IGNORED

Paterson

Beni71

Without a doubt one of my favourite players to watch when on song. Has great close control and makes us tick as a team. Like a few wasn’t at his best on Friday. His first touch, unusually, has been wanting in the last couple of games and slightly off form. 

He’s a player I would always have in my starting XI. I like him as a number 10 and don’t believe he’s as effective wide as doesn’t have the blistering pace. With Kent /Diony arriving and famara returning from injury we have more resources in the offensive positions. If we are to make the playoffs I think we need Paterson on the pitch where he can influence the game. Not sure we see him at his best in 442.

As someone relatively new to Bristol City, he comes across as a weak link.

He may be a fan favourite / a good servant to the cub but he constantly loses possession in the middle of the park (either through sloppy passes or running into trouble) and is frequently out f position when it comes to defending the counter attack. See Bolton goal & De Bruyne goal in the 1st leg of the Carabou as evidence of this, though it sould be pointed out it happens pretty much every game.

Again, I've missed out on what makes him a fan favourite but from my perspective a solid holding mid should have been bought in Jan.

Just to add - moved to Bristol last summer, bought a season ticket & have been to 3 away games so far (incl. up-coming Cardiff game). 

So, after spending £500+ to watch you lot this season, I want nothing more than for you to do well. Just posting my observations as a new fan won over by your style of play & buzz around the club.

5 minutes ago, swanker said:

He was terrible on Friday, kept giving the ball away and was rightly taken off. A bit like Tomlin, a liability if he’s not on song. 

Not saying he’s wasnt off form on Friday, but most commentary about him on here all season was even if he want playing well, he still had great workrate....which is the opposite of aTomlin.

He starts for me too, but wide. Our best play since I’ve been following City has come in 4-4-2 so I’m not too keen on changing it. Just ensure the wide players (Pato and COD when squad fully fit) know they have some freedom to drift inside and switch wings.

He's been off form for some time, I would have rested him 2 games ago. His control has been poor, and he has given the ball away a lot.  Earlier in the season he was as important and influential as anyone in the team but with others misfiring we can't afford to carry passengers. He will no doubt back , but for now I would drop him.  For me , his best position is in behind the forwards as he can go either way. I think he's a little wasted wide. 

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

He's been of form for some time, I would have rested him 2 games ago. His control has been poor, and he has given the ball away a lot.  Earlier in the season he was as important and influential as anyone in the team but with others misfiring we can't afford to carry passengers. He will no doubt back , but for now I would drop him.  For me , his best position is in behind the forwards as he can go either way. I think he's a little wasted wide. 

Totally agree. He needs to play a floating role behind the first line - popping up all over the place and making a nuisance of himself.

A winger he categorically isn't. 

55 minutes ago, LostScotsman said:

He may be a fan favourite / a good servant to the cub but he constantly loses possession in the middle of the park (either through sloppy passes or running into trouble) and is frequently out f position when it comes to defending the counter attack. See Bolton goal & De Bruyne goal in the 1st leg of the Carabou as evidence of this, though it sould be pointed out it happens pretty much every game.

Again, I've missed out on what makes him a fan favourite but from my perspective a solid holding mid should have been bought in Jan.

Are you talking about Marlon pack?

2 minutes ago, city2015 said:

Are you talking about Marlon pack?

Nope - #20

Pack makes similar mistakes in the centre also, though not as often. Plus he often puts in solid challenges to win it back.

I'm not looking to crap of Paterson but CM is a glaring issue in your team & is costing you hefty in big games.

3 minutes ago, LostScotsman said:

Nope - #20

Pack makes similar mistakes in the centre also, though not as often. Plus he often puts in solid challenges to win it back.

I'm not looking to crap of Paterson but CM is a glaring issue in your team & is costing you hefty in big games.

Has Paterson not been playing out wide or behind the striker this season? 

I've felt for ages that we need a play-maker in central midfield. Time and time again the ball comes to  our midfield and then back to the defenders without anyone trying to turn quickly and go forward. We are too static, we need someone with an eye for a quick pass, to co-incide with someone moving into space. With other options up front, how about Bobby Reid having a go in midfield?

