IGNORED

"We've been found out!"

Spike

I've been reading and hearing a lot of how "we've been found out" recently and it got me thinking about how other teams approach us and what has "changed" so to speak.

I think it's fair to say more teams are aware of Bryan, Korey and even more so Flint at this point but I was looking at our earlier season and who was scoring the goals and it was Bobby which got me thinking about him. He's a great little player, gives his all, is a real workhorse but I'm starting to wonder if the issue lies with him being "found out" so to speak. It's fair to say most managers prefer a balanced striker who has strength and pace, if they don't have this they tend to create a playstyle to compliment the smaller but faster player or the bigger slower player. In our case we use Diedhiou to compliment Reid so it was understandable that without Diedhiou Bobby was struggling to get his name on the sheet again but looking further into that I wonder if the period without Diedhiou has allowed other teams to get to know what to expect with Bobby and therefore plan to keep him out of the game?

At the beginning of the season Reid was viewed by most managers as a small, fast, hard working midfielder, he wasn't perceived as a threat in the area, however as he began to score regularly I think managers have taken notice of his goal tally and watched more footage of him. In his games without Diedhiou he seemed to be marked a lot tighter in the area, he's closed down quicker when receiving the ball and the results seem to be his name popping up less and less. Watching him be marked out by physical players who can keep up with him almost nullifies his game and even with Diedhiou back he doesn't seem to be finding the space he was before. This leads me to think that maybe Diony was brought in because he's a player of the same mould only with a more physical presence. I'm wondering if our main issue in the final third is now down to Reid being watched more and respected in the area, Diedhiou being seen as the big man looking to link up play and therefore marked the second he's on the ball and a lack of threat coming from anywhere else.

Looking at the team from an outside perspective as a manager I would be saying "don't give Reid space, just keep yourself goalside of him", Diedhiou I'd mark with someone capable of giving him a bit of a physical test as his lay off and passing, in general, is not at it's best when he's trying to physically hold a player off and then the only real threat left is Patterson who will run at players and attack the game. I find it a little alarming that looking at our squad as a whole the only real threats we have who are consistently a threat is Patterson, Diedhiou and Reid unless we can free up Bryan on the left of midfield or Diony suddenly impresses.

These are just my thoughts, I'm not saying they are the definitive answer to our problems but I do wonder if maybe we need to try Diony and Diedhiou a start up front for a few games, throw the opposition off as right now Diedhiou and Reid are very predictible and easier to defend against and I think watching Ameobi cause us all kinds of problems as we played Bolton shows that we don't really have an "all round striker" to cause the opposition those kinds of issues to mark, with Reid and Diedhiou it's very much "fast, agile defender on Reid, stay on him and pressure" and with Diedhiou it's "strong big player on him, give him space to receive but pressure him the second the ball is coming to his feet". 

Do we need to mix up our attack? Is our "being found out" more a case of teams neutralizing our key threats and we're struggling to find another way to change up our attack?

I personally think we play the best football in the league, our problem seems to be we just aren't physically strong enough to impose ourselves on teams. When we are song, our football is more than enough to win, which has been a joy at times this season, when it's not clicking we don't seem able to still impose ourselves on the opposition and force the result. 

Not sure if this can be coached or whether different players are needed to achieve this.

6 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I personally think we play the best football in the league, our problem seems to be we just aren't physically strong enough to impose ourselves on teams. When we are song, our football is more than enough to win, which has been a joy at times this season, when it's not clicking we don't seem able to still impose ourselves on the opposition and force the result. 

Not sure if this can be coached or whether different players are needed.

Behind Wolves and at times perhaps Fulham/Brentford, I tend to agree. We're very easy on the eye.

Physicality...we have plan B options which can provide a more physical game...or should I say we had but said Plan B options are or have been injured for months! However, Pisano, Diedhiou and Djuric are all pretty robust to name 3- the latter especially a game changer when we need to tough it out.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Behind Wolves and at times perhaps Fulham/Brentford, I tend to agree. We're very easy on the eye.

