IGNORED

Burton away - first away game

Bcfccity

Only a quick post, do you think Burton away for my daughter first away game is a good choice.

i went last year and know we would have to sit in the seated section as if we score like last season I don’t think the standing section is very safe for a 7 year old.

also is not to far and is a nice drive, anyone else have an opinion or if there is any other future away game which would also be a good choice.

looking into things like travel distance, times, seating and months where it stars getting a touch warmer.

42 minutes ago, Bcfccity said:

Only a quick post, do you think Burton away for my daughter first away game is a good choice.

i went last year and know we would have to sit in the seated section as if we score like last season I don’t think the standing section is very safe for a 7 year old.

also is not to far and is a nice drive, anyone else have an opinion or if there is any other future away game which would also be a good choice.

looking into things like travel distance, times, seating and months where it stars getting a touch warmer.

Bcfccity reckon it’s a great place to take her.  You’ll have your own memories from last season. My visit last year included a few things (beer and curry) that would not work with a 7 year old.

My recollections....this is a ground that will be fairly new to many City fans. It's a very neat and compact stadium with a capacity of just under 7,000!

As a neutral back in October (saw the Brewers v Birmingham) I stood on the terrace facing the dug outs it felt like I was very close to the pitch.

Commercially they were struggling badly e.g. the refreshment areas were inadequately staffed so there were long queues for food and drinks and there was no sign of programmes.

There are lots of pubs (and terraced houses) in Burton; best pubs in Burton: Red Lion Duffield Lane, good food, The Alfred, Devonshire Arms, Coopers Tavern (http://www.joulesbrewery.co.uk/pubs/pub_details.php?id=6), the Beeches (pub near the ground) is apparently OK.

If you have time a visit to the Marston Brewery is well worth considering: http://www.marstonsbrewery.co.uk/visit/tour-info/

Good Thai restaurant: Favourite Thai, 7-8 Market Place, Burton upon Trent, DE14 1HA.

We had good food in The Gurkha Curry Lounge, 48-49 Station Street, Burton upon Trent, DE14 1AX.

If you decide to go hope that you and your daughter really enjoy the trip and that City do the business. Please cheer the City on for me!

Never been to Burton but judging by what people say, its a really nice away game, everyone really friendly, I found Norwich was the most friendliest away game this season.  I take our kid to most away games and the two I said we have to be careful, is of course Cardiff and Leeds, most other grounds this season have been a really good experience, no problems encountered.

Not been to the stadium before, but if I were taking my 7-year-old to an away game, this would be the one. Will be making the trip this time, so have been reading up on it a bit, and having a look at what other supporters say about their ground, fans etc. Seated section is a big plus for young kids. And the Burton supporters come across as a friendly bunch. Like you say, pretty easy to get there as well.

It’s in March, so not too cold, which is a good thing. Take plenty of supplies - i e snacks and drinks - as approx 2 hours is  sometimes a bit much for children who haven’t been to a match before 

14 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

If it's anything like the Burton game at home, it's going to be dull as dishwater though.

But if it's anything like Burton away last season it'll be a last minute thriller  ;)

Back to the OP, went last season and was in the seated section on the side, decent enough facilities and very friendly around the ground so a decent start for a young un.

Tickets will need to be snapped up quick though as it'll sell out quickly.

41 minutes ago, Bcfccity said:

Any idea when they will be getting released?

last year few people got pushed over when we scored last minute so fed won’t be behind the goal

Does your daughter have a season ticket..? If not, then I doubt you’ll be able to get a ticket for her, for this one. 

Other than than, it’s an ideal first away game. Not to far, weather should be mild, no trouble, decent surrounding area. 

Archived