IGNORED

Assistant Referees

DownendRed97

Fantastic example of how an assistant referee helped the referee in the Liverpool vs Tottenham game today to come to a correct decision in such a high pressure situation. 

I feel that in many cases these days in football the 'linesman' may be scared to overrule a referee, for me if these officials made stronger decisions like the ones today then the need for VAR to be introduced may be lessened , as I for one would much prefer for the decisions in football to continue to be made by humans as it's what makes the game so enthralling whether decisions are right or wrong and it's much faster than the VAR system.

4 minutes ago, DownendRed97 said:

Fantastic example of how an assistant referee helped the referee in the Liverpool vs Tottenham game today to come to a correct decision in such a high pressure situation. 

I feel that in many cases these days in football the 'linesman' may be scared to overrule a referee, for me if these officials made stronger decisions like the ones today then the need for VAR to be introduced may be lessened , as I for one would much prefer for the decisions in football to continue to be made by humans as it's what makes the game so enthralling whether decisions are right or wrong and it's much faster than the VAR system.

I did wonder how on earth the Lino didn't see Bobbys penalty on Friday. I honestly think some shirk the big decisions for fear of reprisal. 

Not sure what you saw,but the first decision to overrule the ref for the penalty he was offside so surely that was wrong and the second I fail to see how that could be a penalty there was minimal if any contact , officials seem to be getting worse and ruining games with poor officiating.

1 minute ago, Peter1450 said:

Not sure what you saw,but the first decision to overrule the ref for the penalty he was offside so surely that was wrong and the second I fail to see how that could be a penalty there was minimal if any contact , officials seem to be getting worse and ruining games with poor officiating.

They had Dermot Gallagher on after clearing up the offside laws saying it was the right decision because Lovren played the ball apparently it wasn't offside...I thought it was offside too at first to be honest. Second one is down to opinion, for me he has kneed him in the back even if he has gone down maybe a little easily, im just impressed that the linesman was confident enough to make the decision, unlike the linesman on Friday with bobbys pen like  @Vincent Vega said.

The law is clear. If the player makes an attempt to, and does touch the ball, then the 'offside' player is automatically classed as being onside. Brilliant decision by, imo, a poor ref. Second one was stone wall as well. Although vvd is unluckly as the was swinging to clear the ball, he blatantly kicked him in the back of the knee. No idea how there is even a debate about it tbh. 

6 minutes ago, arrytheb said:

The law is clear. If the player makes an attempt to, and does touch the ball, then the 'offside' player is automatically classed as being onside. Brilliant decision by, imo, a poor ref. Second one was stone wall as well. Although vvd is unluckly as the was swinging to clear the ball, he blatantly kicked him in the back of the knee. No idea how there is even a debate about it tbh. 

Had no idea about that offside rule.

17 minutes ago, arrytheb said:

I do believe you are right Re the rule, however, I think it is total bollox.  I know my view makes no difference to the Laws, but how could anyone who has played that game decide that rule made any sense.

re the second pen, VVD tries to pull out, he does make contact, albeit fairly minimal.  In some respects you could say contact means foul....but did Lamela need to go down like that?  

In that case it’s fine for the Lino to advise the ref that he saw VVD swing a leg, but Moss (far closer, unless unsighted) should determine the severity of the contact.  By the letter of the law it’s probably a pen, but it’s a soft one (whatever that means).

3 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

If Kane is classed as NOT off side then i give up

Just keep it simple 

As the cheating B*****d Ali plays the pass Kane IS off side A Liverpool player touching the ball should not change that

That’s how I feel.

Alli has now done this far too often, he needs to be made an example of.  He’s blatantly trying to deceive the ref.  Again the laws mean Moss can only issue a yellow.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I do believe you are right Re the rule, however, I think it is total bollox.  I know my view makes no difference to the Laws, but how could anyone who has played that game decide that rule made any sense

I totally agree mate. It's a ridiculous rule and for me, the whole offside rule is too complex. 

're the 2nd one, imo, if that's on the half way line then it's a foul so it's a foul in the box to. 

13 minutes ago, arrytheb said:

I totally agree mate. It's a ridiculous rule and for me, the whole offside rule is too complex. 

're the 2nd one, imo, if that's on the half way line then it's a foul so it's a foul in the box to. 

