IGNORED

How do we get back on track

barneyrubble

48 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In August I predicted an optimistic 8th however expectations change. We got through January after playing everyone once in the playoff places and so for me anything outside of playoffs would now be a disappointment. 

I’m sure the team and management would also be disappointed to miss out on the playoffs.

I would be disappointed too, but I’m also mindful that this is a marathon not a sprint, and in seeing other teams picking up momentum as we stall a little, we might be seeing a more realistic breakdown of how the league shapes up come May now.

Personally, I do think we have it in us to solidify a top six place, and the cup games have shown we’re as good as any one in knockout football.  

But watching us against Bolton I got the sense we may need to temper our expectations, as this squad is both creaking under the weight of injuries in key positions (right back and our ability to cover it is a rolling nightmare), and still very young/inexperienced at this level.

I sincerely hope that a few weeks of games only at weekends, allowing our players to rest up and new lads to get better integrated, as well as giving time for injured boys to come back, will translate into an uptick in form, but I’m still mindful that a top six finish was a total dream back in the summer, so am not too concerned yet.

31 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Start scoring again....simples.

Oh,and for LJ to "get back to basics"-cant help but feel "tinkerman" may be rearing 'ees ugly head again..

That's why 20 goal strikers are 2 a penny...!

12 hours ago, Flagon said:

I think we’ve lacked a bit of patience. 

It took Man City right into injury time both games to grind out a win against us. They had to show so much patience to keep plugging away at us, while we ourselves made it really hard for them and played well ourselves. Wolves we had the fortune of them going a man down and we were well in control, grabbed a goal but were then sloppy in not just seeing out the game. Norwich we were playing well and then changed things up and just lost out, Bolton we were starting to exert some pressure and then changed things up in the expectation it would create the breakthrough. 

Obviously the changes could have worked and there is always that hindsight aspect but most teams acknowledge that we are a good side this season and they will only be too happy to frustrate us as much as possible. 

11 hours ago, Full nelson said:

Impatience is the key! I think the players get frustrated with the game at 0-0 for a long time or a side draws level and we push players forward and get caught on the counter attack often and sometime leads to the opposition scoring. LJ does try to enforce his game plan against most sides we play but maybe we need to be the side soaking up the pressure and break quick in the counter especially away from home. Would of been interesting to see what Bolton would of done if we were the side sitting deep in the first half, confidence to them to push forward and leaving gaps for our quality to run into and overlap also. Only the coaching staff and players know what’s going on. 

Both posts above are good reasons I think.  We ground down teams earlier in the season.  We were patient, if it took 85 minutes to craft the match-winning goal (chance) the so be it as @ZiderEyed gave in his Pato example.

9 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

That was the biggest disappointment for me, knives straight out and the match day thread littered with names that were nowhere to be seen when the results were good. 

It feels like people expect us to do absolutely everything right and get a good result in every single game - that’s just not how life works at this level. 

OTT is correct. Sat in the playoffs after two thirds of the season is an absolutely superb achievement and people would do well to remember that and keep some sense of perspective. 

I didn’t think the comments generally were too bad, more critique than criticism if that makes sense.  Of course the usual muppets were bashing away, but if you ignore them there was quite a reasonable reaction.  I like to think I’m fairly level-headed, but by Sunday I reflected and thought I over-reacted in it not being quite such a bad performance as I thought.  We did get a bit strung out (even though LJ said we didn’t - we did), but we also controlled the play too...just lacked the penetration.

5 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Oh,and for LJ to "get back to basics"-cant help but feel "tinkerman" may be rearing 'ees ugly head again..

I feel he’s started to get a tad over-confident, forcing the issue with substitutes and tactical / style changes.  Early on in the season I wrote a lot about the principles, his belief in the 442/4411...but he’s chucked that away at times.

I look back at Wolves, not for not moving Flint back after we went 1-0 up, more that we put him up there so soon.  Only my view, but I wanted us to keep playing the way we were, dominating possession, making them chase us, tiring them out, until we created the chance we needed.  The more they chased us, the more tired they’d become, the less likely they were to mount their own attacks.  I think we got greedy.  I sat at home (in laws were round), and even at the Batth red card, would’ve settled for 0-0.

But this Can’t be one sided, LJ pushing Flint up against QPR, gained us a point, and there will be other scenarios where we’ve earned points from LJ’s gambles, so I'm not really moaning, just think he needs to go back to basics until we get a run going again.  Then momentum will make those gambles come off.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

feel he’s started to get a tad over-confident, forcing the issue with substitutes and tactical / style changes.  Early on in the season I wrote a lot about the principles, his belief in the 442/4411...but he’s chucked that away at times.

In general I agree with your post, but I would much rather Lee tried to go for the win and play good, entertaining football than playing it safe and trying to get a draw. 

One of my favourite things about watching this season's Bristol city is that they are great to watch, and would hate for us to fall into the Cardiff category of focusing on results, not entertainment. 

10 minutes ago, Williams' Penalty said:

In general I agree with your post, but I would much rather Lee tried to go for the win and play good, entertaining football than playing it safe and trying to get a draw. 

One of my favourite things about watching this season's Bristol city is that they are great to watch, and would hate for us to fall into the Cardiff category of focusing on results, not entertainment. 

Totally get your reasoning, and it’s been great this season.

I’m just a bit cautious (especially away from home) and I think we built a bit of invincibility through the run of games where we were hard to beat.  I think our confidence grew and we then turned a couple of draws into wins.

