IGNORED

Time to put your feet up Bobby

Between heaven and hell

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

The players have plenty of time for recovery and recharging batteries...even more so now the Cup runs are over.

Football players, especially of Bobby's age, are like thoroughbred horses...they need to run and be exercised.

Our success this season has been down to the likes of Bobby, pressing from the front line. No one else does it as well as him. We would miss his intensity. Unless he had an injury...then there would be no reason to rest him.

Look at 30 yo Lionel Messi...only played 3 games less than Bobby this season....and he's 6 years older. And he play's at a far higher level of intensity.

No reason to rest him...keep doing what we do best.

You don't half talk some sense Spud. Ever thought of politics?

No need to rest bob he loves playing and training.i know this as my pal who was a friend of his has told me for years that he was the best young prospect he had seen at the club for years.and has bags of energy .in my opinion im glad hes been given a chance at last 

Players in form want to play. Adrenaline kicks in and they can carry on.

Bob would be devastated if he was dropped without the stats saying it was called for.

Nevertheless we have a bloody good looking forward line again and Djuric to add shortly....The next three and half months are going to be something else!

32 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I do not understand the OP. If you want to win something you play your best team until the job is done. I believe that is tried and tested. Any other manoeuvre is a gamble too far.

Don't understand ?

17 games to go  plus even the possibility of an additional 3 play off fixtures. Don't run the poor lad into the ground when its not necessary as we are now in as position where we have other options. We need Bobby fresh until the end which could be  towards the end if May so he  should be managed accordingly.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

The players have plenty of time for recovery and recharging batteries...even more so now the Cup runs are over.

Football players, especially of Bobby's age, are like thoroughbred horses...they need to run and be exercised.

Our success this season has been down to the likes of Bobby, pressing from the front line. No one else does it as well as him. We would miss his intensity. Unless he had an injury...then there would be no reason to rest him.

Look at 30 yo Lionel Messi...only played 3 games less than Bobby this season....and he's 6 years older. And he play's at a far higher level of intensity.

No reason to rest him...keep doing what we do best.

Does he? Far higher level technically, but I’d actually argue that the championship is far far more Intense that La Liga. 

3 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Does he? Far higher level technically, but I’d actually argue that the championship is far far more Intense that La Liga. 

Probably physically...but the intense scrutiny, technical awareness, speed of thought, quality of technically better teams and Champions league games, would all take their toll.

Pure physicality yes...but everything else is at a far greater level.

No offence but there is some absolute rubbish being talked here.  Theorising that giving a player 20 minutes less game time in 5 days time is going to have some huge benefit in 4 month's time.  We have absolutely no knowledge of their relative physical states, just the occasional bit of information.  For example, we know that Paterson lost some weight when he was ill about 2 months ago.  That probably explains why he tires and is subbed more than before.  Unlike the high end players, the likes of Bobby will be sat watching the Champions League, the FA Cup and England Internationals so will be rested. 

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t agree he needs a rest....when Michael Owen was Bobby’s age he had played well over double the number of games Bobby has - and Owen was in the premier league and playing for England.

I’m sure if there are medical reasons for a rest then Bobby will be withdrawn, but he’s not what you’d call a raw youngster anymore who needs to be carefully managed and wrapped up in cotton wall, he’s 25 in a few days’ time...let him continue to run about I say, he’s paid enough to be a pro player, so let him play, he looks like he loves it, fair play to him!

Your correct about Owen

The same Owen who played week in week out as a teenager

and was pretty much washed up by mid/late 20s

10 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

If I was in BR's position, with his engine, I'd be chomping at the ******* bit to get on the pitch every Saturday.

Yes, 14 goals, every chance of getting 20.  Last thing I’d want to do is have a rest and then see Diony or Diedhiou hit it off so well, that LJ thinks they are a better option.

9 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

The player that actually needs a rest with his niggly injury is Baker. 

Think he’s about to get a 3 game rest!!

