IGNORED

Blame game

windmillhillred

So far there have been posts blaming Steele, Wright, Bryan, Pack, Kent, Paterson, Diony, Diedhiou, Magnússon and Johnson (and maybe more) for tonight. A blatant case of people scapegoating their least favourite player or taking part in that classic City game of immediately rubbishing a new player. 

We lost a dull game against a side in a good run of form battling for their lives who defended exceptionally well. It happens.

We're 5th in a league full of massive clubs, with a team that works for each other while generally playing great football, one of the brightest young coaches in the country, playing in a great stadium with a local owner who loves the club. This is a good time to be a City fan. Yes, tonight was hugely frustrating but the performance of some of our fans on here is much worse than anything we saw on the pitch tonight.

7 minutes ago, windmillhillred said:

So far there have been posts blaming Steele, Wright, Bryan, Pack, Kent, Paterson, Diony, Diedhiou, Magnússon and Johnson (and maybe more) for tonight. A blatant case of people scapegoating their least favourite player or taking part in that classic City game of immediately rubbishing a new player. 

We lost a dull game against a side in a good run of form battling for their lives who defended exceptionally well. It happens.

We're 5th in a league full of massive clubs, with a team that works for each other while generally playing great football, one of the brightest young coaches in the country, playing in a great stadium with a local owner who loves the club. This is a good time to be a City fan. Yes, tonight was hugely frustrating but the performance of some of our fans on here is much worse than anything we saw on the pitch tonight.

Agree. Can't expect to win every game and as LJ indicated the players thought all they had to do was turn up and the game was ours. Doesn't work like that!

7 minutes ago, windmillhillred said:

Good post. I pee’d off tonight though, reason being that i feel our league performances have dropped right off from where they were pre Xmas and it frustrates me as the players aren’t doing themselves justice currently .

23 minutes ago, windmillhillred said:

Nice post.

1 minute ago, Benni said:

It has to be Magnússon, he was on the pitch when we conceded so it's an easy one.

You’re on the wrong thread Benni.  Don’t add to it on this one :P

31 minutes ago, Benni said:

It has to be Magnússon, he was on the pitch when we conceded so it's an easy one.

Well if Magnússon hadn’t made mistakes in the past he would have started tonight. Then Joe wouldn’t have made the foul early on to get his yellow allowing him to go into that tackle with more gusto. So in a weird way it is his fault ;) think him not playing comtributed to the poor performance. I would have either gone 3 at the back or straight swapped. Either way he would have played for me and kept Korey central. Good player just struggles with the physicality and pace of championship football at times like many before him. 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Well if Magnússon hadn’t made mistakes in the past he would have started tonight. Then Joe wouldn’t have made the foul early on to get his yellow allowing him to go into that tackle with more gusto. So in a weird way it is his fault ;) think him not playing comtributed to the poor performance. I would have either gone 3 at the back or straight swapped. Either way he would have played for me and kept Korey central. Good player just struggles with the physicality and pace of championship football at times like many before him. 

Probably the most overused and overrated phrase on here. 

Probably the most overused and overrated phrase on here. 

Better than saying he isn’t good enough. None of our other defenders seem to struggle in a one on one battle. None of the others seem so panicky when closed down. Other parts of his game are ok. So maybe it is overused but possibly because it is true. Evidence of it tonight. Can recall a couple simple clearances with slight pressure that phased him into kicking it back to the nearest Bolton player. Needs more strength and more composure. Gets that he is a top player.  

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Better than saying he isn’t good enough. None of our other defenders seem to struggle in a one on one battle. None of the others seem so panicky when closed down. Other parts of his game are ok. So maybe it is overused but possibly because it is true. Evidence of it tonight. Can recall a couple simple clearances with slight pressure that phased him into kicking it back to the nearest Bolton player. Needs more strength and more composure. Gets that he is a top player.  

That's just ridiculous to say. Do you honestly believe that? 

3 minutes ago, Benni said:

That's just ridiculous to say. Do you honestly believe that? 

I rarely see Joe Bryan, Aden Flint, Nathan Baker or Bailey Wright pushed off the ball. They are all strong and composed. Watch them usher a ball out of play with a man pinned to their back. They succeed 99% of the time if not more. They make the right decision 99% of the time. I like Mags but there is a reason he was out of favour so long and ge had a chance to stake a claim in the team. The answer to whether he did or not was answered when our preferred LCB is out suspended we moved our makeshift RB central and a midfielder to RB. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I rarely see Joe Bryan, Aden Flint, Nathan Baker or Bailey Wright pushed off the ball. They are all strong and composed. Watch them usher a ball out of play with a man pinned to their back. They succeed 99% of the time if not more. They make the right decision 99% of the time. I like Mags but there is a reason he was out of favour so long and ge had a chance to stake a claim in the team. The answer to whether he did or not was answered when our preferred LCB is out suspended we moved our makeshift RB central and a midfielder to RB. 

