IGNORED

Square pegs and gung ho tactics

cidered abroad

This is not an LJ slag but I ask a couple of questions. 

Why do we need three changes to the side if one player is injured or suspended? Baker out, and so bring in Magnússon, and not move three players, Wright, Smith and Brownhill, to solve the problem. If LJ doesn't trust Mags, then he should have got another central defender in. And moving Smith always weakens our midfield. 

And are we now suffering because we don't have a right back as deputy for Pisano? Too right we are! 

And to the gung-ho tactics. We lose another game because we are unwilling to settle for a point. Wolves and now Bolton. Wolves by leaving Flint up front after we took the lead and at Bolton by going to a back three and having most of the back three and it seems, everyone else in their box for our corner.

Too easy to blame Joe when he'd already got a yellow. I say it's reckless tactics, that are OK in injury time against Man City in a cup game, but just downright naive in league matches.

Time for LJ and his team to rethink tactics and team selection, and otherwise this great opportunity will pass by long before the end of the season. 

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, I reckon Villa will end up 2nd and we’ll be 10th - which would be a fab achievement!

For us & where we was last season yep.

my only worry is certain players will leave now. Have we really got a ready & upcoming youth development coming up. Not championship level not yet. 

Maybe but not me. Bolton, wolves, Norwich, Burton, Preston, millwall. Could have been draw games. That's 6 points maybe more would be sat in 2nd if stopped trying to win every game. I hope lee isn't going on his Dads theory 2 points every 10 games. 

1 hour ago, roddy-d said:

Maybe but not me. Bolton, wolves, Norwich, Burton, Preston, millwall. Could have been draw games. That's 6 points maybe more would be sat in 2nd if stopped trying to win every game. I hope lee isn't going on his Dads theory 2 points every 10 games. 

Didn’t we draw against Millwall and Burton anyway?

Some matchups are different than others. I would have went with Mags. I would go with Mags against Sunderland. Leeds possibly a change. Wish LJ would mix it up a bit more too. Think we struggle against back 3s like Wolves, Bolton and Sheff U. Why not match those teams? He did this against Fulham earlier in the season dropping a striker. Worked a treat. Have to recognise we can play our game against about half the teams in the league. The other half we may need to change a few things. Think teams have figured us out a bit. 

18 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Some matchups are different than others. I would have went with Mags. I would go with Mags against Sunderland. Leeds possibly a change. Wish LJ would mix it up a bit more too. Think we struggle against back 3s like Wolves, Bolton and Sheff U. Why not match those teams? He did this against Fulham earlier in the season dropping a striker. Worked a treat. Have to recognise we can play our game against about half the teams in the league. The other half we may need to change a few things. Think teams have figured us out a bit. 

I would like to see us go 3412 against teams who sit back, Wright/Flint/Baker as CB's, Brownhill (RWB) Smith, Pack, Bryan (LWB) Reid in the hole behind Diedhiou and Diony.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

This is not an LJ slag but I ask a couple of questions. 

Why do we need three changes to the side if one player is injured or suspended? Baker out, and so bring in Magnússon, and not move three players, Wright, Smith and Brownhill, to solve the problem. If LJ doesn't trust Mags, then he should have got another central defender in. And moving Smith always weakens our midfield. 

And are we now suffering because we don't have a right back as deputy for Pisano? Too right we are! 

And to the gung-ho tactics. We lose another game because we are unwilling to settle for a point. Wolves and now Bolton. Wolves by leaving Flint up front after we took the lead and at Bolton by going to a back three and having most of the back three and it seems, everyone else in their box for our corner.

Too easy to blame Joe when he'd already got a yellow. I say it's reckless tactics, that are OK in injury time against Man City in a cup game, but just downright naive in league matches.

Time for LJ and his team to rethink tactics and team selection, and otherwise this great opportunity will pass by long before the end of the season. 

hes getting found out tactically

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

10th after two relegation battles with a cup run that will never be forgotten is a great season.

You do remember the last two seasons yes?

I do - but if we're taking it from where we have been throughout this season, 10th would represent a collapse. And we know these players are capable of higher.

Honestly can not believe the complete over reaction since Friday, I would rather have a manager that goes gung ho rather than set up not to be beat week in week out so just be careful what you wish for for. 

