IGNORED

Perspective - 17th Most Expensive Squad

The Original OTIB

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/marktwerttabellenplatz/wettbewerb/GB2

Preston, Sheffield Utd and us very much punching above our weight.

Hull and Sunderland on the other hand show that money isn't everything!

I suspect that Villa, Wolves and Fulham will make it this year so generally money (and experience) does help ... quite a lot.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Ah, perspective.

That will have a few posters on here diving into their dictionaries to tell them what it means. :whistle: 

Yep.  

1. the art of representing three-dimensional objects on a two-dimensional surface so as to give the right impression of their height, width, depth, and position in relation to each other.

"the theory and practice of perspective"

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Because their owner Shahid Khan has personal wealth of 7.5 Billion US dollars....

That'll do it 

At the start of the season. I thought of targets I wanted us to achieve, and as each one is achieved, the next one becomes the aim. Being in the play offs was the 4th and final target. So far we have only achieved one:

1. 50 PTS for safety. DONE.

2. Better points total than last year. NEARLY THERE.

3. 10th or above.

4. Play offs.

At the start of the season I would have been happy to achieve target 2 and nothing more. After the good run, I would be disappointed to fail on any of the targets, but with realism think we might manage target 3. Still hope to god we manage them all though.

37 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

At the start of the season. I thought of targets I wanted us to achieve, and as each one is achieved, the next one becomes the aim. Being in the play offs was the 4th and final target. So far we have only achieved one:

1. 50 PTS for safety. DONE.

2. Better points total than last year. NEARLY THERE.

3. 10th or above.

4. Play offs.

At the start of the season I would have been happy to achieve target 2 and nothing more. After the good run, I would be disappointed to fail on any of the targets, but with realism think we might manage target 3. Still hope to god we manage them all though.

That was then .

6 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yeah but it's not like Lansdown hasn't got a few quid

However, SL has a background in a heavily regulated financial services sector, where the penalties for non-compliance are punitive. 

It's not that he is not prepared to dip into his personal wealth, but he wants to ensure that the club can support itself financially , and certainly within the financial rules. I am sure his background and personal integrity would prevent him breaking any financial rules

Many other wealthy owners do not have his background ( or integrity!) and I doubt they will have the same degree of concern for adherence to financial rules ( if they have any). In some cases I suspect that the way in which they acquired their wealth might be more than a little dubious, so they are more likely to be concerned with the return they will get for success (e.g. promotion to the premier league) than they will for doing it the right way and within the rules.

25 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No idea what that table shows or how accurate it is.

However, according to the reliable football economist the Swiss Ramble we do have one of the lowest wage bills in the Championship.

On TalkSport the other week, someone (not one of the presenters) suggested we were one of the bigger fish....and was promptly put in there place.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

On TalkSport the other week, someone (not one of the presenters) suggested we were one of the bigger fish....and was promptly put in there place.

In fairness, I am (pleasantly) surprised we have one of the lowest. I'd have thought we'd be somewhere between 10-14th. 

Does go to show how much we're 'punching' this season and assuming a decent finish to the campaign this summer will be a crossroads for the club. 

With a top half average attendance and top half finish, current and prospective players will want top half wages.

This is only a guide. Remember, many players have been brought through the system (so notional value), + undisclosed fees etc. Clearly it changes regularly. Figures such as accounts depend on the company year end date and are always out of sync with the current picture. That being said, some interesting figures here:

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/national/football-finance-championship-club-by-club-2015-16

Archived