IGNORED

Championship record?

allyolly

29 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Burton are certainly not going to be missed when they go down.

Bit harsh. I loved Wimbledon’s 8 seasons in the premier league, often ruffling the big boys’ feathers....nothing wrong with a plucky smaller counterpart....Burton beat Fulham which could be useful come the end of the season...and we haven’t managed to beat them yet during this campaign....cracking away day too....real ales aplenty and the biggest pork pie I’ve ever seen on sale in a pub!

4 hours ago, robintherobin said:

Don't think that's the smallest Championship crowd. I seem to remember Wimbledon had a Championship attendance of 800 for a midweek home game with Rotherham in the season they moved to Milton Keynes.

Wow, come to think of it some teams in the Conference North get more than that at times.

8 hours ago, allyolly said:

Not city related but the attendance at Burton v Reading was 2750! Don’t ever remember seeing an attendance that low in the championship. I’m sure someone on here will verify! 

I think the old Wimbledon got 840 odd in an old League 1 (Championship level?) against Rotherham? Not sure if that was level 2 or 3?

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Bit harsh. I loved Wimbledon’s 8 seasons in the premier league, often ruffling the big boys’ feathers....nothing wrong with a plucky smaller counterpart....Burton beat Fulham which could be useful come the end of the season...and we haven’t managed to beat them yet during this campaign....cracking away day too....real ales aplenty and the biggest pork pie I’ve ever seen on sale in a pub!

I didn't. Bunch of thugs playing Warnock style "football"; from Bobby Gould as well.

Delighted when it all went tits up.

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

I didn't. Bunch of thugs playing Warnock style "football"; from Bobby Gould as well.

Delighted when it all went tits up.

I love how Warnock gets mentioned regarding another’s club’s style of play over thirty years ago when he had nothing to do with that club whatsoever! That’s some serious dislike you’re carrying around there...Neil Warnock has seven promotions on his CV, he’s good at his job...

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I love how Warnock gets mentioned regarding another’s club’s style of play over thirty years ago when he had nothing to do with that club whatsoever! That’s some serious dislike you’re carrying around there...Neil Warnock has seven promotions on his CV, he’s good at his job...

All he's done is compare the style of football to the equivalent of what a certain current manager has a reputation for.

Hardly an unjust comment.

• Admin
9 hours ago, robintherobin said:

Don't think that's the smallest Championship crowd. I seem to remember Wimbledon had a Championship attendance of 800 for a midweek home game with Rotherham in the season they moved to Milton Keynes.

3 hours ago, PolskRed said:

I think the old Wimbledon got 840 odd in an old League 1 (Championship level?) against Rotherham? Not sure if that was level 2 or 3?

@robintherobin @PolskRed Was 849 in the First division

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/championship/3037023/Wimbledon-crowd-hits-record-low.html

11 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

No, they don’t get bigger crowds than us. They get circa 3,000, we get around 20,000, thus ours is bigger 

I am guessing- but only guessing based on the post- that @BS4 on Tour... is referring to as a proportion of population...

As it turns out, 20k or so is pretty close to 5% of Bristol's population.

@robintherobin They were having a major fan boycott at the time so hardly surprising, but quite woeful nonetheless. (What WAS surprising was they finished 10th in the Championship that year before it collapsed entirely the following year.

As a neutral in general, I didn't mind Wimbledon tbh. No their football wasn't great to say the least, though it improved in the latter years but for a club that size to win the Cup...will never be achieved again IMO.

13 hours ago, allyolly said:

Not city related but the attendance at Burton v Reading was 2750! Don’t ever remember seeing an attendance that low in the championship. I’m sure someone on here will verify! 

Lowest for a Premier League match was 3,036 (Wimbledon v Everton) which isn't far off!  Does anyone know our lowest ever attendance? 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jan/26/premier-league-lowest-attendance-wimbledon-everton

Does anyone know our lowest ever attendance?

15 minutes ago, UnanIsDecent said:

Lowest for a Premier League match was 3,036 (Wimbledon v Everton) which isn't far off!  Does anyone know our lowest ever attendance? 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jan/26/premier-league-lowest-attendance-wimbledon-everton

Does anyone know our lowest ever attendance?