Physicality...we have plan B options which can provide a more physical game...or should I say we had but said Plan B options are or have been injured for months! However, Pisano, Diedhiou and Djuric are all pretty robust to name 3- the latter especially a game changer when we need to tough it out.

Fair point. Maybe it's ruthlessness then. 

Either way, we do struggle at times to be as clinical as you need to be for automatic promotion from this.

I'm sure it will come.

6 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Fair point. Maybe it's ruthlessness then. 

Either way, we do struggle at times to be as clinical as you need to be for automatic promotion from this.

I'm sure it will come.

Hmm....agree to a point. Norwich at home springs to mind 0 points should have been 1 or 3, Bolton away should have been draw minimum and even notwithstanding Wolves clearly being the best team in this League...should have got a point at home to them at least. That would have been a big gamechanger psyshologically if we beat them...the gap would have been 5 ahead of us, Derby they would have been only 7 above  3rd and with some tricky games to come. The chasing pack being in the form they are in...that would have put some more pressure on them.

Otoh, we toughed it out at Sheff Utd...they hit woodwork 4 times IIRC. Sunderland away we were not at our best (I know they are strugglers), but on came Djuric and changed the game in horrible conditions. I think we have a decent amount, but in terms of automatic perhaps not quite enough at this stage through a combination of relative inexperience and long term injuries...I think the gap is a bit too big personally for 2nd.

Pretty sure we all agreed after the home games with Burton and Milwall that we'd been sussed.

Them both parking the bus and frustrating us meant we were devoid of ideas, creativity and opportunity.

It was only against the more expansive sides that we looked quite good. (And then Leeds did us 3-0!)

Sure they'll tinker with things and we will be back on form in no time.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To me, the biggest injury loss we've suffered this year affecting our Plan A has been that of Callum O'Dowda. With him in the side we're much more defensively error prone on the LHS of our team. His service into Reid from the left has not been replaced. 

I feel that injuries in general and his in particular have found us out more than our opponents.

We're still in transition in so many ways. 

From habitual relegation fodder to top end hopefuls. 

From a club with an Academy that produced little, to one with possibly a dozen or so who will be banging on the first team door in the next year or two. 

A new stadium. 

A first team that when on form and no injuries is the best since 1976. But a squad that still lacks depth in the way that Wolves, Derby and others. 

But we're getting there. May not be this season but I'm sure we'll do it within a couple of years. 

I don't necessarily feel we've been ' found out ' more a case of other clubs have seen what can be achieved with a high energy tempo and pressing in packs and followed suit.

As I have indicated before the clubs from last season who narrowly missed promotion haven't adapted at all or quick enough to make an impact this year.

Reading , Boro, Sheffield Wednesday all underperforming.

For me, the major issue is that our gameplan works best when teams come out and attack against us, and the more we are perceived as a threat, the less that will happen. We need to work out how to play when teams drop deep. I also think our coaching staff and players are intelligent and will learn.

If we can ride through this spell and stay in the race, I think this could still be our season...

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

It is also about having a decent plan B and C, which at times we seem to struggle to enforce

Unfortunately, since October crucial elements of out  plan A, B & C have been in the treatment room.

43 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

To me, the biggest injury loss we've suffered this year affecting our Plan A has been that of Callum O'Dowda. With him in the side we're much more defensively error prone on the LHS of our team. His service into Reid from the left has not been replaced. 

I feel that injuries in general and his in particular have found us out more than our opponents.

O'Dowda is a major major miss for the balance of the side.

@downendcity Agreed...the fact we have still done as well as we have is in some ways miraculous. Give Wolves, Villa, Derby these long term injuries to first teamers and first reserves and see how they cope? 

@LondonBristolian @phantom Tend to agree to a point...teams coming at us can certainly suit us, we've seen it many times this season. However we do like to boss the ball as well, not seen a City side as good in possession at this level in my time following.