The moaning since Friday night is rather embarrassing I think people need to literally take a step back and have a reality check.

friday was frustrating we definitely didn’t deserve to lose it, they won it with a great goal we lick our wombs and bring on the next game. It’s like we’re expected to win every game if we don’t Johnson/players are useless.

14 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I'm struggling to understand why we're still sending Flint into the opposition box when we have Diedhiou and Diony on the pitch. It feels reckless and has cost us points in recent games.

He went up for a free kick didnt he?

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yes I’d be very happy with 10th place after the way we performed following our league one triumph and prior to this season. 10th would represent serious progress....

Pre season, 95% would have agreed, but we have proved to be better than 10th.

Some who are lingering in mid table, Boro, Forest etc are possibly underperforming. While we have, Imo, over performed.

Carpe diem means enjoy the moment but we have a real chance this season to "Grab the moment" which may not be repeated next year.

In August I'd have been happy with 10th. Now I will be seriously disappointed with anything less than 6th.

54 minutes ago, bs20ciderarmy said:

Honestly can not believe the complete over reaction since Friday, I would rather have a manager that goes gung ho rather than set up not to be beat week in week out so just be careful what you wish for for. 

The moaning since Friday night is rather embarrassing I think people need to literally take a step back and have a reality check.

friday was frustrating we definitely didn’t deserve to lose it, they won it with a great goal we lick our wombs and bring on the next game. It’s like we’re expected to win every game if we don’t Johnson/players are useless.

You don't necessarily have to go ' gung ho ' to win a match ,

There is being positive then there is handing the initiative to the opposition .

LJ has , often last season , gone all out and whilst I accept that 3 points are better than 1 , 1 point is better than 0 and a demoralising defeat.

Earlier in the season we were managing games better .

A stale mate yesterday would have quickly been forgotten about but the point nearer top six consolidation would have immense considering how we played . 

I believe he got it wrong yesterday but he is still learning and we can't win every match .

Some people still have a hidden axe to grind with Lee Johnson and it’s embarrassing. Same as when he played for us.  I thought this slump may happen due to the smallish squad and sheer amount of effort the players have put in, but some perspective is needed. The manager and players have given everything this season and the volume of games and sheer effort of the cup run has taken its effect. The way Mags has been made the scapegoat is truly sad. Johnson does need to shake up the team for the next few matches and I think he’s been trying to avoid that and I understand why.

Yes, people and players were dreaming of promotion but we were all getting carried away and hopefully when we all reflect on the season it will be in a positive manner. 

I’d say for a 36 year old bloke he’s doing pretty well. 26th in the football pyramid. I’m glad we’re not part of the journeyman football manager merry go round.

I honestly don’t know what people expect at times. It exasperates me and I honestly believed there are people on here itching for him to fail.

The closest Danny Wilson got to getting us promoted was his last season where we played more defensively.

The beautiful football gave way to a more pragmatic approach.

LJ treats every match like a cup tie when sometimes shutting up shop would help us inch towards promotion.

He is very much in credit for me but lessons must be learned.

On the right back issue, Brownhill v Sunderland?

Fairly sure he has played there before...he has energy and it would keep Korey free to do his thing in midfield.

A poster in the thread said we have one of the best defences in the League... It's good but not so sure it's great.

Number of shots we concede in a game definitely evidence to the contrary. Whether that's tactics or the fact we and our injuries often mean 3 (if we count Mags make it 4) centre backs in a game is hard to say...but the latter surely upsets the balance!

1 hour ago, Bobby Bollax said:

I’d say for a 36 year old bloke he’s doing pretty well. 26th in the football pyramid. I’m glad we’re not part of the journeyman football manager merry go round.

I honestly don’t know what people expect at times. It exasperates me and I honestly believed there are people on here itching for him to fail.

As I said, I was commenting and not slagging LJ. In many ways I admire a coach who will go for the win, even if on occasions, it goes belly up. But we have a golden opportunity to achieve this season what SL has planned for and it does seem too good an opportunity to waste.

We may not get this close again, through no fault of our own, for several seasons. Who comes down, who comes up and how many foreign oligarchs buy into a Championship club. Too many factors outside of our control so while we are good enough this season, we aren't consistent enough of late and a couple of draws instead of silly defeats, would have put a totally different slant on things. 

Caution in lieu of adventure can be just as effective.

Archived