IGNORED

Six Nations 2018 (Merged)

MichaelRobartes

46 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I think it does matter where you are from. The banter in the six nations doesn't just come from the Rugby, but also our collective histories. It is for that reason that most Irish, Scot and Welsh fans will say they value a win over England than any other fixture. History. If me and a Scottish mate were chatting 6 nations and an American came over and started slagging off the Irish, my reaction would be something along the lines of "What has it got to do with you?" 

Eddie is an outsider to this Northern Hemisphere competition and so should, as you said, keep his mouth shut and get on with coaching.  

I don't agree that you're not allowed a laugh and a joke if you're new to the rivalry/competition. There's a big difference between a bit of fun and throwing words like scummy and shithole around though so we are possibly making slightly different points. I'm sure that Eddie was annoyed that we took his team's record - as a fan I'd like that it still hurt, bitterness is good - but there's no need to make it personal. I'd have said the same if England were being coached by Lancaster or Johnson (not that either of them would ever say something like that at an event) or anyone from the UK, whether they know the rivalry better than Eddie or not.

I also think that the English sometimes overstate how much the other countries don't like them. In my mind, Ireland have just as big a rivalry, if not bigger, with Wales and Scotland from the PRO14 than with England. I always especially want to beat France because of the amount of times they squeaked past us and derailed our Championship ambitions in the 2000s.

In other news, we've got the teams for Twickenham.

George, Cole, Launchbury, Care and Ford get the curly finger with Hartley, Sinckler, Wigglesworth and Joseph replacing them with Farrell going to stand off and Te'o to 13. Haskell and Simmonds come in for the injured Lawes and Hughes.

Watson, May, Joseph, T'eo, Daly; Farrell, Wigglesworth; Vunipola, Hartley, Sinckler, Itoje, Kruis, Robshaw, Haskell, Simmonds.

Replacements: George, Marler, Cole, Launchbury, Armand, Care, Ford, Brown.

People will talk about Jones panicking since he's made so many changes. I actually think it's quite a good selection for England, the back row in particular looks more balanced. I fancy Ireland's back row against most, but Lawes being at blindside would have really given us an opportunity. I haven't seen much of Sinckler since the Lions but it's very clear that he will give England a lot more around the park than Cole does which they'll probably need. 

The Ireland 23 is unchanged, Henderson swaps places with Toner who drops to the bench:

Kearney, Earls, Ringrose, Aki, Stockdale; Sexton, Murray; Healy, Best, Furlong, Ryan, Henderson, O'Mahony, Leavy, Stander.

Replacements: Cronin, McGrath, Porter, Toner, Murphy, Marmion, Carberry, Larmour.

Predictions for this week. I think that Italy have largely fulfilled the expectations I had of them before the tournament which was to show more in attack and score some good tries without necessarily getting that close to winning a match. I expect that to continue this weekend and Scotland to finish what has been overall probably a slightly disappointing Championship for them. Yes they had a great win over England and punished French indiscipline at home but they were well beaten by both Wales and Ireland away. Scotland by 18.

The big one is really difficult to call. Looking at the teams above on paper I would expect Ireland to win but nothing is played on paper. If you remove Italy from the equation, Ireland are the only team to win away from home so far in this Championship, and they only did that thanks to that unbelievable last play drop goal from Sexton. I don't think that England have lost at Twickenham since the 2015 World Cup and they'll be dying to spoil our party in the same way that we did theirs in 2011 and last year. Hope I'm wrong but I can't help but think that England will dig up something from somewhere and find a way to win. England by 6.

Finally, Wales v France in Cardiff. This is quite an exciting game and I like the look of both teams. France look like they've re-established some kind of professionalism and were only undone by the aforementioned drop goal in Paris and their own stupid indiscipline in Edinburgh. Wales have done fairly well without many of their stars, especially with their two toughest matches coming away from home. They were narrowly edged out by England and mounted in impressive comeback in Dublin after being beaten out the gate for most of the game. I'll go with the home team here but not by much. Wales by 5.

Keeping your head down @MichaelRobartes

The final weekend offered no real surprises, except Italy who pushed the Scots all the way. The best team by a country mile at this tournament won it. The Irish showed great discipline, composure and were clinical. They have been now for several years. If they can maintain these traits, they will be the Northern Hemispheres best hope next year in Japan.

The Scots in a word, inconsistent. Thrashed by Wales and nearly beaten by Italy shows that the Scots are far from the finished article. However they produced the best game of the tournament against Ireland, battered the English and showed great resolve to come back against the French. If they can get Finn Russel firing every week, and turn on the Scottish spirit we saw against England, I wouldn't rule out a semi final spot next year.