It’s funny how results influence people’s opinions. Because Paterson has often given the ball away throughout the season, but that is because he will try things that other players don’t or do not see. He is brave on the ball & backs his ability. It’s just that when we are losing this is highlighted ten fold. He was poor Friday as were most, personally didn’t think the intensity was there. Would also definitely agree that he has to have the licence to be more central to affect the game. COYR 

2 hours ago, Beni71 said:

Without a doubt one of my favourite players to watch when on song. Has great close control and makes us tick as a team. Like a few wasn’t at his best on Friday. His first touch, unusually, has been wanting in the last couple of games and slightly off form. 

He’s a player I would always have in my starting XI. I like him as a number 10 and don’t believe he’s as effective wide as doesn’t have the blistering pace. With Kent /Diony arriving and famara returning from injury we have more resources in the offensive positions. If we are to make the playoffs I think we need Paterson on the pitch where he can influence the game. Not sure we see him at his best in 442.

Agree.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Not saying he’s wasnt off form on Friday, but most commentary about him on here all season was even if he want playing well, he still had great workrate....which is the opposite of aTomlin.

I rather have Paterson than the Tomlin of last season. on Friday though he was bad and has been poor for a few games now. I watched his performance against Bolton carefully and it must have been frustrating for the player around him. He was lightweight and gave the ball away all to often. He’s a good player but needs to put a shift in because if we’re going to make the playoffs we can afford to carry people. Man Utd and Man City are gone now and it’s Sunderland at home Saturday, we need 3 points 

2 hours ago, Beni71 said:

I thought that one of the reasons he left Forest was because they had played him out on the wing and he didn't get on the ball enough. 

I agree when Pato is on form he is top class but for me he is still too inconsistent with his performances.

33 minutes ago, swanker said:

I rather have Paterson than the Tomlin of last season. on Friday though he was bad and has been poor for a few games now. I watched his performance against Bolton carefully and it must have been frustrating for the player around him. He was lightweight and gave the ball away all to often. He’s a good player but needs to put a shift in because if we’re going to make the playoffs we can afford to carry people. Man Utd and Man City are gone now and it’s Sunderland at home Saturday, we need 3 points 

Yeah, it wasn’t the usual energetic performance that we see even when the skills don’t come off.

2 hours ago, LostScotsman said:

Just to add - moved to Bristol last summer, bought a season ticket & have been to 3 away games so far (incl. up-coming Cardiff game). 

So, after spending £500+ to watch you lot this season, I want nothing more than for you to do well. Just posting my observations as a new fan won over by your style of play & buzz around the club.

Why would you choose us over the multi-billionaires north of the river with the most loved fans in the country?

51 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Why would you choose us over the multi-billionaires north of the river with the most loved fans in the country?

Funny story - tried to go to Rovers vs. Oxford. Was turned away as they didn't sell tickets on the day.

Went and bought a few tickets then a season for Ashton Gate instead... Haven't looked back since.

2 hours ago, Fatalist said:

I've felt for ages that we need a play-maker in central midfield. Time and time again the ball comes to  our midfield and then back to the defenders without anyone trying to turn quickly and go forward. We are too static, we need someone with an eye for a quick pass, to co-incide with someone moving into space. With other options up front, how about Bobby Reid having a go in midfield?

I will take your post as a genuine suggestion.

Young Bobby played there quite a few times for quite a few season - with very mixed results.

3 hours ago, LostScotsman said:

I disagree, i feel He has been pretty key to the success we have had this season and has been involved in the majority of our good stuff. Nottingham Forest fans will say he blew hot and cold there but so far he has been fairly consistent in a City shirt.

57 minutes ago, LostScotsman said:

Funny story - tried to go to Rovers vs. Oxford. Was turned away as they didn't sell tickets on the day.

Went and bought a few tickets then a season for Ashton Gate instead... Haven't looked back since.

Lucky escape that...you wouldn't want to support Oxford!

Welcome.     

:thumbsup:

9 hours ago, LostScotsman said:

seems you went from zero to hero in two posts!!

On 04/02/2018 at 17:43, swanker said:

I said similar earlier, it even looked at one stage (I think it was Vs Norwich ) that he was hiding a little. His control , passing, everything just seemed a little off. There should be other players chomping at the bit to get in now, time to rotate and use the squad I think. I'm sure he'll be back and running the show again soon.

13 minutes ago, shelts said:

I can see why Forest got shot 

Bollocks.

Was arguably our biggest threat earlier in the season. Been in a bad patch of form. He's a real talent, and a bargain at the price we paid imo.

Archived