Cramb.png.034aaf03518dde9f48748d93424f11f2.png

A Cramb of comfort...

You'll have to live with the fact you're an idiot :yes:

Many, many years ago I was forced to miss a local derby at the Gate because of a good mates wedding ( 3-3 draw if you wondered) . Also when I got married it was only luck that it was one week before the Freight Rover final Vs Mansfield. Mind you, shame it wasn't the same day as I would have gone to Wembley and saved some assache.
The lesson is , never book anything during the season, including playoffs however unlikely. As an aside, I'm getting married again this year an missed the World Cup final by a week, not completely deliberate :blush:

My crumb of comfort, for what it's worth is that wherever you are, the play offs will be televised.  Unless you're on a plane of course.

Bars with Sky are almost everywhere in Europe and I guess there must be ways of watching in North America.

I will be away for one of the playoff games, but I know which bar I shall be watching from.

Rather get second place of course.

My wife booked our son's first birthday party the day of our cup winning trip to Wembley in 2015.

Needless to say I was blowing up balloons and putting mini pizzas in the oven instead of heading down the M4. Got back home just in time to see our second goal.

Second son was thankfully born in July.

I've not written 2nd place off just yet as the other teams around us have to play each other so points will be dropped one way or another.

The way we took QPR apart with 10 men and took on Man City with no fear proves that this squad of players have such a special bond they probably reckon they could climb Mount Everest.

Can we make the playoffs, sure we can, can we win them, sure we can.

What scares me the most though is another Dean Wind-ass moment that will have every SAG on the planet sucking each other off with another hero for them to worship as they haven't got anything going on at their tinpot club to get excited about, and never will bless the little bellends :laugh:

Cue Taylor coming off the bench and scoring a 30 yard scorcher in the 94th minute. If Carlsberg did the playoffs ........... :fingerscrossed:

5 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Cue Taylor coming off the bench and scoring a 30 yard scorcher in the 94th minute. If Carlsberg did the playoffs ........... :fingerscrossed:

If Carlsberg did playoffs then we would go up as 2nd and not need them:P

Or we would be 5-0 up at half time in the final vs Cardiff.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Back in October when we doing reasonably well, I thought it would be a nice ride while it lasted, I thought we would have a good season, but wasn't considering that we would continue to improve in the way we have and still be in a top 6 position into February. 

Thats why I let my wife book us a holiday to the Carolinas after the season finishes, not giving any thought to the playoffs. We arrive back in the UK on the morning after the final, win or lose, I know that the thought of missing out on that occasion will weigh heavily in my mind throughout the holiday. 

I am now hoping beyond hope that the clubs currently on a good run, Derby, Villa and Fulham have "gone too early" in racing parlance and that Cardiff will fall away, leaving our strengthening squad to push for the automatic spot. 

Please give me some crumbs of comfort that this will be the case.

Totally sympathise, I’ve got a gig with my band on play off final day - so 2nd or 7th for me please!! How selfish am I ?!

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Totally sympathise, I’ve got a gig with my band on play off final day - so 2nd or 7th for me please!! How selfish am I ?!

Depends on what you do in the band. Bass or drums?  Easy  they get a stand in and you go to Wembley. if you are a real musician (ie guitarist) or you sing in your band  a bit more tricky

3 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

My wife is due to give birth on the day of the play off final. It'll be quite an awkward conversation when she rings me up to find out why I've been gone for 2 hours buying a pint of milk...

It might also be an awkward conversation when you want to name the baby Aden Bobby Marlon, assuming a successful day at Wembley.

7 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Depends on what you do in the band. Bass or drums?  Easy  they get a stand in and you go to Wembley. if you are a real musician (ie guitarist) or you sing in your band  a bit more tricky

This could be awkward if he is 3D or Daddy G.... :whistle:

Missed the Hull playoff final as had to be in Belgium that day (long story) but having endured both Walsall & Brighton, plus the elation of beating Warnock & Palace at AG in the semis, I was fairly philosophical. Win & we were in the Premier League, so that was great, while if we lost, I wouldn't want witness my third playoff final defeat.

That said, I have made sure that I am free to attend this year's final, but better still would be not to need the playoffs to go up!

On final day I'll be in Holland with my wife watching my 10 year old son on football tour.  I've already looked at flights back for the day and have floated the possibility with my wife from a safe distance.  I'm considering buying the flights back and back out again now and hoping I don't need them as we've come 2nd.  She finds it weird that I'm thinking of flying back to England for a day during a 4 day trip, but she's known me long enough to know that it means a lot to me.  That's why she was able to tell school our son had a dentist appointment when really he was coming with me to the Etihad.  

For your peace of mind, you know at the end of the day you simply have to do the right thing.

Obviously you won't want to see your plans go to waste, so that's why I'm prepared to take your booking off of your hands for you, I know its a sacrifice but theres no need to feel pity for me I am quite prepared to suffer on your behalf... Priorities and all that, I was lucky enough to see the lads into the top league under Dicks, the opening game at Highbury, beating the Arse was priceless... I can't be greedy so I'm happy to give up my chance to see us make it for a second time, by allowing you to clear your diary dates and see the Reds... I don't expect any monetary gratitude for this, I'm OK with just taking the holiday for you, erm, it is full board and flights I presume?  

I quite understand how you must be feeling right now, but hope I've made things easier for you, imagine the pleasure your wife will have knowing her husband is extremely jubilant on his day our at Wembley, she knows there is plenty of time for taking other holidays at later dates and for years to come. 

Once again please don't fret or worry about us, its a small sacrifice on my part that I'll be delighted to make for you... Now then where am I flying from, date time etc, and I wouldn't mind a little look at the accommodation if you have an internet link? ... Please don't worry about my holiday expenses while I'm away I'm happy to cover that, unless of course you'd feel better by giving us a few hundred quid spending money, that's up to you, but theres no to need really, my reward is knowing that you are home loving every minute of the play offs and final promotion party.. Money cant by you that, and like I said there will be other holidays for you to enjoy.

Well the offers there mate, happy to oblige, if I was in your shoes I'd hate to see my holiday go to waste too, far better to give ut away to someone like me safe in the knowledge that we're happy to suffer it for the greater cause... Look forward to receiving all the travel and booking docs in due course...

Cheer mate,... I know, ...I know, theres really no need to thank me, enjoy the football totally guilt free... (I'll get someone to record the games fir me while I'm away, that's quite alright) 

PS... Just so the Mrs doesn't feel left out, I'll be delighted to buy her a small bunch of flowers and a box of Milk Tray.

See ya soon, :thumbsup: 

Yep. Well, I am booked to be in Tokyo on the 25th Feb, which is the league cup final date. 

That was going to be one hell of a dilemma.

Tokyo, a city I've always wanted to visit with my girlfriend and friends... or what would have quite possibly been the biggest game in our history. 

I had enough money on us to win the semi to afford to fly from Bangkok (where I was planning to be before Tokyo) to London, then out to Tokyo two days later. It was only £25! So not bad insurance. 

There is, I’m ashamed to say, a tiny part of me glad I don’t have to make the decision!

Archived