IGNORED

Lucic

BRISTOL86

I’m happy about this.

Not against Ivan personally, but the higher we go, and the better we do, the theory is those coming through should be better. 

We are a championship club with premier aspirations. The quality of the players coming through (notwithstanding they were signed from elsewhere, they were U23s) needs to reflect this and if Lucic & DDG aren’t felt to have the potential or attitude to reach that level, we need to clear the decks for Max O’Leary, Opi Andrews or whoever’s next.

Not a surprise and sensible management all round

At 22 he’s not exactly a youngster as such and reality is he’s been pretty much nowhere near our team the entire time he’s been here.  

He might be great in 3 years time but I think it’s a simple case of looking upwards - if he wasn’t ever in real contention for the jersey in the Championship then I guess they see little point in keeping him when promotion is the aim. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

At 22 he’s not exactly a youngster as such and reality is he’s been pretty much nowhere near our team the entire time he’s been here.  

He might be great in 3 years time but I think it’s a simple case of looking upwards - if he wasn’t ever in real contention for the jersey in the Championship then I guess they see little point in keeping him when promotion is the aim. 

I think it's a bit different for keepers, their career is usually 4 or 5 years longer than an outfield player so in outfield terms he's 17! A bit of Nigerian age manipulation there :ph34r: but you get my point..

I suspect the issue with him may be attitude. It doesn't tell the full story of course but going by his Instagram, he certainly enjoys himself away from football. LJ has alluded to this before implying he lacks maturity. 

I didn't watch him enough to accurately appraise him but I wouldn't imagine his wages were particularly high.. for us to get rid of a young keeper we've got to be very sure he's not going to work out here.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it's a bit different for keepers, their career is usually 4 or 5 years longer than an outfield player so in outfield terms he's 17! A bit of Nigerian age manipulation there :ph34r: but you get my point..

I suspect the issue with him may be attitude. It doesn't tell the full story of course but going by his Instagram, he certainly enjoys himself away from football. LJ has alluded to this before implying he lacks maturity. 

I didn't watch him enough to accurately appraise him but I wouldn't imagine his wages were particularly high.. for us to get rid of a young keeper we've got to be very sure he's not going to work out here.

Good point about the age thing - my point was that if he hasn’t been able to get near our team in the time he’s been here, I guess they haven’t seen anything to suggest that’s going to change any time soon. 

All the best to him, for me it certainly doesn’t have the feeling of one we’ll look back on and regret too much but stranger things have happened!

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Good point about the age thing - my point was that if he hasn’t been able to get near our team in the time he’s been here, I guess they haven’t seen anything to suggest that’s going to change any time soon. 

All the best to him, for me it certainly doesn’t have the feeling of one we’ll look back on and regret too much but stranger things have happened!

I think it was Fielding who said that on a game he was commentating on - said it means his football age is 25!

Yep, bit of a shame because I like to see young players grow and develop. I was excited by his pedigree coming from Bayern. 

Shame that we couldn't get him a good English loan last year, the implication at the time was that clubs in this country simply weren't aware of him so wouldn't take him. He was seen as too good for the conference so we had to loan him out to Denmark.

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

22 is a youngster in an position, 22 as a GK is basically 14 for an outfield player 

Something’s gone on for him to fall so far out of favour 

2 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

We don't have a 30+ year old keeper!! Not least an out of form one. Care to elaborate?

I'm guessing they mean Steele who, for my money, has mostly looked solid in covering for Frankie. Whilst it was worth a punt at ~£300k to see if he was any good it's a shame Lucic couldn't cut it here, but I'm not too worried he's off. 

10 minutes ago, Creg said:

I'm guessing they mean Steele who, for my money, has mostly looked solid in covering for Frankie. Whilst it was worth a punt at ~£300k to see if he was any good it's a shame Lucic couldn't cut it here, but I'm not too worried he's off. 

11 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Luke Steele? 

Sorry Guys I was being slightly pedantic. He's clearly not been watching as LS has been immense during very little game time this season IMHO

My guess (pure guess work) is Lucic came over from being 4th choice at Munich hoping to be closer to 1st team football with us, played back up to Frankie, wasn't awful when played for us but not really close to challenging Frankie at the same time. We bring in Steele needing another first team option pushing Lucic down to #3 and a similar situation to what he faced at Munich. Seems to me Lucic doesn't want to spend a few years out on loan and would rather find himself a permanent club where he's #1. Will be interesting to see if he stays over here or goes back to europe. 

11 minutes ago, Andy Horsman said:

Not particularly surprised or disappointed. Never saw what others seemed to in him. No matter how good a keeper may be playing out from the back, he's a potential liability if the basics aren't sound. I'll trust the judgement of the club's coaches on this one!

But, but, he played for Bayern Munich so he must be ace, or something. 

27 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

In all fairness i would have let Bobby Reid go at 22.. looking at him now at almost 25 that would obviously have been the wrong decision.. but fair shout if he Lucic is deemed not good enough or if they don't think he has enough room for improvement its a fair call.

Archived