IGNORED

Tubby T to Forest

The Original OTIB

29 minutes ago, Xiled said:

If the Forest move goes ahead for Tomlin (even a loan) it baffles me that another club is prepared to take a chance on this bloke.

Bournemouth couldn't wait to get rid, anyone who followed Championship football would assume we had trouble with him and Cardiff haven't given him more than a handful of starts since September despite paying £2M to £3M - their marquee summer signing.

Desperation maybe but why do Forest think they'll be able to get him playing?

I was absolutely amazed that we were able to get rid of him without paying up his contract. And yet there is at least one club more naive than Cardiff who are prepared to pay an inflated wage for a bench warmer with 'a high rib cage'. Quite incredible.

Presumably Karanka knows what he is like, he had him up at Boro

21 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Presumably Karanka knows what he is like, he had him up at Boro

And as has been said in this thread, a lot closer to Leicester so is significantly closer to home. Karanka should have the best chance of dragging that talent back onto the pitch.

But, if Wikipedia can be believed, Karanka signed him on a 3.5 year deal, Tomlin stayed for a year and a half and then was sold to Bournemouth for £3.5M.

Even in 2015, wanted players were going to the Prem for a lot more money than that - especially with two years on their contact. Doesn't that say something about how he was seen within the club at Middlesborough?

It's a very different situation at Forest today compared to Boro in 2015 but I'm not sure even this move will work out.

The problem for a Tomlin is that football and The Championship in particular has moved on massively in the last few years. It's the speed, fitness & desire of the top players & teams that sets them apart. Tomlin has none of these attributes & given that his attitude is questionable it is therefore highly unlikely that his natural talent alone will be sufficient to succeed at this level any more. His career is on a downward spiral from this point on.

6 hours ago, BigTone said:

Just a wasted talent these days who needs to sit down and take a good hard look at what he is going to regret.

6 hours ago, BigTone said:

He needs to advertise this business more to fat feckers like me !!  But then again do I want to walk around looking like a 58 year old Lee Tomlin clone .................... no ta.

Just wondering what do you think Big Tomlin would look like in one of your famous unique multi coloured/patterned shirts Big Tone...?  (maybe form a double act if he likes 'em when football finally gives him the old heave-ho..? Twin designer label models perhaps ? - The Too Big Two Tease Twins! )  

Fancy a fashionista future on the catwalks of the World Tone?   :)  

6 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Just wondering what do you think Big Tomlin would look like in one of your famous unique multi coloured/patterned shirts Big Tone...?  (maybe form a double act if he likes 'em when football finally gives him the old heave-ho..? Twin designer label models perhaps ? - The Too Big Two Tease Twins! )  

Fancy a fashionista future on the catwalks of the World Tone?   :)  

Not sure that the Tubster could hack the commuting involved when doing shows in places such as Paris, Prague & Pill. Think he would want to stay home nearer to Mummy.

9 hours ago, tommy_b said:

JET - seems he reappeared in U23 games in the last few weeks but ultimately he is just winding down his contract until the summer I expect. 

Cant imagine he ends up anywhere as a free agent, he certainly doesn’t seem to suggest he is that interested in football from his public attitude / performances since leaving us. 

From what little I've seen hes mostly heading into the PR/Basketball stuff he started here with the flyers. Hes always bigging up his boxer mate too.

In fairness he didn't even feature on the QPR website as a player at the start of the season, they totally excluded him as if not at the club.

Maybe he turned down some moves away, maybe nobody wanted him. Either way its pretty harsh to just pretend hes not your player unless something else is going on.

Maybe Holloway is still seething about that goal of his.

This does make Forest (away) a very different match to the one I envisaged later in the season.

In my head the way the fixtures have fallen, we have fewer tough away games in the second half of the year than we had in the first (with Wolves, Villa, Derby all ticked off, plus a lot of long distance journeys to places we don't usually win i.e. Hull, Sunderland, East Anglia).

Notwithstanding there are no easy games™ I expected our toughest remaining fixtures were likely to be at Cardiff, Leeds and perhaps Middlesbrough, but Forest have literally bought a new team that Karanka knows well enough for them to be nothing like previous form.

11 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Had a long chat with a QPR fan at the fan zone last week.  Yes, still drawing his salary and not playing in any team at QPR. All a bit strange really. Seems he has issues that never really surfaced here. Such a popular player held in high regard by the majority here it seems such a waste that his playing career will simply fizzle out. 

Like Tomlin on his day he was unplayable, who will ever forget that goal against the Gas.

Hey ho onwards and upwards 

Such a terrible waste. Fantastically gifted and Wenger believed he could be a future first team player.

One of my biggest football frustrations is see young men waste their ability. Another one is Ravel Morrison. Rio Ferdinand was telling the story on BT about how Fergie called Rooney and Rio over to watch Ravel as a teen training. He said ‘he’s more talented than both of you, he’s more talented than Giggs, this is the best young kid you’ll ever see - look at him’ and they were amazed. I was told by a poster on here that Ravel would defy United’s club rules and play in 5 a side kickabouts with his mates.

Even seasoned campaigner Allardyce couldn’t tame him post-United and that’s a man who even got the likes of El Hadji Diouf to play well and behave. 

