IGNORED

6 Most Depressing Clubs to Support

Hampshire Red

Intended to be now but looking back over past 20 years or so. Some great other suggestions and agree with most other than Arsenal (win major trophies for fun) and West Bromwich who we clearly aspire to compete with.

Someone could start another thread," most loyal fan" that would surely include Luton, Bury Oldham as all could follow EPL clubs

If I had to choose a depressing top three then it would have to be;

Port Vale. I mean what's the point. You'd support Stoke.

Notts County. See above but insert the famous club that isn't famous anymore.

Bury. What have they ever done? There are too many teams in the greater Manchester area.

1. Red Manchester
  2. Arsenal
  3. Chelsea
  4. Liverpool
  5. Tottenham
  6. Everton

Less so with the last two, but I can’t think of anything much more depressing than having such high expectations that you’re almost guaranteed to be left unsatisfied at the end of every season.

There was an article a couple of years ago, which I’m sure many will have read (I’ll try and dig it out later), discussing what brings true “happiness” when supporting a football/sports team. The general conclusion was the idea that the lower the status of the team (and thus the expectations), the happier the supporters.

Dunno about you, but I’d take our current season, and the 14/15 season, over the seasons any of the teams above are having. Give me a fighting, 10 men win over QPR and a cup run in which we were buzzing to simply make the quarter-finals any day.

I’d even prefer the feeling of beating Brighton to stay up last season over the sheer panic that sets in at those clubs if you lose to anyone other than those clubs.

Those supporters set themselves up for a fall. We, and those who follow Port Vale, or Rochdale, or Stockport, etc., have a far stronger grounding in reality, and thus exceed our expectations far more regularly.

Sod ‘em.

Reading the clubs one common theme has popped up. The club being poorly run by its owners. 

For me my top 6 in no particular order would be:

Blackpool

Leyton Orient

Stockport

Leeds

MK Dons

Rochdale

But you could probably include any club that is run poorly by an owner who doesn't care about the club or doesn't have the money to match the ambition (like Bristol rovers). 

9 hours ago, Swede said:

If I had to choose a depressing top three then it would have to be;

Port Vale. I mean what's the point. You'd support Stoke.

Notts County. See above but insert the famous club that isn't famous anymore.

Bury. What have they ever done? There are too many teams in the greater Manchester area.

Look up Bury's history , they've done  more than us ! 

11 hours ago, RedYoshi said:
  1. Red Manchester
  2. Arsenal
  3. Chelsea
  4. Liverpool
  5. Tottenham
  6. Everton

Less so with the last two, but I can’t think of anything much more depressing than having such high expectations that you’re almost guaranteed to be left unsatisfied at the end of every season.

There was an article a couple of years ago, which I’m sure many will have read (I’ll try and dig it out later), discussing what brings true “happiness” when supporting a football/sports team. The general conclusion was the idea that the lower the status of the team (and thus the expectations), the happier the supporters.

Dunno about you, but I’d take our current season, and the 14/15 season, over the seasons any of the teams above are having. Give me a fighting, 10 men win over QPR and a cup run in which we were buzzing to simply make the quarter-finals any day.

I’d even prefer the feeling of beating Brighton to stay up last season over the sheer panic that sets in at those clubs if you lose to anyone other than those clubs.

Those supporters set themselves up for a fall. We, and those who follow Port Vale, or Rochdale, or Stockport, etc., have a far stronger grounding in reality, and thus exceed our expectations far more regularly.

Sod ‘em.

Had a look at a few of the Liverpool fan videos on youtube after the defeats at Swansea and West Brom, and almost every comment was "Klopp out, out of his depth, couldn't even beat West Brom", "Sack the board, we need to spend money" and "No trophies again....", and it's just painfully entitled.

I think you've got that spot on, perhaps the Man City fans who watched their club plummet through the leagues have the same kind of enjoyment in watching their team canter to every competition in the country, but Man United fans from Bournemouth will never feel the same happiness associated with a local team achieving even a tiny measure of success.

On 30/01/2018 at 05:50, Up The City! said:

I'd throw the likes of Bolton, Oldham and Rochdale into the mix aswell. The football clubs are just as depressing as the towns.

The first two have played premier league football and been in a major cup final. City by comparison?

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Had a look at a few of the Liverpool fan videos on youtube after the defeats at Swansea and West Brom, and almost every comment was "Klopp out, out of his depth, couldn't even beat West Brom", "Sack the board, we need to spend money" and "No trophies again....", and it's just painfully entitled.

I think you've got that spot on, perhaps the Man City fans who watched their club plummet through the leagues have the same kind of enjoyment in watching their team canter to every competition in the country, but Man United fans from Bournemouth will never feel the same happiness associated with a local team achieving even a tiny measure of success.

Yeah, I refrained from mentioning the Blue Manchesters for that reason - it’s probably still fresh enough for the majority of their fans to appreciate what’s happening, as evidenced by the gracious visitors here in the last few weeks. That said, they’ll probably end up joining the list if they keep this up for the next 20/30+ years. I mean, winning a quadruple every season has gotta get old, right?

Found the article if anyone’s interested: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/31963832

Trowbridge Town .... from what was the Conference playing top non league sides in front of 750 crowds in the 80s to Wiltshire County League without a win since September in front of 25 fans and dwindling by the day ... Coventry, Gas, Notts County .... blo*dy glory hunters compared to this!

15 minutes ago, Jarman said:

Trowbridge Town .... from what was the Conference playing top non league sides in front of 750 crowds in the 80s to Wiltshire County League without a win since September in front of 25 fans and dwindling by the day ... Coventry, Gas, Notts County .... blo*dy glory hunters compared to this!

Lost to Melksham Town Reserves 5-0 last I saw. Totally shameful and embarassing for the Town really and I blame the Council are much at fault for not once providing any backing like Chippenham have had.

Coventry - appalling mismanagement

Blackpool - Oyston, enough said.

Hereford - Stitched up by asset strippers

Scunthorpe - Grim northern dump

MK Dons - I despise everything that club stands for. 

The gash - by far the number 1, horrible club, horrible supporters, no redeeming factors whatsoever.

Archived