IGNORED

The official Bolton Wanderers FC v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Unan

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Aguero wouldn't have scored tonight with the service provided it was shocking.

Maybe not...but the front players also have to do more.

Too many long balls in to the box because that was the only option...not enough movement from the front 2, no midfield runners trying to get past their defence plus the wingers kept coming inside rather than stretch them.

We need to do more to drag their players out of position rather than just lump balls up and hope it sticks

1 minute ago, WECANDO said:

Did Bakers stupid tackle and sending off cost us tonight. So the Magnússon bashers. Who would you rather have, him or the lacklustre Bryan. So much was wrong tonight against a weak Bolton side. Couldn’t pass the bloody ball 10 foot. To many aimless passes. To many tippy tally passes. Lanky git for Bolton wasn’t tackled at all. Get f ing stuck into him. Oh for a Gerry Gow or Norman Hunter. When we got the ball in their penalty area few attacked it and waited for someone else to do something. Grrr!

Modern football is squad game and LJ used his poorly tonight and again as for the Magnússon bashers they never picked the team.

4 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Danny Murphy who wasn’t a bad player has always said no team wants it more than another team because all footballers want to win,the only time you won’t want it more maybe is when your playing for a manager you don’t believe in.and we know that’s not the case here @RedSA

Well, if Danny Murphy said it...

anyway, don’t really wanna argue over it. Fair enough if you feel that way, just have to agree to disagree. 

3 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

We just didn't look like compact tonight, or in control of all our 'zones'. Too many lost 50/50's, and yes that was partly due to Smith not being in the middle all game.

Diedhiou seemed to get bossed a bit tonight, and we really bloody struggle when we're playing a team who's back line refuses to move above the 18 yard box for most of the game. 

You make it sound like they parked the bus, but their tactics were spot-on. If Clough had scored his sitter, they'd have got a comfortable 2-0

5 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Tippy tappy but we don't score enough because we don't create enough. A bit like GJ side. Work rate. 

Yeah, tonight was awful, but that is just bollocks.

On average we score 1.45 goals per game so far this season with an average of 1.15 scored against us. That works out as us scoring approximately 20% more than the opposition so far this season.

Yes, we have a good work rate throughout the side (don't know the exact stats) but so do Man City and Tottenham. Probably the best two sides in England at the moment.

I don't understand the point you're making as nobody can deny we have worked hard as a team to regain possesion all season. Tonight was an anomaly. 

Maybe the players decided that if the club wouldn't spend millions on (ahem) experienced players they wouldn't put the effort in. That'll learn em.

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

You make it sound like they parked the bus, but their tactics were spot-on. If Clough had scored his sitter, they'd have got a comfortable 2-0

They were very deep, but compact and organised. That Clough chance came from us being all over the place due to chasing an equaliser . 

6 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

We just didn't look like compact tonight, or in control of all our 'zones'. Too many lost 50/50's, and yes that was partly due to Smith not being in the middle all game.

Diedhiou seemed to get bossed a bit tonight, and we really bloody struggle when we're playing a team who's back line refuses to move above the 18 yard box for most of the game. 

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think you’re both right. They could’ve have had a comfortable 2-0 but they did also pretty much camp their back line on the 18 yd box. 

1 minute ago, RedSA said:

Well, if Danny Murphy said it...

anyway, don’t really wanna argue over it. Fair enough if you feel that way, just have to agree to disagree. 

What did you expect lee to say,he wasn’t going to say we were horse muck and dig players out,they wanted it more is as common as they parked the bus nowadays. As you say let’s not argue you about it because I’m right :whistle:

1 minute ago, WestonRobin said:

Maybe not...but the front players also have to do more.

Too many long balls in to the box because that was the only option...not enough movement from the front 2, no midfield runners trying to get past their defence plus the wingers kept coming inside rather than stretch them.

