IGNORED

Sunderland Match Preview - What Are We Up Against Tomorrow? (Merged)

Davefevs

If we take last week’s game against Bolton as our benchmark, what are we up against tomorrow?

A team fighting relegation?  1 won in their last 5 league games, 3 points gained, 2 goals scored, 11 conceded.  Doesn’t sound like ‘fighting’ to me, but what is our record over the same 5 league game period? 4 points gained, 2 goals scored, 7 conceded.  On stats alone, we are hardly ‘battling’ for promotion.

So not a lot to be gleaned from results, apart from it points to a low scoring game based on each side only scoring 2 apiece.  I don’t think we can just use our loftier league position to expect a 3-0/4-0 win.  Much as I hope that would be the case.  Worth pointing out that in those 5 games they’ve only played one top 10 team....Cardiff.

So, what do Sunderland offer player-wise.  Since Coleman has come in they’ve gone to a back 3 (out nemesis), either in a conventional 352 or the more offensively minded 3412.  Let’s take last weekend’s line-up v Ipswich.

6F156625-A396-4C5D-9D80-A9F8BA4F2AAF.jpeg.68d6fd5f3af0abfb8a8c482ed4fa10bb.jpeg

Same familiar names, some not.

• Camp - we’ll know him from his Rotherham days, a shot stopper if not commanding type of keeper.  Capable of having one of those days, let’s hope it’s not tomorrow!
  • O’Shea - vastly experienced, but not the player he was.  We need to get Bobby up against him on the deck, but if they do assign him to Diedhiou, then Famara needs to drag him into areas so that he’s not playing in the conventional RCB.  I think they’ll try to get O’Shea on Diedhiou, so he needs to be clever about where he runs.  If Diedhiou can occupy O’Shea and another of the CBs by his positioning ‘ running, then we may go some way to overcoming the back 3 conundrum that we’ve struggled with all season.
  • Browning - young loanee from Everton....that’s all I know I’m afraid.
  • Jones (Billy) - a full back by trade and a good one at that.  Can play either side.  We either need to drag him into his more natural full-back berth to create space in between him and Browning, or keep him narrow to allow space in behind Oviedo.
  • Matthews - which one will we see, the 15/16 or 16/17 version?  A decent enough full-back on his day....not convinced wing back is his best position.  Think he is more than capable of getting forward from RB, but the up and back and caught in no man’s land position of WB is a different kettle of fish
  • Ovideo - talented left sided player on his day, someone we are going to have to stop getting into our final third.
  • Robson - youngster who’s come up through the ranks, know nothing more.  Possibly might be Honeyman, Who is a more creative CM.
  • Ejaria - Liverpool loanee, know nothing about him.
  • Cattermole - a fiery little midfielder who can resist a tackle and a walking yellow card risk, even when on one already.  Unlikely to hurt us offensively, but will be busy and keep the ball moving....mainly sideways. 
  • Fletcher (Ashley) - reasonable all around striker game, and I hope we see a passive kind of performance rather than the type we saw from Tyler Walker last week
  • Asoro - young’un, but from the bits I’ve see on telly, looks a clever runner, mainly in behind.

Away from home I’m not expecting wingers McGeady or Lua-Lua to start at WBs, but might play off of Fletcher if they go one up top.

Ok, so that’s Sunderland....how do we beat them.  For once, I think we need to think beyond our usual 4411/442.  We need to exploit the gaps in behind Matthews and Oviedo, but be flexible to accept that if they play deeper in more of a back 5, then the space is gonna be limited.  I think this might be the game for 352.  I’m such a hypocrite!!

• Steele
  • Wright, Flint, Magnússon 
  • Brownhill, Smith, Pack, Walsh, Bryan
  • Reid, Diedhiou 

I wouldnt play Kent as RWB, as I'm worried about Ovideo, and you could play the midfield 3 in multiple ways, as a 2 with a no10 (Pato, Kent, or even Reid could play there)

There is a little rumour that one of our strikers is injured, so that might mean Diony coming into the starting line-up?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

If we take last week’s game against Bolton as our benchmark, what are we up against tomorrow?

