IGNORED

resident parking to include saturdays.

markyou

14 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Well its a story for those people that currently park north of North Street

Which I do...  so I try to park south of North Street and that becomes a problem for other people who normally park there.  I come from Bath and public transport is a pretty tortuous alternative.  When are the club going to do something about this?  I really feel that the are more culpable than the Council.

Bigger issue is that its once again forcing the issue south of North Street. As someone who lives towards Duckmoor and Greville, think its a joke that Southville gets this preferential treatment. 

You live near a football stadium, but youre near the town centre, a 'great' highstreet in an improving area (according to Ferguson).

If your buying a house south of Coronation. Tough ****, and suck it up. At least said demographic get parking on weekdays. People who actually work on NS park round our gaff and makes most days feel like a matchday ffs...

9 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Corbyns fault.

Of course not, it's the time old Bristol syndrome of making promises and then breaking them, offering words of encouragement to Bristol success stories but then hindering them at every avenue, prevaricating for so long with 'schemes' that if by some stroke of luck become a reality are already unfit for purpose.

And at present if it doesn't involve removing of the word Colston from every part of Bristol life and landscape, it's probably not that important.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Doesnt this affect my human right to park within 10 minutes walk of a football ground on a Saturday?  

People will have to walk an extra five minutes?  This is unbelievable!

What is unbelievable is that there is a park and ride facility within half a mile of the ground with 2,000 parking spaces and our totally and utterly useless and joyless politicians seem not to be bothered about doing something about that situation and all we get from the useless marvellous Marvin is similar old age Jordanian type responses that gas fans get from their owner about time and difficulty, never a solution, which is what he should be working towards.

This is a key paragraph- assuming it's the same article- especially the line I'll highlight.

One thing the residents would like to see happen is a Matchday Parking Scheme. For anyone who has been to any Premiership match, and a lot of Championship clubs, a scheme like this is a given. It’s actually fairly unusual for a stadium in a residential area that regularly gets 20,000-plus crowds not to have one.

As I've said before in fact.

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Unbelievably ,there was an excellent two page spread article about this in the EP yesterday !

And of course no actual solutions or even hope of a breakthrough, just BS about how difficult a situation it is, Bristol council couldn't organise a parking space in a multi storey car park, but if you have Colston in your name, just you watch out.

51 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Well its a story for those people that currently park north of North Street

I was just wondering this. The zone in question isn't even next to the ground. On that basis it would seem like NIMBYism of the worst kind. People who live around the ground clearly don't have a problem with presumably the same or higher levels of congestion, but people in Southville side of North Street, do? What is the difference? Only one I can think of is a few more anti-football brigade.

For what it's worth, this affects me a lot. I alternate between train and driving depending on how much time I have, but when I drive (3 hours+ one way from South East London), I park in this zone as I bring a lot of South Bristol stock which people know they can get from the Spanish Bar (also in the zone) and I don't want to have to be miles away having to carry lots of stock (after 3 hours driving).

I'll probably never drive again, it's not worth the hassle - which is obviously the intention, but bit of a joke when it relates to people coming from hours away. To be honest when I'm there by 1pm there isn't any problem parking in this particular zone - there are plenty of spaces, i.e. the residents clearly aren't struggling, which again leads me back to my original question, why this zone is the problem?

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And of course no actual solutions or even hope of a breakthrough, just BS about how difficult a situation it is, Bristol council couldn't organise a parking space in a multi storey car park, but if you have Colston in your name, just you watch out.

Yes it’s the debate over the name of Colston Hall stops people looking at parking solutions.....

The council can be clueless on many issues but it’s best to show your own idiocy when trying to highlight it.

31 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Doesnt this affect my human right to park within 10 minutes walk of a football ground on a Saturday?  

People will have to walk an extra five minutes?  This is unbelievable!

Well no, its not about people having to walk any further as the non-RPZ is closer to AG.

The point is that if this change to the Southville RPZ is pushed through (which it will be), the 100's of cars that park there now will not be able to. First and foremost, people will then just look to park in the non-RPZ area which will continue to be rammed albeit people will just look to park there earlier. This is why the council now want the club to push through and implement the same RPZ to the Ashton area, effectively meaning there will be no street parking provision anywhere around or within a mile or so of the ground.

That wouldn't be so much of an issue if the council opened up the P&R and seriously sorted out the transportation infrastructure in the city.......neither of which is likely to happen any time soon. This should be a carrot and stick scenario but is clearly a double barrelled stick,stick!

