IGNORED

Form Table & Possession

The Original OTIB

Adds weight to the theory that the more possession we have the worse we are.

I noticed at the very start of the second half we stopped the high press, presumably in a bid to allow them to come onto us so we could hit them on the break. We had our best spell of the game during this period (along with the first 10 mins) yet we soon reverted back to the high press and then ironically got done ourselves by a goal scored on the counter.

We got beaten at our own game last night and Bolton were very well organised and defended stoically. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I noticed at the very start of the second half we stopped the high press, presumably in a bid to allow them to come onto us so we could hit them on the break. We had our best spell of the game during this period (along with the first 10 mins) yet we soon reverted back to the high press and then ironically got done ourselves by a goal scored on the counter.

We got beaten at our own game last night and Bolton were very well organised and defended stoically. 

and a very good finish from Ameobi. Direct is not bad!

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

As I saw it too.

We all know that you have to score to win matches and we just didn’t trouble their keeper, even when we were on top.

If we can’t break these teams down then I’d rather we played towards their goal and take a pot shot...far better than lumping it up top.

When was the last time we scored a goal from outside the box? We need to something different at times - mixing it up a bit-  and give the opposition defence something to think about. They know they don’t have to press us to close down long shots and therefore can stay organised.

25 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

As I saw it too.

We all know that you have to score to win matches and we just didn’t trouble their keeper, even when we were on top.

If we can’t break these teams down then I’d rather we played towards their goal and take a pot shot...far better than lumping it up top.

When was the last time we scored a goal from outside the box? We need to something different at times - mixing it up a bit-  and give the opposition defence something to think about. They know they don’t have to press us to close down long shots and therefore can stay organised.

We are a good footballing side but certainly at the moment our passing game seems to take an age to get us from our penalty area to anywhere close to the opposition box. However, all to often when our attacks break down, the opposition manage to be pressurising us on the edge of  our area with one or two quick passes - including, dare I say it, long passes.

Is there a danger that we have become so obsessed with playing "our way" that we have lost the ability to be incisive, even it means hitting the ball long and quickly?  When we did get in and around their penalty area players seemed reluctant to get the ball into the box,  chosing to pass the ball - I presume to create a better opportunity - but when the move broke down  we were then quickly under pressure at the other end.

Another poster mentioned that opposition managers have now worked us out and it is no coincidence that when we come against teams that are prepared deep we struggle to break them down. We will be coming up against a fair few teams fighting for their lives at the bottom of the table and they will defend for their lives. Unless LJ can quickly find a way of countering this it will be tough for us to keep in a play off position. 

In golf there is a saying that it is how many not how that is important at the end of a round. I think that for the remainder of the season a similar comment applies to us. We need to find the way of being effective in some games, even if it is not the prettiest way,  as It won't be any good at the end of the season to say that we are one of the best footballing teams in the championship when we are watching 6 other teams promoted and competing in the play offs.

33 minutes ago, hodge said:

We struggle to break down teams who sit deep with men behind the ball, teams will have caught onto this and expect it to be used against us more. 

Johnson said in his post-match audio that he didn’t feel the game got stretched.  I thought it did when Bolton had the ball, because they started deep, and played into Walker.  Derby and Sheffield Utd play similarly, and I think we operate better with and without the ball when our three units are close together.

One game last season I think it was Gary Birtles suggesting Johnson wanted us 35 yards back four to strikers, but that we were 50 yards.

That was how I felt last night.  I think I notice these things when someone gets past a Pack or Smith challenge and they aren’t then right on top of of our CBs.  Last night Ameobi would break the midfield line and have space to then attack a back pedalling defence (not talking about the goal - that was different).

I don’t think Flint / Wright allowed us to play quite as high a line as we do with Baker.

Its something we need to look at away from home.

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

We are currently bottom 3 over the last 6 matches. Bolton are now 9th. Our possession stats keep climbing but our shots on target per game continues to fall, particularly away. We are often playing possession for possession's sake. Most goalkeepers have a pretty easy game against us at present.

When I watch us I think of Arsenal, loads of possession, nice football in bits but not clinical in the final third. We were much stronger when we played our defensive game and hit on the counter with quick passing football, we seem to have lost that recently seeming to choose to play it around at the back left to right until something opens up and then try to make it happen. The problem with that approach is any team capable of being patient and focused can get back, set up their positions and close off the opportunities.
It also baffles me that we loaned Diony, his biggest strength is his pace and to run on the last man, yet we're playing possession football meaning his biggest strength is being wasted.

Archived