IGNORED

Riyad Mahrez

BS4 on Tour...

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Tbh just because he's rich that doesn't make him immune from getting depressed. He is human after all. 

Being honest if someone is depressed then all the money or all the support in the world won't help at all.

You are correct but his depression is born out of not getting his own way.

10 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Tbh just because he's rich that doesn't make him immune from getting depressed. He is human after all. 

Being honest if someone is depressed then all the money or all the support in the world won't help at all.

"Snowflake".

Only joking. Just wanted to get in there first before one of the regulars popped up.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

If you are earning good money...why do players continually want to go and play for the top 6 sides?

Why not embrace being a very good player, and loving the fact that you are playing for an 'unfancied' team and trying to achieve ( what they did before ).

Growing with the Club and developing together.

It's a bit like being the blonde in the room that you instantly notice...then get bored of when you see all the better looking brunettes.

Or ending up playing for U2 or Coldplay...playing to big audiences, but everyone soon gets bored of you.

Playing in the Champions league...big deal. Try doing it with a 'smaller' Club, not one that can afford to buy their way there.

One of my fears is that if we end up in the Prem, we will end up with players with attitudes like this. Hopefully not.

Does any football fan respect these players?

Maybe in the players head they do...if only they knew. So many living in a bubble.

Really...what Leicester did was a once in a 100 years thing...it will not happen again in our lifetime, he was an integral part of that was the player of the year in this country and got on with his job ever since

he is clearly a top 4 player whether in this country or abroad and maybe just maybe would like to keep on winning big trophies to think he should stay at Leicester is not rationale.

3 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Really...what Leicester did was a once in a 100 years thing...it will not happen again in our lifetime, he was an integral part of that was the player of the year in this country and got on with his job ever since

he is clearly a top 4 player whether in this country or abroad and maybe just maybe would like to keep on winning big trophies to think he should stay at Leicester is not rationale.

I think you've missed my point....

Where's the challenge in playing for a top 4 side, when you are surrounded by talent and money? All of a sudden you are a small fish in a small pond.

Everyone is pretty much the same as you. You're basically a glory hunter. A bit like a Bristolian following Chelsea. You end up going to a big club as it will pay more and you have better players around you. It makes it so much easier. Nothing great about that.

How refreshing it would be to see more players like lets say Matt LeTissier who kept with one side and tried to make it work, was happy with his lot, even though he could have filled his boots elsewhere.

The only reason the big 6 are so big, is because players keep going to them.

Stop the flow and make someone else big.

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So you just guessed it was fake....you don’t know....I didn’t say it was real by the way, I just asked you how you knew it was fake...and you just guessed it was!

Remember this beauty?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/gary-neville-quote-the-valencia-manager-didnt-say-those-things-on-barcelona-a6853001.html?amp

It was an educated guess due to the sheer amount of these fake quotes that appear on twitter

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He’s apparently missed two training sessions whilst sulking because he wasn’t sold to Man City in January.....he’s also apparently told the club the whole ‘ordeal’ has made him ‘depressed.’

I think that’s an insult to people who are completely taken down by depression. If, however, Mahrez has been diagnosed with clinical depression then I apologise. I’ve seen first hand what a crippling disease it really is.

Mahrez signed a four year contract at Leicester not long ago so how dare he effectively go on strike because Leicester had the temerity to turn down a bid that was way below his market value?

He’s in breach of his contract and I know Leicester will probably not take any action - but why shouldn’t they? Mahrez’s teammates are apparently livid at his current attitude and it’s causing trouble in the ranks.

Leicester obviously didn’t check out his ‘DNA’ before signing him!

Have I missed something here or has the lad been in a strop for the past 3 years? Perhaps there is a story here but also, perhaps not.

Well guys it was apparently Leicester that approached us with a daft offer of player plus cash, Citeh seen this as a chance to maybe barter with them however it didn't play out. I think we will sign him in the summer personally. 

Football is going insane the prem has that much money every club has no need to sell and can demand crazy money. Barca buying Countinho for that amount was madness imagine what De Bruyne is worth to a team in this current market.

