IGNORED

Promised land

BcfcDuncs

We wouldn't get plastics following us in the top flight if we got there.

They wouldn't be able to get tickets, if we go up then we'll have a massive number of season ticket holders and any remaining tickets for home games

will be snapped up by members, I don't imagine any of our home games would go to general sale.

And away from home all away tickets will be snapped up by season ticket holders.

I think when you go up from the Championship to the Premier League you just have to enjoy the ride.. your written off at the start of the season, your a big favourite to go down

so its up to you to defy the odds and stay up... personally I think we've shown with the cup run that we'll be able to hold our own in the premier league.

Pros:
* Competing at the top level in the country would be nice
* Chance to see some of the world's best players more often
* Generates more of a buzz for league games
* Bigger away days
* Rewarding to see Lansdown, Johnson, Tinman, even Scotty Murray and all the others that have been at the club for some time really achieve something special
* More likely to progress further in cups, and hugely increases likelihood of reaching/winning an FA Cup or League Cup

Cons:
* Even if we do ok and stay up, we wouldn't be "competing" very well.  In the last 20/30 years, we've generally been either a good/decent 3rd tier, or mid/poor 2nd level team.  But even when we've struggled in the Championship, there's always a sense that with a few improvements we could realistically be challenging at the top (as this season has shown).  It's highly unlikely that we'll get to that footing in the Premier League and even if we did we'd still be way behind the top 6/7 long-term
* "Casual" fans are gonna become even more irritating.  Not sure casual is the right word to use as it's fine to have a casual interest in something.  When you speak of that interest as if your word is gospel is when it can get annoying, and this would happen every single week around the city
* Harder to get tickets
* A big chance we'd start to feel even more isolated from the players as their wages would rise and they'd just generally become more disconnected

50 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Closer away matches. We're so bloomin' far away from most cities/towns in the Championship. 

Is this actually true?

At the moment our closest games are Cardiff, Reading, Birmingham, Villa, Brentford.

In the Prem our closest games would be WBA, Swansea, Bournemouth, Southampton, London clubs. Similarly long trips up North and North East. Doesn’t seem much different to me.

I'd look forward to getting to more games. Away to Arsenal, Spurs, Watford, Brighton, Palace, West Ham and Chelsea would all be possible. 

I'd look forward to other football fans kind of sort of knowing who we are.

I'd love having Fammy and Bryan in my fantasy team.

I would not look forward to chants of "where were you when you were shit".

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Is this actually true?

At the moment our closest games are Cardiff, Reading, Birmingham, Villa, Brentford.

In the Prem our closest games would be WBA, Swansea, Bournemouth, Southampton, London clubs. Similarly long trips up North and North East. Doesn’t seem much different to me.

And Wolves. 

Six London clubs: Watford (not actually in London but who cares), Palace, Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham and Spurs. 

Bournemouth and Southampton aren't that easy to get to. 

West Brom is easy. 

You're probably right. It might be slightly fewer miles if we go up, but not by much. We need Newcastle and Huddersfield to go down and Swansea and West Brom to survive.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Things I'd look forward to

• New grounds
  • Playing against a few of the biggest teams in the world.

Things I wouldn't enjoy

• Trying to get a ticket for away games
  • Atmospheres you tend to get in the premier league are a lot more watered down, probably because there is a lot of tourists (bigger clubs)
  • Games constantly being moved for TV times. 
  • The probable relegation battles year upon year, trying to scrape 40 points to stay up. 

I'd much rather we won a cup tbh. I'm still gutted we lost last Tuesday. 

Me too, would be amazing to win the FA Cup as that's something that is part of football history. The good thing is the money for getting to and staying in the PL would massively help towards this goal!

anyone calling it The Promised Land, for a start. You do realize The Promised Land refers to the land that God handed to Abraham? Not a flipping TV show bankrolled by Rupert Murdoch? 

Don't get me wrong, I will go bananas if City are promoted, but we should be under no illusion that it will change us as a club forever. Modern times, modern solutions - all rubbish. 

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I would not look forward to us being a struggling team, unable to complete financially with the big players.  I enjoy seeing us winning/.  I don't enjoy seeing us losing.

Cost of season tickets will be astronomical.

Too many games not on a Saturday afternoon.

If I'm honest, it's hard to see that many benefits, except to see all the top players and to be 'up there'.  Frankly, I think I could get used to being a 'nearly' club with a decent cup run every now and then.  Sorry if this is all getting a bit existential, but the goal for me is to be promoted, though I'm not sure that I'm going to like it when we get there.  A tricky one to balance out.

I don't think the season tickets would be astronomical, we are currently dearer than quite a few premiership sides, don't see it changing much.

1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

anyone calling it The Promised Land, for a start. You do realize The Promised Land refers to the land that God handed to Abraham? Not a flipping TV show bankrolled by Rupert Murdoch? 

Don't get me wrong, I will go bananas if City are promoted, but we should be under no illusion that it will change us as a club forever. Modern times, modern solutions - all rubbish. 

You do realise there is no God?

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The thing I would hate is for it to become boring. Realistically unless you're Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, United or City you've got a ceiling. I would hate for us to be a West Brom or someone just scraping survival every year. 

I'd rather get relegated than be another West Brom, Pulisball, shite football week in week out team. If that ever happens to City I'll form City of Bristol FC.

If we made it, then the away games would be quality.  The chance to go to Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, Emirates, and the rest would be bloody marvellous. 

Only bad thing would be having to sell the house or the children to afford season ticket and all the away games / travel ...

Archived