Yeah, that’s how I feel too.  All a penalty is, is a foul inside the box.  If refs stopped discriminating where the offence happened, more defenders would think twice about swinging a left, or sliding into a challenge in the box....and learn to defend properly.

The Offside law just makes a refs job harder.

According to Collina (a very good ref), The lino’s Flag (at the top level) is for communicating to the fans only, not to make the ref’s decision for him...they do that via their mics and ear-piece.  That is why you sometimes see the Lino wave the flag after the ref points a given way.  It looks like the Lino is just avoiding making a decision, whereas they may have voiced the decision to the ref.

Makes it difficult for us fans though.

3 hours ago, DownendRed97 said:

Probably  the refs tell them just do the offdides 

At my referee training, the teachers couldn’t even explain that element of the offside rule.

There were two video examples they used, one in which the defender tried to kick the ball clear, the other in which the defender tried to head it.

In both cases, they mistimed it and ended up flicking the through ball on to the attacker (the intended recipient of the pass).

According to them, one was onside, the other was offside, and we all ripped up our notes and decided to play Cluedo instead.

It was a shambles. Ever since that course, I’ve never been surprised when referees make mistakes.

11 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

At my referee training, the teachers couldn’t even explain that element of the offside rule.

There were two video examples they used, one in which the defender tried to kick the ball clear, the other in which the defender tried to head it.

In both cases, they mistimed it and ended up flicking the through ball on to the attacker (the intended recipient of the pass).

According to them, one was onside, the other was offside, and we all ripped up our notes and decided to play Cluedo instead.

It was a shambles. Ever since that course, I’ve never been surprised when referees make mistakes.

Where and when did you do this training, and how many sessions did you attend?

2 minutes ago, Red Tel said:

Where and when did you do this training, and how many sessions did you attend?

Was late 2013, in South London (Bexley I think). Can’t remember exactly how many sessions it was - 2 or 3 full days, and an evening perhaps, followed by the exam. Something like that.

Foul on Bobby Reid not quite as clear as Simon Moore doing his best Harold Schumacher impersonation for Sheffield United against Wolves, but really anyone with eyes in their head could see he had been hit by the goalie, who also missed the ball. Even more bizarrely the ref then gave it as a foul by Bobby on the goalie. Bobby's face (plus some lip-reading) said it all!

What is so annoying is the complete inconsistency between different officials. And most linesmen are not worthy of the title of "assistant referee", as many seem to do nothing but watch the line & for offsides. Yet even that can be beyond some of them!

In my view today’s decisions have nothing to do with us other than the officials have been shit for us - Lino’s too slow to keep up with play, Lino’s not brave enough to make the correct call and dare I say that in the opinion of the FL we are not fashionable enough to be up there with the best, hence refs are instructed to not give decisions our way- the bad calls too often to be accidents! Note the way the worst refs - LINNINGTON the perfect example his decisions are so inconsistent game to game it’s a joke! In Germany the referee is always referred to as the unparteiischer or in English the neutral one, does not apply here - how often is the ref in a city game “local” to the opposition? The Efl is joke - no way is VAR going to become a reality soon, the management of the game is a joke!

I'd reduce the offside law to a player being offside if he is in an offside position both when the ball is passed to him and when he receives it.  That means allowing players to move from an offside position to an onsider position to receive the ball, and I'd certainly keep a player being onside if an opponent plays the ball last. 

Curious to know how abolishing the offside rule altogether would affect the game.  Haven't they experimented with this somewhere?

The thing that annoys me about the off dude rule coming back from an off side position to bring on side ! 

You recieve the ball on onside position but are still off side because you were coming back , think this confuses the linesman. Because you become active whilst in an onside position how can this be offside ! Not sure the linesman know themselves!

as for Friday how it wasn’t a penalty for bobby  being taken out is beyond belief but that’s football expect the unexpected from the men in black

I don't think linesman will ever be confident in making their own decisions (in the championship) until they get made full-time to boost their confidence. Ridiculous that they aren't well paid and full time when they are officials in games with £10+ million players.

As for VAR, completely agree with the OP. Not a fan at all, it vastly slows the pace of the game and I'm not sure whether many will agree but I quite enjoy the human error involved in refereeing (when it's reasonable and not just shocking) and think it's part of the sport.

Archived