IGNORED

lack of quality in front of goal

sh1t_ref_again

As per title, not referring to our strikers finishing in front of goal, but both our shooting from free kicks from good positions, we rarely make the keeper make a save and can't remember the last time we scored, also the blind panic lashing the ball wildly at the goal when it has been cleared from a corner, rather than playing back into the box, which also seems to go nowhere near the target.

25 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We scored a couple against QPR on 27 January, not that long ago.....what merlot are you quaffing?! I need some....

if you only take a small part of my point you can answer it any way you want, 

"our shooting from free kicks from good positions, we rarely make the keeper make a save and can't remember the last time we scored"

my point was about the number of times we have a free kick in and around the edge of the box in a dangerous position and it generally just goes sailing over the cross bar without the keeper troubled. We hear a number of the players are good at dead ball situations but just don't do it on the pitch

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

if you only take a small part of my point you can answer it any way you want, 

"our shooting from free kicks from good positions, we rarely make the keeper make a save and can't remember the last time we scored"

my point was about the number of times we have a free kick in and around the edge of the box in a dangerous position and it generally just goes sailing over the cross bar without the keeper troubled. We hear a number of the players are good at dead ball situations but just don't do it on the pitch

I apologise, I thought you were saying you couldn’t remember the last time we scored. Didn’t realise you were talking about free kicks only.

Sorry!

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

As per title, not referring to our strikers finishing in front of goal, but both our shooting from free kicks from good positions, we rarely make the keeper make a save and can't remember the last time we scored, also the blind panic lashing the ball wildly at the goal when it has been cleared from a corner, rather than playing back into the box, which also seems to go nowhere near the target.

are you talking about last night's match? If so why has it taken you 24 hours to comment?

Our set pieces for a while have been poor, we score far fewer from corners and free kicks lately. Maybe teams are just that much more savvy from what a threat we were, but in general, when watching games it just looks like very poor service to players going up for set pieces, worse we leave ourselves so vulnerable at the back at times going up for set pieces. 

Also what's wrong with whipping fast crosses in like the one Famara got a glancing header on. They seem much more dangerous than the looping ball, hoping we will win a 50/50 header to play it into the box,  hoping that 50/50 is won and when done so that there is a actually goal scoring op. Wish we were  alot more direct in our set pieces, it's where we were getting a lot of success earlier in the season.

Completely agree with the OP. From our free kicks to long throws it seems we lack potency and very often end up losing possession. I do wonder whether players like Eliasson (got a great cross on him) and Duric (a great big lump that is hard to miss!) could help improve this side of our game.

As for shooting from free kicks, that is simply down to training ground practice.

I think it was Beckham that used to stay behind after training to work on his free kicks, perhaps a few of our players should take a leaf out of his book?

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We scored a couple against QPR on 27 January, not that long ago.....what merlot are you quaffing?! I need some....

Three goals from the last six games tells its own story...faint alarm bells??

I think sides at this level are working out how to best nullify us..

The very poor Sunderland home a must for a good solid three points/performance..

Think our danger from set pieces has been nullified slightly as oppositions now know to crowd out and harass Flint. 

Hopefully with a few other big players in the team now we can mix it up a bit so we're less predictable again...

19 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Don't do it!!

Dare ye broach the unbroachable subject of the fact we don't really have striker at the club.

Target men, hardworking, talented players but no genuine striker.

21 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Unfortunately those are City's only two goals in our last five League games.

Diedhiou still needs games to be fully sharp and we have missed a number of presentable chances recently. Paterson against Derby and Reid versus Bolton, the latter during a goalmouth scramble when it looked easier to score come to mind.

On the plus side we are still creating chances, but need to be more direct at times in the final third. 

Hopefully we'll see Diony get on the scoresheet soon.

15 hours ago, 054123 said:

Don't do it!!

Dare ye broach the unbroachable subject of the fact we don't really have striker at the club.

Define a genuine striker? Think we've got a couple.

I guess we have got pretty much two new players upfront to settle in now, Diedhieu obviously isn’t new as such but he is match rusty and we play a different way to having just Bobby or Bobby and Paterson so it’s like having to learn new ways. Again obviously we have had training with Diedhieu but Diony, Kent and Walsh have only been here for a couple of weeks. Early days but time we don’t have to spare now we have dropped points from our last few away matches. Hopefully this Dubai break will allow them to gel a bit.

16 hours ago, 054123 said:

Don't do it!!

In fact I was not, i was not really referring to the strikers, more our poor quality from direct free kicks in front of goal and as a separate point the number of times an opposition will clear a corner to an out field player who has a rush of blood and shoots rather than playing the ball back in to our big defenders or strikers, in both instances tamely well wide of the goal.

16 hours ago, 054123 said:

Don't do it!!

Not having a go but can you clarify what you mean? Both Reid and Diedhiou have a better than 1 in 3 goalscoring record this season.

That’s good for a ‘striker’ at any level, especially when you account for Diedhiou’s bedding in phase and the fact Reid had never played there before.

I think when he’s up to speed Diony will get goals too.

Archived