IGNORED

This Penalty nonsense...

spudski

10 minutes ago, Laner said:

Fines are irrelevant with the financial rewards of being in the Premiership. League points is the only currency that clubs worry about. Start deducting those and then let's see what changes.

Clubs yes, I agree.

But you see the difference it will make if Pep or Jose are losing half their wages because their players are diving. They'd soon stamp it out.

The first thing I would bring in is a straight red for diving, and now we are getting VAR there is less chance of the officials getting it wrong. Secondly, and this would be a major change, instead of a penalty, make it penalties. So when  there is an infringement in the box the side have to take 2 penalties by two different players, and score them both for a goal to be awarded. This just might make players think a bit harder before going down cheaply and stay on their feet to try and score legitimately . 

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

The first thing I would bring in is a straight red for diving, and now we are getting VAR there is less chance of the officials getting it wrong. Secondly, and this would be a major change, instead of a penalty, make it penalties. So when  there is an infringement in the box the side have to take 2 penalties by two different players, and score them both for a goal to be awarded. This just might make players think a bit harder before going down cheaply and stay on their feet to try and score legitimately . 

I like the idea of a straight red for diving, especially if followed by a 3 match ban - it would give players an incentive to stay on their feet.

I've never understood why diving isn't a red card. You're literally cheating in the most blatant form..and its only a yellow?

Cheating is the worst of unsportsmanlike behaviour and so I would be inclined to say that a 3 match ban isn't long enough...they're contributing to ruining the entire sport, after all.

In my opinion, VAR should be introduced, but with the referee being the initiator and the decision from the VAR being final, rather than a recommendation, like with the third umpire. For instance, a player goes down in the box. Referee indicates he wishes to use VAR. VAR reviews the footage. If contact, then award the penalty, and it is up to the referee whether its a yellow or a red. If a dive, then free kick, straight red, further review by a committee, who decides on a ban - if clear cheating, then a five match ban. Without VAR, such a strong line against diving becomes more difficult because there is the "what if" question of if it wasn't a dive and so a team lost a player unjustly, but personally, if VAR is introduced (perhaps with a change to how the clock works, maybe stop the clock every time the ball goes out and end the match at first ball out of play after 90 minutes) I feel it's very possible and will make the game much, much fairer.

Very radical, I know. But some of the best ideas in history were radical.

Whilst having a red for the player fine and ban the Manager and the problem will soon go away

Penalties should only be for the denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity and not for (i felt contact , the defender was breathing down my neck ) I would  leave diving down to the officials but for comical Dives (Bas Savage) I think a penalty should be awarded and the keeper has to stand outside the box just to give him a chance.

5 hours ago, The Gambler said:

Make the penalty area smaller in area and change the shape to that of an Isosceles Trapezoid.

The shortest length of the trapezoid could be the width of the 6 yard box along the goal line and the longer length could be the current line used widthways for the 18 yard box. The area of the trapezoid would effectively be the “shooting / goal scoring zone”.

This would result in less penalties from incidents in non threatening areas (i.e. outside the shooting / goal scoring zone)

Isosceles and Trapezoid on OTIB, and in the same sentence....give yourself another ‘like’. :clapping:

4 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

New rule: A player must attempt to stay on his feet at all times. If, in the referees opinion, the player didn't attempt to stay on his feet then no free kick or penalty can be awarded. 

I like that idea, but players will start practicing stumbling.

I agree with the red card for a dive, but you probably need VAR to implement it

3 game ban for a dive, 6 games if he does it again...and -1 point for the team.  9 points if said player does it a third time, and -3 for the team.  Until you start dishing out over-zealous ‘penalties’ for diving, you won’t see a change.  Any team that has 3 dives in a season, -1 point. Etc.

Re VAR, digressing for a mo’, why make it the refs decision....they’re just opening up themselves to change their own decision.  One challenge per team.  Successful challenge, you keep it.  Unsuccessful, it’s gone....tough shit if you wanted another later on.  Would stop ‘tactical’ challenges.  It’s there for totally wrong decisions.  

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Isosceles and Trapezoid on OTIB, and in the same sentence....give yourself another ‘like’. :clapping:

I like that idea, but players will start practicing stumbling.

I agree with the red card for a dive, but you probably need VAR to implement it

3 game ban for a dive, 6 games if he does it again...and -1 point for the team.  9 points if said player does it a third time, and -3 for the team.  Until you start dishing out over-zealous ‘penalties’ for diving, you won’t see a change.  Any team that has 3 dives in a season, -1 point. Etc.

Re VAR, digressing for a mo’, why make it the refs decision....they’re just opening up themselves to change their own decision.  One challenge per team.  Successful challenge, you keep it.  Unsuccessful, it’s gone....tough shit if you wanted another later on.  Would stop ‘tactical’ challenges.  It’s there for totally wrong decisions.  

Nice idea but in the prem you would have twenty teams with negative points total do you use goal or dive difference?

3 minutes ago, reddoh said:

Nice idea but in the prem you would have twenty teams with negative points total do you use goal or dive difference?

I hadn’t thought that through :facepalm:

Dele Alli.

GW1 sent off for a dive....3 game ban

GW5 sent off for a dive....6 game ban, Spurs -1 point

GW12 sent off for a dive....9 game ban, Spurs -3 points (-4 in total)

GW22 sent off for a dive....12 game ban, Spurs -6 points (-10 in total)

GW35 learns his lesson....maybe!

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hadn’t thought that through :facepalm:

Dele Alli.

GW1 sent off for a dive....3 game ban

GW5 sent off for a dive....6 game ban, Spurs -1 point

GW12 sent off for a dive....9 game ban, Spurs -3 points (-4 in total)

GW22 sent off for a dive....12 game ban, Spurs -6 points (-10 in total)

GW35 learns his lesson....maybe!

Sadly I don't think there is a solution players will always cheat to gain an advantage. The problem is those in charge don't care as they are getting good money and don't want to rock the ship, the clubs making the most money out of the don't want to rock the ship just get a bigger one and sky don't give a ship.

51 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

How about a trapezoidal LED card that outshines the fourth official's substitution board? Ticks all the boxes, I feel.

I made a reverse double trapezoidal side table once. Not half bad as it happens.

Why not stocks in front of the opposition fans for 15 minutes... Sort of a sin bin. If there was a red card this kicks in afterwards. If yellow they re enter the field of play. I feel the utter humiliation received will deter a lot of divers. 

Of course i realise we no longer live in a society where appropriate justice is allowed because the poor flowers might be damaged for life and lose their sense of smell.

On 06/02/2018 at 16:25, Chris_Brown said:

Lovely ideas, but enforcement of the current rules is already far too subjective, let alone changes like you suggest.

Yeah, I guess so, at least on the penalty front. I just think the subjective lines would be a little clearer, perhaps, and the punishment would fit the crime better.

Think it removes a lot of subjectivity from handball decisions though. No longer would you have a cross hitting a hand from 5 yards as a penalty in one game, and not in another - it’d just be a free kick every time.

Totally with you on enforcing the rules better in general. Half of every team would be sent off simply for what they say to the referee if they stuck to their guns. I’m all for that - they’d soon learn.

Archived