IGNORED

Six Nations 2018 (Merged)

MichaelRobartes

My favourite time of the year again.

The first match is Wales against Scotland which is probably the game I'm most looking forward to this weekend. Wales have a bajillion injuries and are missing several important senior players like Biggar, Jon Davies, Liam Williams, Priestland, Ball, Warburton, Faletau and Lydiate. However, they've picked ten Scarlets to start, and anyone who has seen Scarlets play this season will be excited by that prospect. 

Scotland are due to name their team shortly, but nobody who has seen Glasgow play for the last few seasons will be surprised at the amount of Warriors players that will inevitably feature, nor the rugby that Scotland been playing under Gregor Townsend. 

Onto France v Ireland. It's possibly the biggest cliche in rugby is that nobody has a clue what France are going to do. Unfortunately it's more true than ever this season having recently binned off Guy Noves (who I mistakenly thought could turn them around) and the French Union's president Bernard Laporte being subject to an ongoing police investigation instigated by the national financial prosecutor. New coach Jacques Brunel has dropped Picamoles who we all remember was brilliant last year, recalled the outstanding Morgan Parra (Since ruled out of Saturday with injury) but most of the attention has been on the selection of 19-year-old Bordeaux Begles stand off Matthieu Jalibert. Bastareaud is also ruled out after his amazingly lenient ban for homophobic language which means he won't be able to chin Sexton like he usually does.

Ireland seem to be relatively unaffected by injuries for once, with O'Brien being the big miss. The back row is a huge area of strength however and the exotically-named but Dublin-born Josh van der Flier has been tipped to wear 7 alongside O'Mahony and Stander although the shirt could just as easily go to Dan Leavy. The only other selection dilemma is whether the vastly experienced Devin Toner or 21-year-old rising star James Ryan partner Iain Henderson in the row. Press indications seem to think that the latter will get the nod.

Sunday's match in Rome seems to be the easiest to call. England have won all 23 meetings between the two and althought I believe that O'Shea has and will improve Italy I can't see them doing anything beyond making life difficult for England here. 

England have their own issues with injuries, particularly with Nowell, Brown and Daly missing in the backs as well as Robshaw and Billy Vunipola's injuries and Haskell's ban. England's back row replacements look a little green and I still think they might have an issue in the front row if they come up against a referee who consistently punishes boring in (I'm looking at the banned Marler in particular here) and Mako Vunipola has admitted that his scrum work needs improvement.

Hard to pick a winner overall. I hate to say it but it seems that Ireland are in the strongest position with injuries and club form but you could make a reasonable case for all four British and Irish sides to emerge victorious. Certainly Wales and Scotland could turn anyone over and I'm not even going to try and predict what the French will or won't achieve. My feeling is that there won't be a Grand Slam anyway.

I too think Ireland this year @MichaelRobartes. As much as I want England to win, I just feel like their momentum isn't where it was, even last year. My prdicted table

1.Ireland

2.England

3. Scotland

4.France

5.Wales

6.Italy

Like you though, I don't  think there will be a slam. Looking forward to Saturday. Although i'm not at the stadium, I'm in Cardiff. The Saltire is out the cupboard as given the choice, I'd love Wales to get spanked.

I do love the 6 nations. Great month and a bit of top quality rugby.

England vs Ireland on the last day will determine who will win the Grand Slam. For me, England will win. They would have learned from their loss in Dublin last year and will adapt accordingly.

Scotland have been sensational in recent time, so i expect them to be a tough opponent when we go to Murrayfield, but i anticipate England to win and Scotland to finish 3rd behind us and Ireland. I am very much looking forward to Ireland vs Scotland in Round 4. 

The other 3 are a free for all in my opinion. Italy to finish bottom, but it could so easily be the other two. Amazing how Wales have fallen but it shows the strength of the other nations too.

The thing is that we always have a couple of baffling performances and results in us. I think we've won in Paris twice since Italy joined the tournament as well so that's probably why I never expect a win there. If England can get through the first match or two they'll get a few guys back as well.

I'm delighted you say that @The Batman because I'm never comfortable with Munster or Ireland being favourites. If it goes down to the last weekend, we haven't won in Twickenham since 2010 so England should win fairly comfortably.

@Welcome To The Jungle I don't necessarily disagree with your prediction for the final standings but I really do think Wales could be the surprise package if Gatland lets them play in a similar way to the Scarlets. Hopefully it'll be like a Scarlets - Glasgow match on Saturday!