So you see it happening to them, but it doesn't count? Or is Hörður always pushed off the ball? Sorry, I just don't understand. 

So you see it happening to them, but it doesn't count? Or is Hörður always pushed off the ball? Sorry, I just don't understand. 

I’d say Hörður makes mistakes more often. Even the recent mistake against Man City was one I have seen him make multiple times before. A CB especially when he gets a bit of pressure he tends to panic and give possesion back with a poor clearance. The others do make mistakes but as I have said they are rare. They will do the right thing 99% of the time. Hörður will do the right thing 97% of the time. When held to the standard of those around him, it will be easy for people to place blame on him. 

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’d say Hörður makes mistakes more often. Even the recent mistake against Man City was one I have seen him make multiple times before. A CB especially when he gets a bit of pressure he tends to panic and give possesion back with a poor clearance. The others do make mistakes but as I have said they are rare. They will do the right thing 99% of the time. Hörður will do the right thing 97% of the time. When held to the standard of those around him, it will be easy for people to place blame on him. 

OK it's good to know, thanks for enlightening me. I'm very happy and graceful for that. I'll speak to him. 

OK it's good to know, thanks for enlightening me. I'm very happy and graceful for that. I'll speak to him. 

I don’t know about enlightenment. I have given you my opinion based on what I see. You clearly see different but isn’t that the point of the forum? 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t know about enlightenment. I have given you my opinion based on what I see. You clearly see different but isn’t that the point of the forum? 

That's exactly the point of the forum. I just feel much better to know this. Thanks. 

9 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Both Flint and Wright weren’t able to outmuscle Tyler Walker last night.  He’s quite a lightweight striker (in Champ terms), but neither imposed themselves on him.

In fairness Wright is rarely outmuscled....I love the way he pressurises his opponent....it’s almost like he’s in their shorts.

Flint on the other hand isn’t anywhere near as physical as people make out.  He is confident in the air (hardly surprising) but on the deck he fears getting too tight and being spun.  A natural dilemma for a big man.  I will say he has massively improved in this area, because alongside Baker, Baker’s superior positioning means he provides the cover and confidence to allow Flint to get tight.

Much as I rate both Flint and Wright, I don’t think they are a Natural pairing, sone of that is that Flint can only play RCB and Wright is a tad uncomfortable at LCB.  It’s not about being both right footed, although that doesn’t help.

I’m over critical of our CBs....it’s my position.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Both Flint and Wright weren’t able to outmuscle Tyler Walker last night.  He’s quite a lightweight striker (in Champ terms), but neither imposed themselves on him.

In fairness Wright is rarely outmuscled....I love the way he pressurises his opponent....it’s almost like he’s in their shorts.

Flint on the other hand isn’t anywhere near as physical as people make out.  He is confident in the air (hardly surprising) but on the deck he fears getting too tight and being spun.  A natural dilemma for a big man.  I will say he has massively improved in this area, because alongside Baker, Baker’s superior positioning means he provides the cover and confidence to allow Flint to get tight.

Much as I rate both Flint and Wright, I don’t think they are a Natural pairing, sone of that is that Flint can only play RCB and Wright is a tad uncomfortable at LCB.  It’s not about being both right footed, although that doesn’t help.

I’m over critical of our CBs....it’s my position.

Only so much you can do when a player backs in to you though. You can’t push forward for fear of a foul. I was more on about holding off an attacker trying to nip in and win the ball back. Plus I think Walker is stronger than you think. He played on the wing against us earlier this year and he is not small. Good 6 foot and strong lower body strength with upper body catching up I would think. 

I am with you about the pairing of Flint and Wright. It is why I would take the money for Flint when it comes. Think Baker allows him to play to his strengths. With a Baker and Wright pairing I don’t think either need as much covering but both will be there if a mistake is made. Both get tight to the backs of attackers and make life uncomfortable. 

13 hours ago, windmillhillred said:

Exactly.  Last week it was Maggers who should be dangled from the Suspension Bridge by his bollycocks and now this week it is Joe Bryan (who, last week by contrast had golden bollycocks to be preserved and rubbed only by true fans). In this league we will win some but we will lose some.  I mentioned a while ago that we tonked Huddersfield 4-0 last season .................. where are they now.

Upwards and Onwards

13 hours ago, windmillhillred said:

Agree with this to an extent. However I think the manor of the defeat was the problem. Your gna lose games especially against teams trying to stay up but losing due to the fact the other team wants it more just isn't good enough imo

Beryl Fudge has the unique record in Bristol City history of being the only person to never be blamed for anything.

Buster Footman used to jointly share the record but I believe he was partly at fault for Brentford away last season.

Archived