We need to do more to drag their players out of position rather than just lump balls up and hope it sticks

If you ignore your first sentence and just read the other two sentences, you have your answer, if they are being force fed long balls then all the movement in the world won't help you as a striker, because of the highlighted portion, the one time that we did get a decent cross into Diedhiou he brought the best save of the night out of their keeper.

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

And if we would of got the penalties?? Ifs and buts.... 1 nil Bolton was totally the right result though. I think we have a bit of soul searching to do in the next week. I thought our performance was hideous tonight and I thought the attitude wasn’t right which worries me most. Maybe some of our players think they are better than they are??

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

What did you expect lee to say,he wasn’t going to say we were horse muck and dig players out,they wanted it more is as common as they parked the bus nowadays. As you say let’s not argue you about it because I’m right :whistle:

I’m not saying they literally wanted the win more than us. More that they wanted to battle for the win more than us. We looked complacent, expecting that we would win.

But it doesn’t matter cus you’re right anyway :)

27 minutes ago, WWred said:

All this talk about set pieces as well - I mean whenever we’re on TV the commentators will forever go on about how much of a threat we are. Now on paper I get it, but in reality.. are we? 

No we aren’t, and I think you agree. I mentioned on here a couple of weeks ago about our fascination with long throws, and the fact that we get an end product from them about once in eve4y 20 games.

Our set pieces tonight were awful, and that is becomie the norm.

We had a clear lack of movement off the ball tonight, this led to static players wanting the ball to feet, this led to Bolton’s players reading literally every forward pass we played. 

Thats where there extra strength in the 50 50’s counted. 

We need to get back to passing and most importantly ‘moving’ off the ball, we didn’t do that tonight.

Imo Bobby Reid was our sole real threat tonight, he constantly got into areas and space where he wanted the ball, but a combination of sluggish passing, holding on to the ball far too long ( Kent especially) stopped us utilising him.

1 minute ago, milo1111 said:

And if we would of got the penalties?? Ifs and buts.... 1 nil Bolton was totally the right result though. I think we have a bit of soul searching to do in the next week. I thought our performance was hideous tonight and I thought the attitude wasn’t right which worries me most. Maybe some of our players think they are better than they are??

What worries me is that we had our 'blip' after Christmas, and most of us thought we we'd got over it with the QPR win.

Signing new players is all very well if you have a rubbish team that needs reinforcing, but when you already have a good and super close-knit group who would die for each other, it just seems to upset the rhythm.

2 minutes ago, RedSA said:

I’m not saying they wanted the win more than us. More that they wanted to battle for the win more than us. We looked complacent, expecting that we would win.

But it doesn’t matter cus you’re right anyway :)

So you are saying our players think they are Bertie big bollox now they have took Man City close in 2 games and just expect to turn up and win. :P

IMO we are desperate for a play maker in midfield. Too many “hopeful” balls. Shame after a good Cup run, but we are being found out in midfield. This was not the 1st time tonight.

But we need too be positive as the run in is now here. Fingers crossed. We just need that cutting edge that teams like Wolves have. Costs ££££ unfortunately.

8 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

So you are saying our players think they are Bertie big bollox now they have took Man City close in 2 games and just expect to turn up and win. :P

Not sure the reason why, just how it looked to me. I’m sure all the players went into the game ‘wanting’ to win but complacency can creep in due to many factors. Playing well against Man C and all the plaudits, beating a team 5/6 places above Bolton the week before when we only had 10 men, Bolton being in the relegation zone, even a lot of the players performing well in training all week so assuming they’ll just out football the opposition. These are all factors that could contribute to complacency and thus lead to defeat against a team who are totally focussed and know they’ve got to be at their best. 

22 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

If you ignore your first sentence and just read the other two sentences, you have your answer, if they are being force fed long balls then all the movement in the world won't help you as a striker, because of the highlighted portion, the one time that we did get a decent cross into Diedhiou he brought the best save of the night out of their keeper.

Not quite as simple as that - movement from the strikers provide the midfield with space to run in to. 