Don't know the number for an individual match, but in '83 we averaged 4799, so our lowest crowd is below that.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bric.htm

I admire what Burton have accomplished, and they are in the Championship on merit, however, to attempt to stay up their understandable tactics are to shorten the playing time by time wasting from minute one and rely on set pieces and the occasional quick break to score. This does not make for entertainment, Part of me admires their plucky endeavours, another part would prefer they were replaced by a bigger club who would bring more to the Championship .

They are a bit like the guy who turns up at your house party empty handed and then proceeds directly to the bar and drinks it dry.

At the end of the day though, if we do not allow clubs to move up on merit, only on size, we get an American style franchise league, and that, however boring Burton's tactics are, I definitely do not want (but probably coming to Europe soon)

37 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

I admire what Burton have accomplished, and they are in the Championship on merit, however, to attempt to stay up their understandable tactics are to shorten the playing time by time wasting from minute one and rely on set pieces and the occasional quick break to score. This does not make for entertainment, Part of me admires their plucky endeavours, another part would prefer they were replaced by a bigger club who would bring more to the Championship .

They are a bit like the guy who turns up at your house party empty handed and then proceeds directly to the bar and drinks it dry.

At the end of the day though, if we do not allow clubs to move up on merit, only on size, we get an American style franchise league, and that, however boring Burton's tactics are, I definitely do not want (but probably coming to Europe soon)

and we'd never be in the top flight

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As it turns out, 20k or so is pretty close to 5% of Bristol's population

Actually it turns out to be 3.24 %

According to this table https://thegeographist.wordpress.com/2016/04/07/largest-cities-uk-population/, Bristol's population is 617,280 (maybe that's the metro population), coming in at the 5th biggest in the UK.

Surprises me we're ahead of Manchester and Liverpool. Even more staggering when you consider we haven't been in the topflight for 38 years.

4 minutes ago, OneCity said:

According to this table https://thegeographist.wordpress.com/2016/04/07/largest-cities-uk-population/, Bristol's population is 617,280 (maybe that's the metro population), coming in at the 5th biggest in the UK.

Surprises me we're ahead of Manchester and Liverpool.

that includes the surrounding areas, if you are talking about the city alone I think we rank 10th

http://www.citymayors.com/gratis/uk_topcities.html 

yours also shows portishead as being in wessex 

8 minutes ago, OneCity said:

Surprises me we're ahead of Manchester and Liverpool. Even more staggering when you consider we haven't been in the topflight for 38 years.

Thanks. A quick Google gave a figure and I just posted it.

One thing for sure, it seems a rapidly growing city.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks. A quick Google gave a figure and I just posted it.

One thing for sure, it seems a rapidly growing city.

Actually yes it is. Adding to what Monkeh said above, it does seem Bristol is the 10th largest - the figure posted being 399, 633. But that's out of date.

On this page, http://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/bristol-population/we read:

Over the past ten years, the population of Bristol has grown about 10%, climbing by 40,000 from 390,000 in 2001 to 428,000 in 2011.

Yet even thats out of date. On Bristol's wiki page our population is 454, 200, and climbing.

14 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

that includes the surrounding areas, if you are talking about the city alone I think we rank 10th

http://www.citymayors.com/gratis/uk_topcities.html 

yours also shows portishead as being in wessex 

It's a bit strange to me that the 'city borders' don't include Kingswood, Downend, Mangotsfield etc, even though these areas are contiguous with the city borders. Just because they're supposedly in South Gloucestershire, these districts aren't counted as part of Bristol's population. I think they should be personally, and if they were, Bristol pop would be 500k +.

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

All he's done is compare the style of football to the equivalent of what a certain current manager has a reputation for.

Hardly an unjust comment.

Do you think Warnock would have survived as a successful manager for 38 years if all he got his teams to do was lump it up to a big guy up front? And that’s it? 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Do you think Warnock would have survived as a successful manager for 38 years if all he got his teams to do was lump it up to a big guy up front? And that’s it? 

Is Warnock your dad or something? You seem to jump on any post that even slightly suggests anything negative- evidence being this very thread where someone literally just compared styles and made no further comment.

No comments on this thread, other than yours, have said anything about the success Warnock has had.

One person drew comparisons between how Wimbledon played when they were top flight, and how Warnock sides in recent times have played.

A perfectly valid and not incorrect comparison.

Archived