IGNORED

6 Most Depressing Clubs to Support

Hampshire Red

41 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Most of the clubs being mentioned have had their ups, and are now experiencing considerable downs.

Consider Rochdale:

Going on 100 years with precious little to celebrate. Ups? There haven''t been any :sad26:

image.thumb.png.68122743224617913244e08cc0806bce.png

Two promotions in the last 10 years? Living the dream imo. :laughcont:

Luton Town. Once had players of the quality of the late Keith Waller and had the great Eric Morecambe on their board. Then played on a plastic pitch and banned away fans for zero atmosphere in a ground that is actually worse than the Mem. Spectacularly falling from grace to the conference. Now trying to claw their way back up the leagues. 

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

what a  dump went there about 10 years ago to watch city think we won 2-0, seeing them on the football league show doesn't look like they have spent a single penny on the ground since.

It’s easy to think that’s the case, but how do you know their generous owners haven’t splashed out on carpet cleaning, new curtains and a refurbished port-a-loo, like some other clubs that have also spent the last decade or 2 in the shadows of their bigger, better, same City rivals..?

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Luton Town. Once had players of the quality of the late Keith Waller and had the great Eric Morecambe on their board. Then played on a plastic pitch and banned away fans for zero atmosphere in a ground that is actually worse than the Mem. Spectacularly falling from grace to the conference. Now trying to claw their way back up the leagues. 

Indeed, since the formation of the Premier league, it’s quite astounding to think of some of the clubs that have been there. 

Just a few, that are remarkable, because of their current positions....

Oldham, Swindon, Notts County, Wigan, Blackpool, Portsmouth, Coventry, Bolton, Bradford, Barnsley, Charlton, Wimbledon. 

Of course, lots more in the Championship, but those listed above must endured a “roller coaster”..! 

For me it would be depressing to support any club that is forever in the shadow of their neighbours with little or no prospect of ever changing the situation. 

1. Port Vale

2. Notts County

3. Leyton Orient

4. Tranmere

5. Walsall

6 The Gas.

I do really respect the fans of the top 5 in my list especially Orient and Tranmere fans who could easily have chosen much more successful clubs to follow. The fact those two clubs have now dropped out of the football league must make it worse.

I don’t believe fans of any of the top 5 clubs in my list display the same level of arrogance and delusions of grandeur that Gasheads do which is amazing because in the whole list they are the biggest laughing stock. 

13 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

For me it would be depressing to support any club that is forever in the shadow of their neighbours with little or no prospect of ever changing the situation. 

1. Port Vale

2. Notts County

3. Leyton Orient

4. Tranmere

5. Walsall

6 The Gas.

I do really respect the fans of the top 5 in my list especially Orient and Tranmere fans who could easily have chosen much more successful clubs to follow. The fact those two clubs have now dropped out of the football league must make it worse.

I don’t believe fans of any of the top 5 clubs in my list display the same level of arrogance and delusions of grandeur that Gasheads do which is amazing because in the whole list they are the biggest laughing stock. 

I’d say Oldham & Bury have amongst the most incredible die hard fans. I mean seriously... why..?! Fair play to them! 

19 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

So I'm gonna add Wrexham and Hereford to those. Feel for the buggers I do.

Those 2 are incredibly depressing. 

One being Welsh and not able to change it. 

The other, so close to Wales that despite being blessed enough not to be welsh, they still sound like they are..! 

6 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

This is debate for English clubs over last 20 clubs. You need some justifications to nominate, like the Maytree YouTube along similar lines. Here's my starter six;

1. Coventry City: Decades in top flight, sold urban ground for Ricoh tip out of town, played games at Northampton

2. Orient:  a century of league status, recent hopes of playing at Olympic stadium now near base of Conference

3. Blackpool: Stan Matthews, years of good history, ruined by rogue owners and fans didn't turn up to play off final

4.BRFC: EPL winners, light years ahead of rivals at Turf Moor for more than a decade now run by chicken farmers.

5.Pompey: Play on an island, fastest fall from grace due to financial mismanagement, hundreds of miles to most away games but still get good away support.

6. Gas; horrible owners who have done less for their fans than any others of the 92. Overshadowed by illustrious rivals, shocking transfer activities, disgraced a big city by going non-league. Fans considered a joke in all lower divisions. Nothing to save 'em.

CoYRs 

This list seems to be based on right now rather than the last 20 years.  Pompey won the FA Cup in 2008 and Blackpool were promoted to the Premier League not that long ago.  What's happened since has been awful for both, but surely it's better to have experienced both massive highs and massive lows, rather than have achieved basically nothing at all?  I'd say the latter is far more depressing.  Even the Gas have had 3 promotions in their recent history, including two in a row.

What about someone like Torquay?  A League One club 15 years ago, languishing between Conference and L2 since, now near the bottom of the Conference.

I was going to mention coventry, rochdale, tranmere but these have been mentioned.

Hartlepool must surely be there 

Don't think they have been higher than the third division and can't remember them winning anything of note (if anything) ?

Feel free to correct me though.

Reading this thread surely makes us all realise ( if we didn't already) just how lucky we are to have SL as owner.

Many lower league clubs mentioned are probably struggling just to exist on a day to day basis, and can only dream of spending decent money to improve their squad, an academy or ground renovations, let alone a stadium rebuild. Success for them is staying afloat. Similarly with some of the old clubs, e.g.Blackburn, where foreign ownership has ripped the heart out of the club.

In the recent past it could be viewed as depressing to see how much money SL "wasted" on the club for no benefit, including relegation back into league 1. Fortunately, he saw the error of his ways and decided on a different way of running the club,  so that supporting the club now is anything but depressing. I reckon  that most fans of my age have never felt so optimistic about the club's future.

Reading has gotta be one surely. MK Dons too.

Don't really agree with the snobbery about some of the following though, as per @Up The City! Hard working, working class places Bolton, Oldham and Rochdale...at least historically. Likewise other places as mentioned by others on some other threads like Stoke and Boro, but I digress.

Reading, MK Dons and of course the Blue Few up the road...I know Reading have achieved solid things in recent years but the out of town ground, the relatively insipid fanbase...it just doesn't inspire me.

Hereford United?

Non league giant killers of Newcastle (Ronnie Radford's goal still best FA cup goal of all time) followed by rise to 2nd Division (now Championship) and then relegation to non league, financial ruin (the usual suspcts) and FA sanction of demotion to the 9th (Ninth!) tier.

Bury - there's another one to add to the list, especially considering past glories they shall probably never equal, such as winning the league mind you, and the FA Cup - twice.

Gigg Lane is pretty dour also, doesnt seem much improved since I was last there for a Div3 fixture back in the 80's.

Archived