As for the Plan B and C...we can do agreed. However as mentioned in varied posts, the injuries a big hindrance. Still, a more defensively shoring up 4-3-3 at times, or say Hegeler at CB vs weaker sides at home (Burton, to an extent Millwall) may help improve speed of ball circulation. That could be a Plan C. Plan B, Djuric and reversion to more out and out wingers OR maybe a 3-4-3/3-4-2-1/3-4-1-2 something like that. We actually have the personnel to do all of this now, the versatility IMO but changing midstream is a big risk- with the exception of the Djuric Plan B idea which is already something we have.

15 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

This is the 1st Year for a while that we've been so decimated by injuries and that's had a huge impact. We've lost players that would have been on the teemsheet and subs every week. That has been our achilles heel. With no scope for resting anyone

COD has been a big loss.  Tracking back well and good going forward.  Was one of our most improved players this year.

I generally like playing 6 across the middle with this team and wingers to get around packed defences.

We have forwards to bring on later in the game if we need them.

Waiting to see what Diony has to offer, but he will need the have the service before we shall know.

We were definitely 'found out'  last season after the Sky game at Cardiff. Colin outsmarted LJ and from then City went on the dreadful run of defeats.

LJ said during that run 'we have to find a different way of playing' and eventually he did.

This season is very very different. LJ has adopted the high press, high tempo game because he's recruited/retained the players capable of playing to that style which he sees as the most effective.

Lets not forget the long injury list either. Several of the players that LJ sees as capable of playing the high press are/have been out injured but gradually those guys are returning and will be available for selection.

The core of the side is actually similar to that of when LJ joined, what did it say in thePost, 6 maybe 7 if you put Fielding in goal are the same (Baker was on loan) . The improved fitness and game plan and tactics , and understanding have improved substantially, and that is down to coaching (and I was not LJ greatest fan) . The quality of the rest of the side is improving slowly, and this season LJ has had no options up front, and been limited in defence due not having a right back. So, to say we have been found out is an over simplification, LJ has been compromised in choices for sure, and teams have had plenty of time to work out how to put us in difficulty. Not all do it of course but some have, and even early season a few games we were, not lucky, but borderline for the result. We also got carried away with the cup run, with half hearted Prem teams being shown up by our excellent application. We are still work in progress, but progress is key. Personally top ten this year is a massive step forward, I was not so convinced by the midfield January signings, though, as they will disrupt the play and not sure how they integrate, when we really needed a right back too . In the summer we should sign Diony as I am sure he can shine. Next season we will have, if we keep players, an excellent platform for a top 6 position, and possibly if Diony and Fama work, even top 2. We have been without forwards most of this season. 

I don't think we've been found out.  I think our manager has made a few mistakes recently in team selection that has lessened our chances of winning games.  I would add that he got it spot on against QPR when we changed to a back 3 and this definitely helped us win with 10 men.  We need to go back to putting our best players in their best positions, keeping partnerships together all over the pitch and maybe trusting certain individuals rather than calling them out even when they've done little wrong.

21 hours ago, The Bard said:

I don't think we've been found out.  I think our manager has made a few mistakes recently in team selection that has lessened our chances of winning games.  I would add that he got it spot on against QPR when we changed to a back 3 and this definitely helped us win with 10 men.  We need to go back to putting our best players in their best positions, keeping partnerships together all over the pitch and maybe trusting certain individuals rather than calling them out even when they've done little wrong.

I’m with you there.  Made a couple of selection errors imho, but got it spot on v QPR.

I also think we’ve seen games or portions of games where we’ve not be one team, but 3 units (Defence, Midfield and Attack).  Whether that is physical tiredness, or mental tiredness I’m not sure, but I’ve seen opposition find gaps between our lines more in the last 4-6 games (excluding Man City) than all season.  That exposes us.  I think the drilled system and it’s intensity is crucial to us.  Drop that intensity and we become a more average side.

I hope the defeat at Bolton (LJ saying we weren’t up for it or words to that effect) has shown the players that if we drop our ‘levels’, we aren’t a top 6 side.  This is also where the science guys needs to highlight players that have dropped, and that missing a game isn’t a criticism but a clever piece of rotation.  Much as I like the ethos of the player wearing the shirt is in possession, I'm realistic enough to know you can’t flog a team playing this style.

Archived