Maintaining our width would have been good too - as you say, the best chance was created from a good cross from a wide position. The amount of times Pato and Kent kept coming back inside in to a packed area was incredible...get past the man and get the defenders facing their goal.

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

No we aren’t, and I think you agree. I mentioned on here a couple of weeks ago about our fascination with long throws, and the fact that we get an end product from them about once in eve4y 20 games.

Our set pieces tonight were awful, and that is becomie the norm.

We had a clear lack of movement off the ball tonight, this led to static players wanting the ball to feet, this led to Bolton’s players reading literally every forward pass we played. 

Thats where there extra strength in the 50 50’s counted. 

We need to get back to passing and most importantly ‘moving’ off the ball, we didn’t do that tonight.

Imo Bobby Reid was our sole real threat tonight, he constantly got into areas and space where he wanted the ball, but a combination of sluggish passing, holding on to the ball far too long ( Kent especially) stopped us utilising him.

I pretty much agree with most of that apart from the Kent bit. 

I honestly thought he was our biggest threat in the first half. The only player that was driving forward with intent. The rest of the team seemed content to pass it 5 yards and think their job was done.

We have looked good for the majority of the season as we have passed and moved, created overlaps, and worked harder without the ball than we do with the ball. Tonight we saw none of that and regressed to a team that expects everything but wasn't willing to work for it.

2 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

Not quite as simple as that - movement from the strikers provide the midfield with space to run in to. 

Maintaining our width would have been good too - as you say, the best chance was created from a good cross from a wide position. The amount if time Pato and Kent kept coming back inside in to a packed area was incredible...get past the man and get the defenders facing their goal.

You said "no midfield runners", the strikers could provide all the space in the world but if said midfielders are not running, it wouldn't matter, you can't have it both ways.

I thought the strikers did ok with the shocking delivery that they were faced with.

I totally agree with you about Kent and Patterson, however it must have been a tactic that LJ asked them to employ, given that it was happening so often, if it wasn't then it would have been easy to have gotten messages to them to stay wide.

The failure tonight was the manager/coach as far as i'm concerned.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You said "no midfield runners", the strikers could provide all the space in the world but if said midfielders are not running, it wouldn't matter, you can't have it both ways.

I thought the strikers did ok with the shocking delivery that they were faced with.

I totally agree with you about Kent and Patterson, however it must have been a tactic that LJ asked them to employ, given that it was happening so often, if it wasn't then it would have been easy to have gotten messages to them to stay wide.

The failure tonight was the manager/coach as far as i'm concerned.

Not disagreeing with the tactics, especially regarding the wingers.

Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree with the other point though - understand the point you make - in my opinion, midfielders wont play the quick 1-2 and move forward to try and get past their defence if there is no space to run in to. And our strikers weren’t helping create the space...I believe it’s all linked. As the opportunity wasn’t there for them they do what they did all night and stop, go sideways or backwards. 

21 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Not sure the reason why, just how it looked to me. I’m sure all the players went into the game ‘wanting’ to win but complacency can creep in due to many factors. Playing well against Man C and all the plaudits, beating a team 5/6 places above Bolton the week before when we only had 10 men, Bolton being in the relegation zone, even a lot of the players performing well in training all week so assuming they’ll just out football the opposition. These are all factors that could contribute to complacency and thus lead to defeat against a team who are totally focussed and know they’ve got to be at their best. 

A good manager would never allow that to happen tho,so for Johnson to come out with the sound bite that they wanted it more doesn’t wash with me.It was just a bad day at the office and we have to except it.Not saying he isn’t a good manager by the way

I think that the denial of the penalty in the first 10 minutes showed the Bolton players that they could do as they wanted and they duly did without any punishment forthcoming until the end of the match. The reaction of our players whilst being inexcusable, (standby for contradiction), must have some been affected by this management of the game. Joe's tackle appeared worse than Baker's last week though he just got a booking. Josh's seemed similar to alot of their fouls, he got booked - they didn't. Aden's face said everything! The referee's report will make interesting reading - "A quiet match, nothing to report!" :whistle:

Archived