4 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

@Welcome To The Jungle I don't necessarily disagree with your prediction for the final standings but I really do think Wales could be the surprise package if Gatland lets them play in a similar way to the Scarlets. Hopefully it'll be like a Scarlets - Glasgow match on Saturday!

Oh, I still believe that any of the bigger 5 (sorry Italy) could win it, hard one to call this year to be honest. Last two years I was very confident England would win but this year I'm not too sure. Funnily enough, although I think Scotland will finish higher than Wales and France, I believe the Welsh and French stand a better chance of winning the tournament. Perhaps that's just because the Scots haven't won it since the 90s (?) I don't see them as potential winners anymore.  

@MichaelRobartes Ireland do have a tremendous squad and any team with Sexton at 10 will always be a threat. He is the epitome of a rugby genius. You know exactly what he's going to do, yet most teams are powerless to stop him. His tactical kicking is as good as it's ever been and his link up play with Murray at scrum half causes havoc all over the pitch. Solid up front, free flowing and strong in the back. 

@Welcome To The Jungle - you are correct about Scotland. They have the honour of being the last winners of the 5 Nations back in 1999. England were about to win the Grand Slam that year before Scott Gibbs danced around everyone at Wembley Stadium to score a last minute try for Wales to give Scotland the trophy.  :grr::grr:

I never liked you, @Super :P

We have pretty horrible records at both grounds, so will have to do it the hard way for sure.

@The Batman it's vitally important that Sexton, Murray and Furlong stay injury free for Ireland. The latter two at least are probably the best in their positions in the world. My other area of concern is at full back. I think Kearney is keeping his place on reputation, and with Zeebs off to Racing 92 Andrew Conway is probably next in line but he's injured for this weekend. A back three of Earls, Stockdale and Conway would be as good as any Ireland team have had imo.

I see England have picked a powerful looking side that doesn't look nearly as green and injury-hit as Jones might like us to think (love his pound shop mind games). Again, I'm not sure about the choice of Brown at full back. If I was an England fan I'd like to see Watson given a chance there which would enable you to get three of Watson, Daly, Nowell and May on the pitch when everyone is fit.

@Welcome To The Jungle I think Scotland will finish at least third as well, they are a great example of how a team can improve when you invest in world class coaches like Cotter and Townsend. Their injury problems in the front row could be fatal but if they can hold their own up front you never know.

What England do have @MichaelRobartes is a strength in depth that the other 5 nations cannot compete with. England could enter two sides into this tournament and both sides would finish in the top 4 (out of 7) in my opinion. That said I still feel England will be vulnerable at scrum time and at the ruck, as we still lack great quality in the back row. Don't get me wrong, our back row are all solid tacklers, but they aren't great ball winners. It's a bit passive.

Beware the England midfield though

Haven't really followed club rugby for a while but history shows France usually performing well in the 6 nations after a lions series, added the fact that apparently I stuck a £10 bet on France to win in March last year sooooo Allez les Blues :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Absolutely amazed to see the bookies have Scotland as third favourites. Have they really improved THAT much??

Also, I read in The Times the other day that apparently the Irish and French players are actually paid more than England's players, despite the England RFU being the wealthiest in world rugby by a distance. 

The Scots are now a solid team, if lacking that killer edge to be the difference in big games. Most of their team will be 6 or 7 out of 10 every game, but rarely a 1, 2, 9 or 10. 

2 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I never liked you, @Super :P

We have pretty horrible records at both grounds, so will have to do it the hard way for sure.

@The Batman it's vitally important that Sexton, Murray and Furlong stay injury free for Ireland. The latter two at least are probably the best in their positions in the world. My other area of concern is at full back. I think Kearney is keeping his place on reputation, and with Zeebs off to Racing 92 Andrew Conway is probably next in line but he's injured for this weekend. A back three of Earls, Stockdale and Conway would be as good as any Ireland team have had imo.

I see England have picked a powerful looking side that doesn't look nearly as green and injury-hit as Jones might like us to think (love his pound shop mind games). Again, I'm not sure about the choice of Brown at full back. If I was an England fan I'd like to see Watson given a chance there which would enable you to get three of Watson, Daly, Nowell and May on the pitch when everyone is fit.

@Welcome To The Jungle I think Scotland will finish at least third as well, they are a great example of how a team can improve when you invest in world class coaches like Cotter and Townsend. Their injury problems in the front row could be fatal but if they can hold their own up front you never know.

Luckily for you mate my predictions are terrible!

Scotland have improved but they've got to start getting results away from home, beginning tomorrow.

Too tight to call between England and Ireland for the title but can't see a Grand Slam. Think England will beat Ireland at Twickenham but think we might get turned over somewhere else along the line, probably at Murrayfield.

