IGNORED

Team for Bolton ?

barneyrubble

1 hour ago, MetzRed said:

You know and we're contractually obliged to play him...

Not strictly true.  There are financial penalties if he doesn’t play the required amount of games....that’s not the same as he’s got to play!  So far he’s featured in 3 of the 4 games we’ve had.  Some other club stipulated 75% or a fine, so we are bang on if the same agreement...and its appearances based rather than minutes.  Injuries are factored in too.

We will have entered the contract with eyes wide open.  If he shit, or has bad attitude, we’ll end up paying the fine.  I can’t believe MA will have agreed a deal that in anyway impacts the team selection.  That’s not to say LJ can’t be clever about the level of involvement Kent has, e.g. bring him on as sub for last 5-10 minutes.  

As it stands he should make the match day 18 each game, he is a good option, slightly different to Pato or O’Dowda in the wide positions.

5 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I would go for it, maybe even consider a flexible 3-5-2, where we could revert to a back 4 when and where necessary.

Steele

Wright                   Flint              Magnússon

Pack

Brownhill              Smith                 Bryan

Reid

Diedhiou                       Diony

That front three could cause Bolton some proper problems.  If the midfield can win enough of the ball to keep it up Bolton's end then we could be in business.

5 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I would go for it, maybe even consider a flexible 3-5-2, where we could revert to a back 4 when and where necessary.

Steele

Wright                   Flint              Magnússon

Pack

Brownhill              Smith                 Bryan

Reid

Diedhiou                       Diony

Yep go with that. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Why?  Did well Saturday when he came on?

Imho, why f€@k about with moving Bailey alongside Flint, and then having to play Korey at RB.  We’ve lost a left footed LCB, and we have another one who’s been in the 18 man squad and started several games this season.

Of course Bailey is a Natural CB, but it means he has to play on the left side of Flint....and that stifles his comfortableness on the ball.  Bolton will close Down on his right side and make him use his weaker foot.

We all know Korey’s worth in midfield, especially away from home,

Only my opinion, but if you don’t play Magnússon now, especially with no Madine, you’ll never play him.

Completely correct.

I would just add though that I think it is madness that we are at this point of the season & our sole natural RB has been fit to start 20% of our league games.

Why does that matter? Because if we did have a “proper” RB available then personally I would have paired Wright with Flint in Baker’s absence tomorrow.

But we don’t, so Magnússon should play, also because as you say, that also gives us Korey & Pack in central midfield to combat Henry & Pratley.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Completely correct.

I would just add though that I think it is madness that we are at this point of the season & our sole natural RB has been fit to start 20% of our league games.

Why does that matter? Because if we did have a “proper” RB available then personally I would have paired Wright with Flint in Baker’s absence tomorrow.

But we don’t, so Magnússon should play, also because as you say, that also gives us Korey & Pack in central midfield to combat Henry & Pratley.

I think the interesting thing about tomorrow is just under a full week since our last fixture. Knowing Baker would be out has allowed Johnson to spend time with the team on shape.

I ageee for me it’s Mags and Flint at centre half , but I guess it will be a big indication to whether maybe Johnson has lost some trust in Mags 

Nice to have a few options, would certainly stick to the formation that has served us well and the players are comfortable with. Would not start with Lois, in fact can't understand why the rush to get the 3 new signings in, seems based more on hope than objectivity, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And don't treat Bolton lightly, they have improved recently.

5 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Bolton have lost just one League game at home since end of September, to Burton. 

They haven't faced us at their 'home' yet!

Didn't LJ say that Aiden Baldwin might be in the squad during Baker's absence out of interest? He's a centre half isn't he? 

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

They haven't faced us at their 'home' yet!

Didn't LJ say that Aiden Baldwin might be in the squad during Baker's absence out of interest? He's a centre half isn't he? 

I think all he said was Baldwin had been training with the 1st team squad for a few weeks.  There was no reference to playing, bench or even travelling to Bolton.

Of last Saturday’s 18, only Baker is out, so personally I would expect Kelly to come back in on the bench.  By all means take Baldwin for the experience and cover, but I don’t think he should jump ahead of any of the 17 + Kelly.  Kelly can play LCB too...it’s where I first saw him play.

Thats only my view.

The change LJ made to 3-5 1 from 4 4 1 when Brownhill and Maggers came on against QPR made such a difference to our effectiveness that he must have seriously considered  3 5 2 for tomorrow.  The reason for not playing 3 5 2 normally is that Flint and Baker don't easily fit it 3 at the back when both playing.  Both are ideally suited to being the central one of 3.  Without Baker, it just looks better with Maggers and Wright either side.  They are both centre halves who have been playing at full back.  Brownhill and Bryan are both very good wing backs. 

We have enough choice from the midfielders and attackers to play a variety of attacking shapes.   Could play Pack holding with Reid and Smith either side as we did on Saturday or play Smith and Pack together with Pato and Bobby behind Famara .  Or play Bobby in CAM with both Diony and Famara up top. Kent could play instead of Pato.  Or Walsh could make a midfield 3 with Bobby and Famara up top..  None of this sticking our best midfielder at right back nonsense...

I’m always happy with a point away from home, but I agree, we really need to put pressure on the other teams.

Leeds v Cardiff

Wolves v Sheffield Utd

can help our position this weekend, but only if we help ourselves first.  We’ve had a rest (as have they), and they’ve lost their top scorer.

I for once will be frustrated if we don’t get 3 points.

Archived