IGNORED

Dubai - well earned break?

peanut

18 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It’s not a one off day, it’s a decline since the Man U game, culminating in a very poor performance last night.  Of course it can turn round, but we are on the slide at the moment, bottom 3 of the form table.

Or an average sized squad decimated with injury and more games than anyone else in the country finally tiring. Last night was a poor performance. Not too many of those this season. Bolton, Leeds, and Villa and that is probably it. Another week off and hopefully away from football for at least the weekend. 

5 minutes ago, Malago said:

Might partly explain last night’s performance.  Minds elsewhere?

I honestly don't think they are going on a jolly!

In my opinion last night was, to a large extent, down to a belief amongst the players that they only had to turn up and they would get the points - some on here thought the same before KO.

Things have not been great recently, let's hope that this trip refocuses and refreshes the group.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Or an average sized squad decimated with injury and more games than anyone else in the country finally tiring. Last night was a poor performance. Not too many of those this season. Bolton, Leeds, and Villa and that is probably it. Another week off and hopefully away from football for at least the weekend. 

It’s still a worrying decline, whatever the cause.

19 minutes ago, Chivs said:

To be clear, you don't want an over reaction but a little part of you has died and you mention "mass slavery".  :blink:

I meant I didn't want an over-reaction to the Dubai trip as a result of last night's match - which was a response to the OP's comment..

After that I gave my own view, and for different reasons, personally speaking I'll always find the choice of Dubai incredibly depressing.

Yes mass slavery, bonded labour, work houses. For various reasons I was put onto the detail a few years back, and looked into it a lot.  

Since then I've continually put money into this, as I find it despicable that it is happening in the 21st century and no one says anything.

The Qatar WC is similarly obscene, but as we all well know in football money talks. There is no level of depravity FIFA won't engage in.

I obviously don't seriously expect the club to know anything about it, nor do I expect others to be well informed, but I am so I spoke up.

8 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It’s still a worrying decline, whatever the cause.

I agree with that but we were flying high through mass injury and an intense schedule. It was bound to catch up to us. I worry it could effect the second half of the season but hopefully Diony, Kent and Walsh can afford a rest to one or two over the next month and we get through it still in the mix. Pisano and COD two more first XI due to come back as well. It is probably a minor miracle we have been in the top 6 all season. When people say we are punching above our weight they mean it. We know we are talented but these are new experiences for most. Look at the squads around us in Villa, Derby and Fulham. They have been here before and we haven’t. I think we will get through it and still make playoffs but we are competing with squads with 5-6 extra championship players at their disposal and probably close to 50-100% bigger wage budgets.  

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

I meant I didn't want an over-reaction to the Dubai trip as a result of last night's match - which was a response to the OP's comment..

After that I gave my own view, and for different reasons, personally speaking I'll always find the choice of Dubai incredibly depressing.

Yes mass slavery, bonded labour, work houses. For various reasons I was put onto the detail a few years back, and looked into it a lot.  

Since then I've continually put money into this, as I find it despicable that it is happening in the 21st century and no one says anything.

The Qatar WC is similarly obscene, but as we all well know in football money talks. There is no level of depravity FIFA won't engage in.

I obviously don't seriously expect the club to know anything about it, nor do I expect others to be well informed, but I am so I spoke up.

And yet you didn’t bring this up when city went to Africa a few years back where slavery is rife 

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

And yet you didn’t bring this up when city went to Africa a few years back where slavery is rife 

There's slavery in a lot of places (human trafficking at least) it would be a bit restrictive to boycott everywhere that suffers from it.

Dubai on the other hand is an artificially built city that used slavery to get to what it is now and continues to do so to rapidly expand.

Massive difference. The slavery there exists only to deliver the resorts and developments - so visiting them obviously funds it directly.

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

There's slavery in a lot of places (human trafficking at least) it would be a bit restrictive to boycott everywhere that suffers from it.

Dubai on the other hand is an artificially built city that used slavery to get to what it is now and continues to do so to rapidly expand.

Massive difference. The slavery there exists only to deliver the resorts and developments - so visiting them obviously funds it directly.

Ahh so you are selective when it comes to slavery,couldn’t make this shit up

32 minutes ago, Olé said:

This is true. I've seen it first hand. Very high suicide rate among migrant workers too I believe? 

Let's hope that this break has come at a good time for us......

We do however, need to bounce back next week against Sunderland.

Play Offs would always have been a "bonus" back in August - that's still very much within our grasp albeit, we need to get out of this rut, starting next weekend!

I’m all for a bit of team bonding and rewarding a good season so far.

However isn’t Dubai 4 hours in front of us ,if so I suggest we may be suffering a bit of jet lag next weekend after spending most of the week there.

Let’s hope that’s not the case and Sunderland suffer the backlash of last Friday.Can’t help thinking may have been better to go so far during an international break,even if everyone couldn’t go.

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It’s not a one off day, it’s a decline since the Man U game, culminating in a very poor performance last night.  Of course it can turn round, but we are on the slide at the moment, bottom 3 of the form table.

It's the first defeat then that was unexpected.

18 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Personally I think its ridiculous to travel half way across the world in between games.

Jet lag, and pure tiredness from travelling is bound to be a factor next week?

It’s 5hrs away, hardly half way round the world - plus they’re young fit lads who will recover from any jet leg pretty quickly. 

There’s **** all to do in Dubai other than shop or sit by a pool and rest up for a few days so it’s an ideal place to go. 

I think some time away from the recent media frenzy, fans and transfer window stress etc is going to do them the world of good. 

... it’s time to regroup and re-focus coz it’s clear to see that they bloody well need it. 

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Personally I think its ridiculous to travel half way across the world in between games.

Jet lag, and pure tiredness from travelling is bound to be a factor next week?

You won't get jet lag from going to Dubai. Only 3 hours time difference. 

5 hours ago, Olé said:

I've only been to Dubai once and didn't notice any mass slavery or work houses.  Though I accept that the reasonable veneer might be hiding anything.

Why don't you expect the club to know anything?  They have some well educated, well informed people involved.  Why don't you contact them and suggest they don't go again?

5 hours ago, Olé said:

Now you’ve explained it, and fair play. This context would have been handy in the original post. 

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

I've only been to Dubai once and didn't notice any mass slavery or work houses.  Though I accept that the reasonable veneer might be hiding anything.

Why don't you expect the club to know anything?  They have some well educated, well informed people involved.  Why don't you contact them and suggest they don't go again?

Because he thinks everyone at the club are dullards I guess 

Archived