Regarding Mahrez being depressed, you can't have a go at him for it he is a professional and has just been denied the chance to try and win 4 trophies. Plus it is a media story and they will want to make up as much shite about him as possible now for some easy clicks. 

15 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He’s apparently missed two training sessions whilst sulking because he wasn’t sold to Man City in January.....he’s also apparently told the club the whole ‘ordeal’ has made him ‘depressed.’

I think that’s an insult to people who are completely taken down by depression. If, however, Mahrez has been diagnosed with clinical depression then I apologise. I’ve seen first hand what a crippling disease it really is.

Mahrez signed a four year contract at Leicester not long ago so how dare he effectively go on strike because Leicester had the temerity to turn down a bid that was way below his market value?

He’s in breach of his contract and I know Leicester will probably not take any action - but why shouldn’t they? Mahrez’s teammates are apparently livid at his current attitude and it’s causing trouble in the ranks.

Leicester obviously didn’t check out his ‘DNA’ before signing him!

This is the thing that really grates people i think, the contract he has just signed has surely set him up for life - at the end of the day he's an asset that they don't want to lose and would be difficult to replace at a club like Leicester even as ex champions

I say at least attempt to honour your contract and have a word with yourself young man 

Dunno his circumstances, but as someone whos been on medication for clinical depression for over 10 yrs I can assure you it is life changing and terrible, you can't snap out of it, you can't pull yourself together and you can't beat it on your own, i've tried and i'm trying. It creeps up on you and it will strangle you if you're not careful.  There is being pissed off, upset, annoyed and then there is clinical depression and crippling anxiety. My Mum took her own life and so did my Aunt because of mental illness, there is a long history of it in my family unfortunately, but it can be beaten, you just need the right support.  

15 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Entirely disagree, thought 65m was well above his value. Coutinho went for 120m (+ add ons) and that was too much for him too but it's the price Barcelona were willing to pay. You can't really compare their prices.

Mahrez is an excellent player for sure but not sure that Man City even need him so why would they pay above the odds for a player when they already have players in that position, in form?

Teams still in European competitions ( in January) have to pay over the odds for players who aren’t ‘European’ cup tied.

Mahrez fitted that situation. That’s obviously why Leicester felt Man City would pay the extras.

14 hours ago, Super said:

Piss poor from Leicester especially as they promised he could leave and they have let other players join big clubs. 

no it isn't he committed to 4 years at Leicester he wants to move that badly he can pay the 30 odd million to buy out the rest of his contract it was an option to him but he wouldn't do that as it costs money, he isn't after trophys he's after money and proven that by going on strike

16 hours ago, The Bard said:

Man City have got a cheek when they're willing to pay £50 million + for some bloke from Bilbao who's never done anything in the game.  Mahrez has won the EPL and player of the year.  He's 26, plays in a midfield 4 for a decent EPL side scoring 1 goal every 3 games.  No one in the Prem gets near that really except for de Bruyne, Hazard, Silva. 

If Coutinho is worth £140 million then Mahrez is worth at least £100 million. 

I reckon Pep will know enough about the guy to think he’s worth spending £50m on!! And by the end of the season he’ll have enough medals in his back pocket not to worry about your assessment of him.

As for Mahrez I wonder whether Leicester will regret this long term in a similar but much higher value way to our situation with Nicky Maynard. Will they ever get a better offer for him? The players reaction to this may well ensure they won’t?

On 01/02/2018 at 22:22, spudski said:

I think you've missed my point....

Where's the challenge in playing for a top 4 side, when you are surrounded by talent and money? All of a sudden you are a small fish in a small pond.

Everyone is pretty much the same as you. You're basically a glory hunter. A bit like a Bristolian following Chelsea. You end up going to a big club as it will pay more and you have better players around you. It makes it so much easier. Nothing great about that.

How refreshing it would be to see more players like lets say Matt LeTissier who kept with one side and tried to make it work, was happy with his lot, even though he could have filled his boots elsewhere.

The only reason the big 6 are so big, is because players keep going to them.

Stop the flow and make someone else big.