Yes, I want England to win, but I watch the other games as an interested neutral.

Wales 12-0 up after less than 12 mins and it therefore lost any appeal as Scotland just weren't in it.

Hopefully France v Ireland will be more of a spectacle.

6 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Wow, Ireland last gasp drop goal, after France missed a kickable pen..

So did Ireland to be fair, with not long left.

Attrition rugby, but a great finish.

As for that being a head injury...cheating pure and simple. Across the 80 Ireland deserved to win, and would have been kicking themselves for what was looking a bad loss.

Home advantage has always been massive in the six nations, the stats back that up, so it was always likely the only team winning comfortably on the road this weekend would be England. 

I did wonder what all the hype was about concerning the Scots and they were shite, so many basic errors. Wales on the other hand looked brilliant. Maybe Scotland will be a different proposition at Murrayfield but suspect they'll finish in the bottom 3, as usual. 

Difficult to see past Ireland winning it now with their next three fixtures all at home and all very winnable (Italy,Wales,Scotland).

Pressure is on England.

1 hour ago, Midred said:

What about the straight balls into the scrum? :blink:

Yeah, a bit of mystery that!

Im not hugely knowledgeable about the finer points of rugby but it does seem to me that the RFU jiggle with the rules of the game endlessly.

Loads of comments on Tv about the scrum half having to have his shoulder parallel to the scrum - or something like that............:dunno:

Im still not sure what that actually means.....

What we saw in Paris was why I back the Irish this time. Stunning composure, execution and patience. Then add the best 10 in the Northern Hemisphere to kick a stunning goal to win it. I believe England will win at Twickenham against Ireland, but can see us coming unstuck in Paris and/or Murryfield.

It was noticeable that the referee at the Wales v Scotland game had gotten the memo about feeding at the scrums but the referees in the other 2 games clearly had not, it really needs sorting and of course the French managed to stretch the anatomical position of the head to include the legs/knees as well.

Will anything be done about either?, I doubt it.

I've just sobered up from Saturday anyway.

I said that I expected much from the Scots but also that Wales could surprise as Gatland was forced to pick on form rather than his favourites. I thought Scotland were the better side until the first Wales try, but after throwing that intercept pass the Scots completely fell apart and got destroyed. It was a pretty pathetic effort from them really. If Wales can replicate that performance for the next four rounds they will be difficult to beat.

I felt that Ireland were well in control of the game for 60 minutes or so. I was impressed with the French after all the upheaval, but we won the collisions, tired the French forwards and kicked our goals in pretty terrible conditions. Unfortunately we forgot to finish them off. Brilliant try from Teddy Thomas (although there will be some harsh words for a couple of lads during the video review) and we lost control of the game. Absolutely no luck about the brilliant 41-phase passage of play to put Sexton into any kind of position to drop the goal. It reminded me of ROG dropping a goal from the 10m line against Northampton a few years back, stunning finish. I still worry about Schmidt's compulsion to not properly utilise probably the most talented back three we've had in the professional era and we never looked like scoring a try.

I thought the Italians put it up to England a bit for a while on Sunday. It was good to see them turning down kickable penalties and going for the corner early on. Italy are never going to beat England by kicking goals so why not. England were always going to pull away as the game wore on and ultimately we didn't learn much about them. Youngs will be a miss for them having been ruled out of the rest of the tournament. I don't watch much Premiership rugby so does anyone know much about their scrum half prospects? I was surprised to see Wigglesworth getting a call up at his age.

Second round:

The first game in Dublin should be fairly straightforward. Nothing but a comprehensive win will do for Ireland, especially with Schmidt picking a few fringe guys and up-and-comers. I expect Ireland to pull away late and put a few scores on Italy like England did last weekend. Ireland by 35.

The tie of the weekend is obviously England against Wales. England are missing Ben Youngs for the rest of the tournament and whilst I think that Danny Care is a very good player I'm not sure that he offers the consistency that Youngs does. Interesting to see Joseph restored to the team at the expense of T'eo as well, a good move I think. Wales team of Scarlets plus special guests will be up against it, but I expect Patchell to continue stepping up in the big matches, despite Eddie Jones and his usual pound shop mind games. I wouldn't be surprised if Wales won this one, but I wouldn't put any money on it. England by 9.

Before last week I'd have fancied Scotland to hockey France at home, but after last week I'm not so sure. Injuries have forced France into a rethink at stand off and Beauxis is in for his first cap in a good while. What could possibly go wrong? Scotland by 7.

Archived