Wales seemed underwhelming, which is weird as they finished second in a year they have been ravished by injury, and probably should've won against England, for some questionable refereeing to deny them. The Welsh seem to be lacking that truly creative 10, to take them to the next level, which is why, despite playing very well, they never seemed to be contenders. For that reason, I feel they'll flatter to deceive in Japan. 

The French were typically French. Brilliant one minute, disastrous the next. This trend has been following the French for many years. They have to seriously improve their discipline over the next year to have any chance in Japan.  

Italy have to be fearing their position in this tournament. Bar the Scotland game, the rest of the games might as well have been byes. Quite simply they just are not good enough after nearly 20 years of playing in this competition. Can they even get out of the Pool next year, probably not.

England. On paper arguably the best side, but on the pitch they were shambolic, putting in their worst 6/5 nations showing since 1987. Not even Andy Robinson had us playing this badly. The discipline that Lancaster instilled has gone. Eddie now has to prove that he can organise and create foundations, rather than just temporarily inspire. How will they finish next year? Who knows?

54 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

The final weekend offered no real surprises, except Italy who pushed the Scots all the way. The best team by a country mile at this tournament won it. The Irish showed great discipline, composure and were clinical. They have been now for several years. If they can maintain these traits, they will be the Northern Hemispheres best hope next year in Japan.

The Scots in a word, inconsistent. Thrashed by Wales and nearly beaten by Italy shows that the Scots are far from the finished article. However they produced the best game of the tournament against Ireland, battered the English and showed great resolve to come back against the French. If they can get Finn Russel firing every week, and turn on the Scottish spirit we saw against England, I wouldn't rule out a semi final spot next year.

Wales seemed underwhelming, which is weird as they finished second in a year they have been ravished by injury, and probably should've won against England, for some questionable refereeing to deny them. The Welsh seem to be lacking that truly creative 10, to take them to the next level, which is why, despite playing very well, they never seemed to be contenders. For that reason, I feel they'll flatter to deceive in Japan. 

The French were typically French. Brilliant one minute, disastrous the next. This trend has been following the French for many years. They have to seriously improve their discipline over the next year to have any chance in Japan.  

Italy have to be fearing their position in this tournament. Bar the Scotland game, the rest of the games might as well have been byes. Quite simply they just are not good enough after nearly 20 years of playing in this competition. Can they even get out of the Pool next year, probably not.

England. On paper arguably the best side, but on the pitch they were shambolic, putting in their worst 6/5 nations showing since 1987. Not even Andy Robinson had us playing this badly. The discipline that Lancaster instilled has gone. Eddie now has to prove that he can organise and create foundations, rather than just temporarily inspire. How will they finish next year? Who knows?

I think that Jones has abjectly failed and should pay the price.

England look to me like a team of robots that are slow and predictable in every aspect of the game, especially at the breakdown where it makes them far too easily prone to giving away totally needless penalties, by the time they recycle the ball the opponents are organised defensively, whereas England are so slow to organise defensively and they are forever being caught out by quick recycled possession or again giving away penalties.

England do not look like a team, they look like 15 mistake prone individuals.

Let's be honest we were well and deservedly beaten by Ireland, France and Scotland, lucky against Wales and very ordinary against Italy, France and Scotland are improving and France especially with some more coaching have the look of a potentially exciting team, Wales and Ireland are at present much better than England.

Well done Ireland deserved 6 nations champions.

3 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

That took a full 36 hours of recovery from the aftermath. 

The only worry from an Irish point of view is that we might be peaking 18 months too early again, we are usually horrible in World Cups. That said, winning a Slam with the toughest fixtures - trips to Paris and London - is an incredible achievement for what is - Best, Sexton and Kearney aside - a pretty young team.

Agree with most of your verdicts on the other teams, except that I think it was a pretty successful year for the Welsh given how many injuries they have. They did well to come back against us after we'd battered them but as you say they need to decide on who their best 10 is. I'd like to see Patchell given a run of games to impress, I really rate him. I think there was also clear progression from France in terms of Brunel getting the players on script in very little time. If he continues to improve standards in terms of attitude and discipline then it'll go a long way towards making them a good outfit again. They very nearly turned us over as well. Italy's attacking play has improved a lot and I think they scored more tries in the competition than they ever have done before. They're heading in the right direction.

I don't know if England are the best side on paper to be honest. Before the tournament I'd probably have taken George, the locks, Billy V if he was fit, Daly and Farrell for the Ireland 23. I think that the main thing they're lacking is balance and on-field leadership though. When things are looking bad for Ireland they have several guys with leadership qualities and/or lots of captaincy experience on the pitch, England seem to have hardly any and I don't know what they can do to rectify that. I'd probably start by making Farrell captain, finding a proper 7 for the bench when Underhill is fit and getting Slade into midfield as soon as he's fit.

Archived