IGNORED

Bristol Bierkeller

phantom

Ah, old memories of a stag night out with the hapless groom-to-be. Went mob-handed around the town and decided to enter the Bierkeller in twos and threes so as to not cause any obstructions. By the time we all got in there were more band players than punters - it was almost empty! Fortunately the groom ended up tied to a lamppost with his grundies down and pics taken to commemorate it. Proper job.  :devil::laughcont:

Sadly it seems that retail is not so profitable these days - far better to sell for redevelopment. Soon we'll all have designer apartments but nothing else.

• Admin

In its previous guise as Hofbrauhaus they used to have strippers on at lunchtime, it was 5p to get in and about 25p a pint.  Me and another lad used to knock off school, go down there every Thursday, watch the strippers and have a couple of beers, then walk to City Road, to look at the motorbikes in City Road motorcycles, that was when City Road was a den of vice and the girls used to hang out of windows showing their wares....

Then onto Fowler’s which was in St Paul’s at the time, more bike drooling, a walk past the Black and White cafe where we would always get verbal abuse - usually being informed we were blood clots - from the Rastas sat out side smoking ganja.  Then back to Bedminster and into Don’s motorcycles to look at the brand new Triumph Bonnevilles, they were £999, might as well have been a million to me back then, although I did own one shortly after leaving school and still do now.

Funny how one venue can elicit memories, had some great nights there as well over the years, but will always remember it for those Thursday lunchtimes that happened most weeks in my last year at school.

Very sad. Saw an Oasis tribute there last Summer and had a great night.

That said, remember saying to the Mrs at the time thought the venue wasn't as full as it should have been, staff seemed uninterested, only 1 draught beer & 1 draught cider available and whole place generally seemed like it needed a much needed face lift.

With loads of other venues becoming ultra-popular these days (The Fleece is usually sold out most weekends) it;s not a surprise.

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

In its previous guise as Hofbrauhaus they used to have strippers on at lunchtime, it was 5p to get in and about 25p a pint.

We may have been in there at the same time, although I reckon it must have been a Saturday lunchtime for me.

Very strange atmosphere as I remember it being almost daylight in there and not many customers.

Tiffany's also did a Saturday lunchtime 'heavy night' session for a while, but again it didn't feel right at that time of day.

The Hofbrauhaus is the only place I ever remember getting chucked out from, completely pissed as a 17 year old.

5 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

In its previous guise as Hofbrauhaus they used to have strippers on at lunchtime, it was 5p to get in and about 25p a pint.  Me and another lad used to knock off school, go down there every Thursday, watch the strippers and have a couple of beers,

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We may have been in there at the same time, although I reckon it must have been a Saturday lunchtime for me.

Very strange atmosphere as I remember it being almost daylight in there and not many customers.

Tiffany's also did a Saturday lunchtime 'heavy night' session for a while, but again it didn't feel right at that time of day.

Unfortunately, whilst memory fades with the passing of years, some (regrettable) details remain.

Firstly, and I seem to recall this used to be on a Friday lunchtime, wasn't there a similar 'stripper' establishment in the same road, further along on the left hand side as you leave the centre? And weren't our favourite female fans from the LV Wembley final regular 'presenters'?

Secondly, didn't there used to be a 'bierkeller' in the basement of the Mauretania at the bottom of Park Street?

I know it's coincidence and they're not related , but that's about the 4th venue to be threatened in the last year or so. It's probably my least favourite of all the local venues but did see some very good bands there. Rode the Lambretta down to see Martha Reeves in about 83, Saw the Damned, Buzzcocks and the Seahorses. Another stand out was the Icicle Works farewell tour ,the Strypes were awesome too. 

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unfortunately, whilst memory fades with the passing of years, some (regrettable) details remain.

Firstly, and I seem to recall this used to be on a Friday lunchtime, wasn't there a similar 'stripper' establishment in the same road, further along on the left hand side as you leave the centre? And weren't our favourite female fans from the LV Wembley final regular 'presenters'?

Secondly, didn't there used to be a 'bierkeller' in the basement of the Mauretania at the bottom of Park Street?

No idea Phil, the enlightening display at the Hofbrauhaus was more than enough for young Nogbad, even after 7 years in an all male school.

It seems you sought out a number of lunchtime stripper establishments?

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I saw some great stuff down there in the eighties including what is still the loudest gig I`ve ever attended - The Blues Band with Paul Jones on vocals.

I couldn`t hear properly for a week afterwards.

Verging off topic somewhat, I think the loudest gig I attended must have been one of a couple of Tack>>Head / On-U Sounds events: you could practically feel your internal organs being rearranged.

• Admin
14 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Is it closing immediately? I was supposed to watch From the Jam down there a week or 2 ago but it was cancelled and rearranged for Easter Sunday. 

@Ska Junkie Hadn't realised they had re-scheduled this, was originally seeing them in Bridgwater (cancelled due to poor sales) then here (cancelled due to injury) so we got a refund

15 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I saw some great stuff down there in the eighties including what is still the loudest gig I`ve ever attended - The Blues Band with Paul Jones on vocals.

I couldn`t hear properly for a week afterwards.

I was at that gig while visiting home from Australia.  I recall getting down, getting with it and movin & groovin. :banana: Loved it !

41 minutes ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

Was off to see Paul Draper (ex-Mansun) at Bierkeller, now been rearranged for SWX, a new gig venue for me

Saw the Bodysnatchers/Bellestars there in the 80s called something else then. Got tickets for Belly there later in the year, be interesting to see how it’s changed.

27 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Saw the Bodysnatchers/Bellestars there in the 80s called something else then. Got tickets for Belly there later in the year, be interesting to see how it’s changed.

Going to see Belly at SWX too. I think it’s the old ‘Odyssey’ night club? Loads of good stuff coming up there. 

Had my 18th at the bierkeller, supposed to go to Forest the next day, first game of the season, didn't make it :P, too many schnappschnapps

Saw the Three Johns, (death of a European etc) down there, also Teenage Fanclub and The Soupdragons

There was also another place called the bierkeller, in Frogmore st just along from the Horse and Jockey, both frequented in my youth

43 minutes ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

Had my 18th at the bierkeller, supposed to go to Forest the next day, first game of the season, didn't make it :P, too many schnappschnapps

Saw the Three Johns, (death of a European etc) down there, also Teenage Fanclub and The Soupdragons

There was also another place called the bierkeller, in Frogmore st just along from the Horse and Jockey, both frequented in my youth

Hang-Ten, brilliant song.

Archived