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m sure if there are medical reasons for a rest then Bobby will be withdrawn, but he’s not what you’d call a raw youngster anymore who needs to be carefully managed and wrapped up in cotton wall, he’s 25 in a few days’ time...let him continue to run about I say, he’s paid enough to be a pro player, so let him play, he looks like he loves it, fair play to him!

So on Friday, he loses the tag "young Bobby".

On an aside, that pre-season fitness / strength camp he went to is getting a great reference / endorsement.

5 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I never ever rated Bobby Reid. 

Now I could never ever drop him. He is the pinnacle of our press and I don’t think it’d be the same without him. 

I did. First time I saw him was JPT v Rovers and I saw a boy who could take the ball into him, back to his marker, on either foot, control and spin and open up the play.  The physical side often meant the game passed him by.  In that 13/14 season I thought he had better games alongside the physical Marvin, than the footballing Marlon.  A few seasons of make or break, before the positional change has been the making of him.  He is part of the fabric of Bristol City and our emergence.  I know he’s having a great season, and on reflection, I think it’s been a stunning transformation and we underrate his performances in the hardest position on the pitch.  Getting a bit carried away, but he’s probably my favourite player at the mo’.

I don't understand why people are making assumptions based on the fact that because he's young and has got a great 'engine' on the pitch, that he therefore carries some inherent immunity to fatigue. 

Youthful enthusiasm can disguise certain things, and I get the feeling that some players - like my 9 year old boy - simply don't know when they're tired... They will literally run until they drop. 

Maybe Bobby has indeed got enough in the tank yet. Maybe not. But why risk it? If I was LJ I would at least take BR's foot off the accelerator a wee bit, now that we have cover, just to give him a boost. 

Besides, he's got a busy summer in Russia yet... 

It's one area of our fantastic management team that I am no longer so confident about; I saw for myself against wolves how exhausted they were. They were playing on adrenalin alone. The unfortunate ending to that match not only knocked the proverbial stuffing out of them mentally, but also it brought their bodies back down to planet earth. 

So when little Lee piped up the next day saying he was glad they had an immediate chance to get it out of their system (villa), I questioned that wisdom, and correctly predicted the hammering which only served to batter our mental and physical state even further, along with our goal diff, that is... 

Lee then states it was a game too far. It worried me! If I could see it (along with probably a few thousand others) then why couldn't they? 

Villa should have been written off beforehand, with at least half the team rested. After all, that's what we did in the carabao early rounds, and to good  effect. 

This is why I have mild concern for Bobby. 

38 minutes ago, Manon said:

It's one area of our fantastic management team that I am no longer so confident about; I saw for myself against wolves how exhausted they were. They were playing on adrenalin alone. The unfortunate ending to that match not only knocked the proverbial stuffing out of them mentally, but also it brought their bodies back down to planet earth. 

So when little Lee piped up the next day saying he was glad they had an immediate chance to get it out of their system (villa), I questioned that wisdom, and correctly predicted the hammering which only served to batter our mental and physical state even further, along with our goal diff, that is... 

Lee then states it was a game too far. It worried me! If I could see it (along with probably a few thousand others) then why couldn't they? 

Villa should have been written off beforehand, with at least half the team rested. After all, that's what we did in the carabao early rounds, and to good  effect. 

I wouldn’t. Johnson’s shown, with Brownhill, that if/when we have cover he can trust, players will be rested. However, I next expect it’ll be Paterson who’s rested for 2-3 games. 

6 hours ago, Manon said:

I think he probably did see it coming. But we had all seen it coming since early December and we kept picking up points. Don’t realistically think there was a chance of playing the kids at Villa, particularly as we knew the next game was Watford in the FA cup. 

19 hours ago, Manon said:

Agreed, we could all see what might happen at villa, and it did. The only options were either woodrow or taylor at that point, so its no surprise that bobby was selected. How it got to the point that flint was moved up front against wolves cause we had no other options is rediculous.

Archived