IGNORED

Diony

AshtonGreat

42 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm not a scout, so I won't name names, but there had to be someone with a bit of form and experience

We've got a striker who went for £9m last year, he's played in a system that didn't suit him so we have him for a few months. If we were looking in this country what experienced player would be available on loan , who isn't already on loan and not in a first team ? Rare as rocking horse shit. I did wonder if Tammy might have been recalled during the window but apart from him, not many stand outs.

Why do all the happy clappers on here go wild when somebody raises a fairly valid point that goes against the grain of LJ and the club.. Look nobody is slating Diony but the fact is he is unproven in this country and out of form seemingly if you look at his record this season in Ligue 1. A fairly fair assessment especially when clubs around us have brought in recognised goal scorer's at this level. He could be the answer and i hope he is but you have got to say the OP has every right to say what he said IMO.

21 minutes ago, stokes7 said:

Nowt wrong with David rennie either but when you start on Tony dinning let me know

That pretty much sums up my point. 

Rennie used to get loads of grief but once he left us he went on to have a decent career at the highest level. 

He was obviously a good player but if certain 'fans' turn against you its very hard to win them over.

Cole Skuse is a relatively recent example. I would say Bas Savage too but he really was utterly shit.

3 hours ago, bris red said:

Why do all the happy clappers on here go wild when somebody raises a fairly valid point that goes against the grain of LJ and the club.. Look nobody is slating Diony but the fact is he is unproven in this country and out of form seemingly if you look at his record this season in Ligue 1. A fairly fair assessment especially when clubs around us have brought in recognised goal scorer's at this level. He could be the answer and i hope he is but you have got to say the OP has every right to say what he said IMO.

Because, tonight on here and on the FB group every single player is now suddenly shite and have recieved a bag full of abuse because of the loss tonight. One minute Joe Bryan is the best LB we have ever had and now suddenly we should have sold him because he is shite. 

Even the top players in the world can't put in a performance each game yet for some reason at Bristol City we expect our players to put in 10s every game? Sorry but it's just not realistic. 

Early doors and too little seen of him yet but clearly his main asset, God's gift to a striker, is pace. Therein we might have a problem.

Possession football, knocking it around from the back, is great provided one can mix it up now and again and that's where we struggle. Our midfield boy do like to over-elaborate in the centre of the park, neat triangles but too often slow, laterals and backwards. Other than Pack, who though the slowest of the slow and mostly more lateral than Butch Wilkins but who does have the ability to get the telling pass through, we really don't have great vision through the middle (perhaps that should be vision but not the technical ability.) When passing and to get it to the opponents box takes ages, by which time the opposition's regrouped. Hence the increasing number of frustrated hoofs upfield.

Diony looks the type of player who needs quick ball down the channels and in front of him to run onto and that's not the game we're playing at present.

8 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Anyone else think it was a big gamble for a team badly in need of goals for a strong promotion push to bring in a striker who's unproven in this league and out of form? I hope he turns out to be great, but I wonder if we should've gone for a safer bet...

I don't know how you can possibly write-off Diony based on two 15 minute sub appearances and the fact that his big money move to St.Ettiene didn't work out.

Last night I don't think he received a single pass!

Let's see what he is like when given proper game time.

8 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I don't know how you can possibly write-off Diony based on two 15 minute sub appearances and the fact that his big money move to St.Ettiene didn't work out.

Last night I don't think he received a single pass!

Let's see what he is like when given proper game time.

In fairness he’s not commenting on the ability of the player, which would be stupid. He’s making a wider point about transfers which is a valid one.

I think we might see Diony start next game.

Tbf, we didn't lose the game through a lack of firepower. With Fam back, Reid, Flint, Bryan, Pato and Djuric on the way back, I think we have enough to stay in the top 6.

We lost that game (I believe)  because we missed Koreys physicality in midfield. Bailey looked out of sorts at centre back, and Bryan literally looked like he was playing a training game. Pack was out muscled and looked slow, Brownhill was dominated, and Pato had one of his all too regular off days. 

A few of those point above Lee has to take responsibility for. 

12 hours ago, WestonRobin said:

Not sure it’s fair to judge the player on two cameo appearances.

Firstly, I don’t believe his style suits the lone striker, which is what he was asked to do in the first game.

Secondly,  coming from the French League I doubt he has played against a team as physical as Bolton.

Not sure how much he has played, so his fitness and sharpness may not be there just yet

Give him time to get used to the English game - I think he may be quite good

One of the reasons he flopped at St Etienne was that he was played as a lone striker.

At Dijon, where he was terrific , he played in a front two.

10 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

That pretty much sums up my point. 

Rennie used to get loads of grief but once he left us he went on to have a decent career at the highest level. 

He was obviously a good player but if certain 'fans' turn against you its very hard to win them over.

Cole Skuse is a relatively recent example. I would say Bas Savage too but he really was utterly shit.

Nothing wrong with Bas!

ive never laughed so hard, for so long, when he ‘dived’ through one on one versus Yeovil!

:yes:

11 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Nothing wrong with Bas!

ive never laughed so hard, for so long, when he ‘dived’ through one on one versus Yeovil!

:yes:

possibly the funniest thing seen at the gate ever, bet he wished the ground would have opened up and swallowed him.

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No signing is guaranteed, who would’ve been a safer bet?

With the emphasis on the word "safer" rather than "guaranteed"- how about Madine?

Player currently in form, right age, has played at this level, and cheaper.

Time will tell.

Seriously hope Diony turns out to be the star we all want him to be.

49 minutes ago, pillred said:

possibly the funniest thing seen at the gate ever, bet he wished the ground would have opened up and swallowed him.

Definitely. I dont think ive ever looked around the ground and seen so many people completely wetting themselves over something at the same time. 

12 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

He also played, consistently, at the highest level before he ever came to us. If anything it was our moaners who set his career back.

T'was ever thus: space filler Tainton could do no wrong (albeit an unspectacular role that needed doing,) Cormack getting endless grief for giving the ball away from those oblivious to the fact he'd created the only goalscoring chances for us all game.

Archived