I see Ravel is playing in Mexico on loan from Lazio now. Good to see him playing regularly again but it’s a terrible shame that someone with his ability isn’t playing regularly in the Prem and even for England.

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

One of my biggest football frustrations is see young men waste their ability.

I know exactly what you're saying (I think everyone is in awe of people good enough to be professional footballers and finds it amazing that anyone would squander that opportunity) but I heard a very different perspective on this recently which I've come around to quite strongly.

The example given to me is when you meet naturally smart people in business - perhaps even entrepreneurial: i.e. energetic, intelligent, inspiring, instinctively know the right decisions. But the fact is, being successful in business is nothing without long hours, risks and hard graft.

Plenty of people have those attributes but just don't want the grief and sacrifices that go with it, so tread water in simple jobs, don't move to where their potential would be realised, perhaps even drift towards other interests. Very few people notice, must less think any less of them.

Yet in football it's frowned upon. Football requires dedication, drive and hard work. Gone are the days of George Best type characters who are blessed with talent and can enjoy life too. When people with the talent decide they don't want to sacrifice their life, we're all amazed.

The conclusion of this argument, is that we all in different ways make decisions in our working lives on whether we will make sacrifices or not.. will we spend more time away from family, or burn ourselves out a bit more. But for footballers we find even the choice incomprehensible!

6 minutes ago, Olé said:

I know exactly what you're saying (I think everyone is in awe of people good enough to be professional footballers and finds it amazing that anyone would squander that opportunity) but I heard a very different perspective on this recently which I've come around to quite strongly.

The example given to me is when you meet naturally smart people in business - perhaps even entrepreneurial: i.e. energetic, intelligent, inspiring, instinctively know the right decisions. But the fact is, being successful in business is nothing without long hours, risks and hard graft.

Plenty of people have those attributes but just don't want the grief and sacrifices that go with it, so tread water in simple jobs, don't move to where their potential would be realised, perhaps even drift towards other interests. Very few people notice, must less think any less of them.

Yet in football it's frowned upon. Football requires dedication, drive and hard work. Gone are the days of George Best type characters who are blessed with talent and can enjoy life too. When people with the talent decide they don't want to sacrifice their life, we're all amazed.

The conclusion of this argument, is that we all in different ways make decisions in our working lives on whether we will make sacrifices or not.. will we spend more time away from family, or burn ourselves out a bit more. But for footballers we find even the choice incomprehensible!

I think you're right Rob.  Another interesting area is the creative arts, where it is clear that with hours of systematic practice almost anyone can achieve a high standard, particularly in music.  The notion of inate ability is only a part of the story, and there are many hugely gifted musicians whose careers fell by the wayside because they were simply not prepared to put the hours in, while others less talented have made the grade.

A lot of other factors kick in too though: for instance, family background is important - without encouragement at home the dedication is simply not going to be there.   I do think though that character and personality is critical in all of this: players need determination to succeed, and if that is not there, however much talent they have it is likely to go to waste.  When I'm recruiting staff, I look for attitude and fit first, and ability second.

12 hours ago, RedM said:

JET? So much of this thread could have been written about him too. Where is he now, I honestly don’t know?

He never upset the dressing room though....would have been easy to throw his toys out the pram for the little game time he got under Cotts, but I think in some ways it suited him.  Always thankful that he was ‘chilled’ being sub most of the time.

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Like me on a golf course....or looking at the list of establishments from which I’m banned...

I bet you’ve never been banned from any establishment, on tour you even used to put your ice lolly wrapper in the bin :whistle:

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

Exactly, I totally agree.

What's the recurring theme with these mecurial players (Noble, JET, Tomlin, Ravel)? They all fail to live the right lifestyle. Whether it's enjoying a drink too much or staying on the straight and narrow all of the aforementioned have their demons or vices.

Look at Yannick Bolasie, a good player in his own right anyway but made sacrifices to get an edge. It suddenly clicked for him and he became obsessive about analysis, functional strength and recovery. He worked with Back2Action here in Bristol - link 1, link 2, link 3 - (who, encouragingly, are the fitness company Bobby Reid also works with). They helped Yannick rehabilitate from an injury whilst here and then moved onto working on all the extra '5%' aspects required to make it at the top.

There are plenty of players in the Prem who aren't even necessarily that talented relatively speaking. Gary Neville always admitted he was the least talented of the 'class of 92' but ensured he kept pace by working obsessively. 

Even Beckham was pretty obsessive - frequently staying behind after training to work on incremental details such as free kick over and over again. Can you imagine David Noble doing that instead of going out for a Peroni on the waterfront with Richard Keogh?

It's so frustrating, particularly for people like Ravel, because he genuinely had all the ability you could want. He was born with a gift that 99.999% of people could only dream of.. and he's wasting it.

Talent is one thing, the mindset to make the most of that talent is another.

I think every footballer has the right to make personal choices with their playing career.

However, if they're being paid £25k per week - much of which is generated by supporters who may not earn that amount a year, then a footballer's choices are somewhat diminished unless they agree to suspend their wages when they suspend their work ethic and/or commitment.

Does Tomlin warrant being paid £25,000 per week? Ultimately; Eddie Howe didn't think so , Lee Johnson didn't think so and even the prat over the bridge thinks not.

Archived