IGNORED

Dubai - well earned break?

peanut

4 hours ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

It’s 5hrs away, hardly half way round the world - plus they’re young fit lads who will recover from any jet leg pretty quickly.

3 hours ago, Akira said:

You won't get jet lag from going to Dubai. Only 3 hours time difference. 

Pedantry alert, but it’s a 7 hour flight and a 4 hour time difference, not 3. 

Hopefully the effects of some winter sun and the team bonding element of the trip will more than offset the players spending 14 hours on a plane (and probably nearer to 16 or 17 hours once boarding, taxiing and disembarking etc are included). Johnson comes across as taking marginal gains very seriously so I’m sure the management team have thought seriously about the pros and cons of this trip. 

8 hours ago, Chivs said:

I've only been to Dubai once and didn't notice any mass slavery or work houses.  Though I accept that the reasonable veneer might be hiding anything.

And you won't.  I have worked throughout the Middle East and you will notice that most of the menial jobs are undertaking by mostly those of Filipino, Indian or Pakistani origin. All will have a good level of education and speak good English. The downside is that most live in very bad conditions in accommodation camps outside the city and are bussed in and out to work every day. They will work a minimum of 12 hour days for 5 and a half or 6 days per week. I had an instance in Saudi where some in our team had not been paid for close on 6 months. They cannot leave the country because their passports are held by their employer and they need permission to do so.

10 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

Is it time off or a training camp? Not seen anything official from the club. Very low profile if the latter.

It’s not time off, it’s meant to be some winter sun and training. I suspect had we won on Friday, we might have heard more about it by now. 

16 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

It’s not time off, it’s meant to be some winter sun and training. I suspect had we won on Friday, we might have heard more about it by now. 

Yeah I wonder if there’s a social media ban too, only Diony posted about it on his Instagram story and usually our entire squad post stories for something as dull as a bus journey to Hull!

16 hours ago, North London Red said:

Pedantry alert, but it’s a 7 hour flight and a 4 hour time difference, not 3. 

Hopefully the effects of some winter sun and the team bonding element of the trip will more than offset the players spending 14 hours on a plane (and probably nearer to 16 or 17 hours once boarding, taxiing and disembarking etc are included). Johnson comes across as taking marginal gains very seriously so I’m sure the management team have thought seriously about the pros and cons of this trip. 

I doubt they'll be flying cattle class either .

Jose took Utd to Dubai after losing to us.

His reasoning... was not only to get some rest after a long period of intense fixtures, but to work on game plans/tactics for the team, of which they had only time to rest and have game plans for each individual game when the fixtures were intense.

This trip is probably around the same thinking...especially to get our new recruits, bonded and up to speed with our way of playing.

As for using Dubai...what Country is not guilty of some misdemeanour?

We wouldn't be 'Great' if we hadn't raped and pillaged the world for large parts of our existence.

I look at the people in Countries rather than the politics and Governments. The majority are lovely people just like many public here.

Good and bad in every country.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Jose took Utd to Dubai after losing to us.

His reasoning... was not only to get some rest after a long period of intense fixtures, but to work on game plans/tactics for the team, of which they had only time to rest and have game plans for each individual game when the fixtures were intense.

This trip is probably around the same thinking...especially to get our new recruits, bonded and up to speed with our way of playing.

As for using Dubai...what Country is not guilty of some misdemeanour?

We wouldn't be 'Great' if we hadn't raped and pillaged the world for large parts of our existence.

I look at the people in Countries rather than the politics and Governments. The majority are lovely people just like many public here.

Good and bad in every country.

our country still deals with them as do many businesses, I am not sure why anyone would think that it should be our little football club that should take the moral high ground.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

our country still deals with them as do many businesses, I am not sure why anyone would think that it should be our little football club that should take the moral high ground.

I'm not proud of our Country or many others tbh...the people...yes, but Governments and many businesses leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I understand why others would feel differently, but it's pretty futile imo especially when our own Country is no better in many other aspects, past and now.

What happens in other countries now, is often a reflection of what's happened in the past with other countries. We've raped and pillaged to become great...and now take the moral high ground in many ways. Yet other countries want what we have and are going about it the same way.

What goes around comes around some might say.

Well I think that some find the way in which certain Middle Eastern countries treat certain ethnic groups quite abhorrent. It’s not well reported, if at all but modern day slavery very much exists and it is very prevalent in places like Dubai.

I don’t think we will hear much, it’s a private training trip and I’m pretty sure our media haven’t gone out there with them. I think other teams took break when we were playing the cup games, so we aren’t doing anything different, just later. I think it’s only for 5 days and we took advantage of the Bolton game being brought forward and flew on Saturday morning. I guess they will be returning Thursday to prepare for Saturdays game. 

As much as I loathe Dubai for the reasons others have stated in this thread, we've got 3 new faces in the squad, each not hugely familiar with the way we're playing, tired legs all throughout the team and a dip in form.

No better reason to have a break imo.

On 03/02/2018 at 00:41, Olé said:

Wow. No need for an over reaction after the result today BUT never thought I'd see City going to Dubai. A little part of me has died. Dubai, Qatar, these places are all built on mass slavery, no idea why people go there apart from the discounted hotels and the Disneyland resort spin to it all. 

I had to look to see who 'rubbished' this post so that I would know to never take their posts seriously again. 

Waste of money and unnecessary travel. A few days in Dorset, Devon or Cornwall would be enough to try to get the wheels back on the promotion bus.

Modern players are being ridiculously pampered. They should have played for City in the years after the Second War. Special training only existed before a special FA Cup tie and consisted of a run along Weston beach followed by a Brine Bath in the Knightstone Swimming Pool.

Signed,

Miserable Ol' Git!  

32 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Waste of money and unnecessary travel. A few days in Dorset, Devon or Cornwall would be enough to try to get the wheels back on the promotion bus.

Modern players are being ridiculously pampered. They should have played for City in the years after the Second War. Special training only existed before a special FA Cup tie and consisted of a run along Weston beach followed by a Brine Bath in the Knightstone Swimming Pool.

Signed,

Miserable Ol' Git!  

Loved the Knightstone!

Can’t see the problem personally. By early December we’d already played more football than any other team in the division with very little opportunity for a dedicated recovery ‘break’.

All about the marginal gains in competitive sports these days do sometimes you have to find them when and where you can. 

In the wider context of the season this makes total sense, surely? Time to refresh, refocus and take some time out away from it all. It'll be a great chance for Walshy, Kent & Diony to spend more time with the lads too, Moral issues with the choice of destination aside, I can't see any problem with it all! 

COYR 

24 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Can’t see the problem personally. By early December we’d already played more football than any other team in the division with very little opportunity for a dedicated recovery ‘break’.

All about the marginal gains in competitive sports these days do sometimes you have to find them when and where you can. 

And even when we’ve had an international break players like Bailey Wright have been playing and travelling to the other side of the world.

5 days in Dubai, that’s all it is. Maybe they went there as the weather is almost guaranteed, and they must be having use of some suitable facilities. They can’t surly play any worse for it than they did against Bolton

19 minutes ago, RedM said:

And even when we’ve had an international break players like Bailey Wright have been playing and travelling to the other side of the world.

5 days in Dubai, that’s all it is. Maybe they went there as the weather is almost guaranteed, and they must be having use of some suitable facilities. They can’t surly play any worse for it than they did against Bolton

It's their just deserts.

:whistle2:

Archived