I see it's just been announced that the premier league are considering a winter break in January, when the next TV deal is negotiated.

Obviously we've been ahead of the game by taking a winter break this January - unfortunately the other contenders didn't do the same.

20 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

1). Bring somebody in who could take a free kick to coach our free kick takers, somebody who from in and around the box looks as though he might actually hit the target for a change.

2). Stop (and this is direct from LJ) the search for the perfect goal and uncomplicate passing in and around the opponents penalty area.

3). Stop the occasional hospital passes and weak defending across our back line, sometimes safety first (even Man City, revert to that when needed).

4). Stop playing our best midfielder at right back.

5). Vastly improve our delivery from the flanks and perhaps instructing our 'wide men'  to not always cut inside into severe traffic jams but take full backs on and cross more from wide positions.

Bang on for me.

Still think Point 4 - Smith's absence from Centre Midfield - was biggest reason we struggled so badly against Bolton.

Re point 1 - Brownhill has tried the 'Ronaldo' style free kick at least 3 times now, each time it's sailed a few feet over the bar. 

Of course if you fix point 4 by playing Mags CB whilst Baker out, then he can also hit a decent Free Kick, not that he seems to be given the chance much.

Several different things have contributed to the recent downturn in results and performance.

The long term injuries have finally had their effect.

If we had not had the League Cup run, we may not have got so mentally and probably physically tired with the remaining fit members of the squad.

The right back situation is a major factor. LJ saved himself a selection problem by putting a centre back there. Did not have to choose between AF, NB and BW. But by doing so weakened us as an attacking outfit because BW is not comfortable in attacking situations. I think LJ was far too catious by not using Zak Vyner there.

I put a post up after Bolton about going gung-ho. That was a bit over the top from me, but realising the team that was on the pitch, early in the second half with score still at 0-0, made me concerned.

A back three is OK but to have all attacking players in front of them, is asking for trouble. The only defensive minded player was Korey Smith, but even he was getting forward. LJ was correct to throw the kitchen sink at Man U and Man City at the end of all three games. It worked against Man U but led to our defeat by Man C. No shame in that, the correct tactics for cup games.

But for league matches, especially away from home, we start with a point. One point per away game is a superb performance over nine months of the season. But we went all out attack at Bolton shortly after half time.

The sensible thing is to be a bit more cautious until later in the game. Bolton may have helped us by pushing forward to try for a winner, in which case that makes it the ideal scenario for us to press high and nick a goal on the break. Even if Bolton were happy with a point, that should have been OK for us.

All of our three coaches are still in their early years in the role. They are learning, I hope, all the time and whatever comes this season, the experiences will stand us in good stead in the future.

Finally, while I'm disappointed at recent performances and results, to be absolutely safe from RELEGATION by 2nd February feels so good compared with the last two seasons of struggle. I'll be positive and say now, that we'll finish in the top six.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Bang on for me.

Still think Point 4 - Smith's absence from Centre Midfield - was biggest reason we struggled so badly against Bolton.

Re point 1 - Brownhill has tried the 'Ronaldo' style free kick at least 3 times now, each time it's sailed a few feet over the bar. 

Of course if you fix point 4 by playing Mags CB whilst Baker out, then he can also hit a decent Free Kick, not that he seems to be given the chance much.

Patterson scored a beautiful free kick against Derby at home I believe, before that and since our free kicks have in the main been woeful and getting worse, one in the first half at Bolton was almost 6 foot over the bar.

If we shoot it is not even getting close, if it's a free kick farther we have a single plan and that is to seek out Flint who is usually being marked by 2 who are invariably wrestling with him. I cannot remember the last time we actually attempted what can be remotely described as a 'free kick' routine as practiced on the training ground, trying to make space with runners, by passing the wall, it's just lumped in towards Flint end of.

26 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Patterson scored a beautiful free kick against Derby at home I believe, before that and since our free kicks have in the main been woeful and getting worse, one in the first half at Bolton was almost 6 foot over the bar.

If we shoot it is not even getting close, if it's a free kick farther we have a single plan and that is to seek out Flint who is usually being marked by 2 who are invariably wrestling with him. I cannot remember the last time we actually attempted what can be remotely described as a 'free kick' routine as practiced on the training ground, trying to make space with runners, by passing the wall, it's just lumped in towards Flint end of.

Against Man City in the second leg we nearly got through but their defender , Walker , I think sprinted across and blocked the shot .He was the only opposition player who was alert to the free kick.

Every one else expected a cross into the box but the ball was fed along the ground by the right wing .

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Against Man City in the second leg we nearly got through but their defender , Walker , I think sprinted across and blocked the shot .

Every one expected a cross into the box but the ball was fed along the ground by the right wing .

Between us we have managed to highlight one success and one almost but not quite, not overly inspiring is it?.

Getting back on track is dependant upon us getting back to basics IMHO. I have been really excited to see Fammy return to the starting line up, but our style of play has become a little long ball - hoof it and hope. This seems to have coincided with Bobby not having the freedom (and intensity) he enjoyed a few months ago. Hopefully they will click over the coming weeks. Callum's return will also be a huge boost.

Hopefully the Dubai trip will help re-invigorate a pretty tired bunch of fellas and also better integrate the newbies. COYRs:chant6ez:

Easy one. Play the success team. Due to injuries Bobby (by miles our most gifted player) had to play both the number 9 & 10 role and he managed. With his technique he was capable of it. Bobby making room for a "twelfth" player and it due to injuries had to be a footballer made our fluent game of attacking football     

Archived