IGNORED

Leeds manager sacked!

BanburyRed

Disappointed that Hecky has gone. Yes. But not distraught. Its a strange one. 

The thing is, we all know at Barnsley that there are reasons why we have struggled this season (and second half of last season) that are not down to Hecky. Eg. Having virtually the whole team sold from underneath him, first in Jan 17 and then more in the summer. We have had Cryne's terminal illness, a period of time with no CEO etc. In some ways its a miracle we are not cast adrift as this year's Rotherham. BUT we can also see Hecky making selection and tactical mistakes on a regular basis and there was a building feeling that we were not getting the best out of an admittedly limited squad. 

We have given Hecky an awful lot of slack as a fanbase, because of the above, because of the success we had in 2016 and because he's, well, "one of our own". We have been frankly awful for a full calendar year now - 3 wins at home in a year, and its tempting to think that we couldn't have done any worse if the players had just sorted themselves out with no manager. But I have seen no signs at all of fans losing faith in him, right up to last weekend when we were awful again at QPR and our forum entertained the idea from some posters that he was losing it. We even had a poll on there but it still showed 95% in favour but there was a growing recognition that the faith in him wasn't infinite.

Whilst I would have stuck with him until at least Christmas even if we went down, my thought is that because of all the obstacles and issues he had to deal with, we can't really judge whether, when conditions are favourable, he is actually that good. So yes I am disappointed he's gone cos we are sick of replacing managers and wanted to stick with one. I wanted hin to succeed. But who knows, it may be for the best. It certainly leaves us in the crap in the short term though. Massive game against the er Massives on Saturday and we badly need a win. I am beginning to fear its too late and are destined to go down.

I can understand why he's gone. A lot of fans are pointing at him being a lifelong reds fan but its just a job for these people. There is no loyalty in football, except from us fans is there. This one proves it more than most. But it works both ways - we have new owners who are likely to not be as loyal as the fans were to Hecky because of the local ties and we could have sacked him before the month was out.

The thing that bothers me a bit is the fact that he signed a new contract with a release clause set at 500k and 2 days later, lo and behold, Leeds trigger it. I believe, because of the speed of it all, he must have been tapped up beforehand and he signed that contract knowing what would happen 2 days later. And then takes all his staff with him. Something a bit smelly about that. But f.ck him. We have to move on.

One that made me smile today was a tweet saying that he had signed a contract until 2019 but they were trying to work out if that was the year 2019 or whether it meant 8.19pm

Sorry for the long post....and I hope you spank them in 2 weeks :)

20 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

@redsfan who do you want to get in  ?

If I am being honest I haven't got a bloody clue!!

Grayson seems to get a lot of mentions. The favourites at the moment are the Cowleys at Lincoln. No doubt they are doing a cracking job but I'd be surprised if the managers at Lincoln City were on the radar of our new international owners.

Given our French CEO, don't be surprised if its a French bloke we have never heard of.

9 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

How do managers just get to take the back room staff with them? Surely they’re employees of the club and should carry on at the club unless the management don’t want them?

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cos the backrom staff tend to get sacked along with the manager....

Yep plus usually the managers will want to bring in their own backroom staff anyway.

For example, Jurgen Klopp's no.2 is somebody he played football with at Mainz, Zelko Buvac has been his no. 2 ever since Klopp went into management. 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Wonder if they’ll try and survive this season, and then go for Mick McCarthy...ex-Barnsley player.  He’s out of contract at Ipswich in the summer and made it clear he doesn’t want a new deal.  If I were Barnsley I would use Heckingbottom money to get MM now

What makes you think he’s made it clear he doesn’t want a new deal? He signed a ‘performance related’ contract in 2016 that could see him stay at Ipswich until 2020...

26 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What makes you think he’s made it clear he doesn’t want a new deal? He signed a ‘performance related’ contract in 2016 that could see him stay at Ipswich until 2020...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mick-mccarthy/profil/trainer/599

and Talksport talking about it tonight too.

The newish owners of Leeds are fast turning into Cellini Mk2. How many Italians have owned English clubs? The only two I can think of are Leeds and Orient both rapidly turned into the laughing stock of the land in equal measure.

If there is anybody in Brescia please show some pity for the local fans; Cellini has rocked up there now. You can only see it going one way.

I really struggle to see Heckingbottom being a success, at least this season. He is a relatively inexperienced manager whose previous role involved taking over a well-run club on a winning run where he had been part of the structure that was put in place and expectations were low. 

With Leeds, he has a lot to sort out in a short space of time, a squad that are a mish-mash of signings from umpteen different managers and presumably expectations of immediate success.

It might be the club have written off this season and want to consolidate and build in the summer, which maybe they can do, but I struggle to see him helping them back into the play-off race. Leeds are a good club and our game Sunday week will be tough but I feel a little bit more confident with Heckingbottom in charge than I would with the last guy. 

On 06/02/2018 at 22:10, redsfan said:

If I am being honest I haven't got a bloody clue!!

Grayson seems to get a lot of mentions. The favourites at the moment are the Cowleys at Lincoln. No doubt they are doing a cracking job but I'd be surprised if the managers at Lincoln City were on the radar of our new international owners.

Given our French CEO, don't be surprised if its a French bloke we have never heard of.

Well, Jose Morais then as our new man at Barnsley. No one saw that one coming.

What do you guys make of that from a distance - interested to know your thoughts.

From my perspective, its certainly made for more interesting times ahead. It kind of shows that the new board have ambitions which has pleased the fans. The apppointment has been seen by us as a bit inspiring, much more so than the appoimtment of one of the recent failures on the circuit looking for another go on the merry go round. Whether he is any good only time will tell. 

I don't see him being a long termer, which is my key concern. Lets face it, he is clearly ambitious and will not have grown up dreaming of managing Barnsley. It looks like he hasn't stayed anywhere more than 18 months.

Perhaps our hope is that his short spell in charge progresses us a notch or two on the long term journey and if he moves on quickly its because his stay has been a huge success. 

If he helps us to stay up he'll be a hero!

31 minutes ago, redsfan said:

What do you guys make of that from a distance - interested to know your thoughts.

From my perspective, its certainly made for more interesting times ahead. It kind of shows that the new board have ambitions which has pleased the fans. The apppointment has been seen by us as a bit inspiring, much more so than the appoimtment of one of the recent failures on the circuit looking for another go on the merry go round. Whether he is any good only time will tell. 

I don't see him being a long termer, which is my key concern. Lets face it, he is clearly ambitious and will not have grown up dreaming of managing Barnsley. It looks like he hasn't stayed anywhere more than 18 months.

Perhaps our hope is that his short spell in charge progresses us a notch or two on the long term journey and if he moves on quickly its because his stay has been a huge success. 

It's certainly an interesting appointment and like you say different to the same old failures on rotation across the football league.

If i'm honest i don't know an awful lot about him other than he had been everywhere from saudi arabia to real madrid and that his most settled time was working with mourhino- Could work well for you in the loan market come the summer.

47 minutes ago, redsfan said:

I'd would have said a perfect match.

:blink:

Unless the guy works an absolute miracle, i cant see him making any difference to the leeds team tomorrow.

I dont know why the media say he was doing a good job at Barnsley look at their league position.

The day after city beat sheffield united we went to Barnsley to watch them play Derby and Barnsley who lost

3 nil were absolutely awful.

C O Y R

4 hours ago, redsfan said:

Don’t really know enough about him to have a strong opinion. It is a bit of a gamble but maybe it is better to go for someone who is a risk than someone with a track record of failure...

Archived