A load of romantic rubbish I’m afraid. Matt Le Tissier was a total one off and his motivations for staying at Southampton are entirely his, but this is not the 70’s or 80’s anymore where the money was more evenly distributed and clubs like forest and derby could compete with the big boys.

While I loved Leicester’s title victory again it is unlikely to be repeated again and your suggestion just won’t happen.

interested to hear Rooney say tonight that Kane possibly has one or two years left at spurs before he starts thinking about trophies. The 7 or 8 elite clubs in the continent will keep getting bigger, and the top 6 clubs in England will do likewise and will continue to swallow up the best talent, because they have the financial power and the ability to win trophies.

This has nothing to do with depression and everything to do with petulant greed. He knows the figures quoted and the deal on offer was short-term as cover for Sane. It won't come back in the summer given he's shown his true colours.

Interesting to compare to Basso in our 'season that wasn't to be' who you'll recall was offered a crack at the Premier payday but who heeded our plea to stay, with our blessing to leave as and when we failed. That by the time we trudged off at Wembley his suitors already relegated, offers withdrawn and his big payday down the Swannee, the kid seriously did lose the plot from which, in playing terms, he never recovered.

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

A load of romantic rubbish I’m afraid. Matt Le Tissier was a total one off and his motivations for staying at Southampton are entirely his, but this is not the 70’s or 80’s anymore where the money was more evenly distributed and clubs like forest and derby could compete with the big boys.

While I loved Leicester’s title victory again it is unlikely to be repeated again and your suggestion just won’t happen.

interested to hear Rooney say tonight that Kane possibly has one or two years left at spurs before he starts thinking about trophies. The 7 or 8 elite clubs in the continent will keep getting bigger, and the top 6 clubs in England will do likewise and will continue to swallow up the best talent, because they have the financial power and the ability to win trophies.

I totally disagree...It shows a lack of desire by a player. What it does show is that they will follow the money. And can put on their 'CV' that they played for a big club.

If you want to start most games...and play for one of the top 6 teams, then that's only 66 starting places. Which gets even smaller depending on what position you play.

Great...'I play for Chelsea....but spend many a game as a squad player or sat on the bench'.

The only way other Clubs will get nearer the top 6 is if players stick with their clubs and build together.

And the gap is getting smaller each year...not with Man City this season, but Burnley have only lost 2 more games than Arsenal. Not bad going considering.

You may call it 'Romantic'...I call it sensible.

Unfortunately some footballers live in a bubble, with a misguided perception, driven by agents.

It's the agents driving the moves, to get the big percentages. Plenty of money to go round in the Prem...some are just plain greedy.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I totally disagree...It shows a lack of desire by a player. What it does show is that they will follow the money. And can put on their 'CV' that they played for a big club.

If you want to start most games...and play for one of the top 6 teams, then that's only 66 starting places. Which gets even smaller depending on what position you play.

Great...'I play for Chelsea....but spend many a game as a squad player or sat on the bench'.

The only way other Clubs will get nearer the top 6 is if players stick with their clubs and build together.

And the gap is getting smaller each year...not with Man City this season, but Burnley have only lost 2 more games than Arsenal. Not bad going considering.

You may call it 'Romantic'...I call it sensible.

Unfortunately some footballers live in a bubble, with a misguided perception, driven by agents.

It's the agents driving the moves, to get the big percentages. Plenty of money to go round in the Prem...some are just plain greedy.

I think it also partly comes down to background. 

Look at the number of Brazilian players like Hulk and Ramires (who are both top players) happy to spend some of their best years in China. For footballers who’s background is genuine poverty, money will supersede legacy.

I’m unsure of Mahrez’ specific background but being French-Algerian it’s not unrealistic to suggest he comes from pretty humble beginnings. That extra 100k per week would make a huge difference to his extended family and I can see why it would be tempting.

Jonathan Kodjia was similar actually, he appears to provide for his extended French-Ivorian family and comes from a poor suburb of Paris.

I think for footballers from more affluent backgrounds, legacy and relative success will be a bigger motivation because they can afford for it to be. Perhaps those from poor backgrounds will always chase the money as there is many people depending on them to provide.

Archived