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think the crux of the issue is the fairly sudden, as opposed to gradual imposition of parking zones in Bristol, combined with our sudden spikes in crowd- two years ago it was well below this owing to redevelopment and before then, it wasn't an issue at all.

This is a good point, it’s a combination of factors and not enough has been done to fix it. Are the special First Buses to South Bristol still running?

2 hours ago, no_merde said:

Welcome to Corbyn's Britain!! Utter disgrace.

27 minutes ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Labour mayor in place with Corbyn's backing.

Pretty sure the RPZ was created by George Ferguson and not a Labour politician. 

Fwiw, I'm a lefty Labour girl and I'm very disappointed in Marv's mayorship. He's literally looking for a legacy just like George did. Marv wants the Tube like George has the RPZs and the Metrobus.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Royz @Esmond Million's Bung

Always a leap of faith to believe it is, but if the EP is in fact right, how come this is the norm at many other PL and Championship clubs?

You are asking the wrong question, the question should be 'why are local councils not striving for a solution to something that (especially in our case at present) is a 'success' story, a success story that brings free advertising and high profile to the city, a much needed cash injection to the local economy'.

The statement you have made just enables the stupid bastards (as Tony Robinson called them over their library closure policy) to hide behind other useless councils, instead of finding solutions that has some usefulness to all concerned parties, which is what they should be doing.

3 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Well no, its not about people having to walk any further as the non-RPZ is closer to AG.

The point is that if this change to the Southville RPZ is pushed through (which it will be), the 100's of cars that park there now will not be able to. First and foremost, people will then just look to park in the non-RPZ area which will continue to be rammed albeit people will just look to park there earlier. This is why the council now want the club to push through and implement the same RPZ to the Ashton area, effectively meaning there will be no street parking provision anywhere around or within a mile or so of the ground.

That wouldn't be so much of an issue if the council opened up the P&R and seriously sorted out the transportation infrastructure in the city.......neither of which is likely to happen any time soon. This should be a carrot and stick scenario but is clearly a double barrelled stick,stick!

Agreed, carrot and stick- mixed approach is needed. 

Opening up the P&R is a shorter term quick fix...or should be. Transport infrastructure is woeful and has been (mind you like our attendances, it's a rapidly growing city so not entirely their fault IMO).That would be a medium term project if we're being very optimistic, realistically long term and Bristol realism the 30th of Feb...i.e. never.

9 minutes ago, Redinthehead said:

Yes it’s the debate over the name of Colston Hall stops people looking at parking solutions.....

The council can be clueless on many issues but it’s best to show your own idiocy when trying to highlight it.

It's tongue in cheek, but hey "it’s best to show your own idiocy when trying to highlight it".

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You are asking the wrong question, the question should be 'why are local councils not striving for a solution to something that (especially in our case at present) is a 'success' story, a success story that brings free advertising and high profile to the city, a much needed cash injection to the local economy'.

The statement you have made just enables the stupid bastards (as Tony Robinson called them over their library closure policy) to hide behind other useless councils, instead of finding solutions that has some usefulness to all concerned parties, which is what they should be doing.

Agree on the first point in particular. A family member always said anything that good that happens in Bristol happened despite and not due to the council. I think a short-term solution is to properly open up the P&R for a start. Councils across the country are quite cash-strapped though so I can understand why they would try to get cash from any means possible.

Yeah that's a good point actually, hadn't thought of it like that. I think a solution would be med-long term overall but they can certainly do things to alleviate it, to try to improve it for all parties...this is neither.

A last point on the LA Park and Ride. If as it said in some places, it's a contractual issue then whoever drew it up...well words do fail me.

Might be a naive question but is there any way in which Bristol Sport could buy it and treat it as a long-term investment, for the club?

12 minutes ago, Olé said:

I was just wondering this. The zone in question isn't even next to the ground. On that basis it would seem like NIMBYism of the worst kind. People who live around the ground clearly don't have a problem with presumably the same or higher levels of congestion, but people in Southville side of North Street, do? What is the difference? Only one I can think of is a few more anti-football brigade

Exactly that Rob. The RPZ has simply fuelled the sense of entitlement that the residents of Southville feel towards THEIR roads. The wailing and gnashing of teeth whenever City or Bristol play is unfuckingbelievable, honestly. The Southville, Ashton & Bedminster Information Page on Facebook is great - but come the aftermath of a large crowd in BS3 (or actually - more accurately - ANY City game in particular) the actual tears of anguish from people who didn't realise there was a game is beyond ridiculous. 

They drive me bloody mad. 

Archived