A team fighting relegation?  1 won in their last 5 league games, 3 points gained, 2 goals scored, 11 conceded.  Doesn’t sound like ‘fighting’ to me, but what is our record over the same 5 league game period? 4 points gained, 2 goals scored, 7 conceded.  On stats alone, we are hardly ‘battling’ for promotion.

So not a lot to be gleaned from results, apart from it points to a low scoring game based on each side only scoring 2 apiece.  I don’t think we can just use our loftier league position to expect a 3-0/4-0 win.  Much as I hope that would be the case.  Worth pointing out that in those 5 games they’ve only played one top 10 team....Cardiff.

So, what do Sunderland offer player-wise.  Since Coleman has come in they’ve gone to a back 3 (out nemesis), either in a conventional 352 or the more offensively minded 3412.  Let’s take last weekend’s line-up v Ipswich.

• Camp - we’ll know him from his Rotherham days, a shot stopper if not commanding type of keeper.  Capable of having one of those days, let’s hope it’s not tomorrow!
  • O’Shea - vastly experienced, but not the player he was.  We need to get Bobby up against him on the deck, but if they do assign him to Diedhiou, then Famara needs to drag him into areas so that he’s not playing in the conventional RCB.  I think they’ll try to get O’Shea on Diedhiou, so he needs to be clever about where he runs.  If Diedhiou can occupy O’Shea and another of the CBs by his positioning ‘ running, then we may go some way to overcoming the back 3 conundrum that we’ve struggled with all season.
  • Jones (Billy) - a full back by trade and a good one at that.  Can play either side.  We either need to drag him into his more natural full-back berth to create space in between him and Browning, or keep him narrow to allow space in behind Oviedo.
  • Matthews - which one will we see, the 15/16 or 16/17 version?  A decent enough full-back on his day....not convinced wing back is his best position.  Think he is more than capable of getting forward from RB, but the up and back and caught in no man’s land position of WB is a different kettle of fish
  • Ovideo - talented left sided player on his day, someone we are going to have to stop getting into our final third.
  • Robson - youngster who’s come up through the ranks, know nothing more.  Possibly might be Honeyman, Who is a more creative CM.
  • Cattermole - a fiery little midfielder who can resist a tackle and a walking yellow card risk, even when on one already.  Unlikely to hurt us offensively, but will be busy and keep the ball moving....mainly sideways. 
  • Fletcher (Ashley) - reasonable all around striker game, and I hope we see a passive kind of performance rather than the type we saw from Tyler Walker last week
  • Asoro - young’un, but from the bits I’ve see on telly, looks a clever runner, mainly in behind.

Away from home I’m not expecting wingers McGeady or Lua-Lua to start at WBs, but might play off of Fletcher if they go one up top.

Ok, so that’s Sunderland....how do we beat them.  For once, I think we need to think beyond our usual 4411/442.  We need to exploit the gaps in behind Matthews and Oviedo, but be flexible to accept that if they play deeper in more of a back 5, then the space is gonna be limited.  I think this might be the game for 352.  I’m such a hypocrite!!

• Steele
  • Reid, Diedhiou 

I wouldnt play Kent as RWB, as I'm worried about Ovideo, and you could play the midfield 3 in multiple ways, as a 2 with a no10 (Pato, Kent, or even Reid could play there)

There is a little rumour that one of our strikers is injured, so that might mean Diony coming into the starting line-up?

Unless it's Diony who's injured . 

Terrific post Dave , you're just lacking a few things ; fish puns , song lyrics and references to Carole Vorderman's admirable chest for it to be an A+ .

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

• Steele
  • Reid, Diedhiou 

Good post / thread. It'd be great if you did one of these for every game

Not sure it makes that much difference, they've been poor so changes can only improve them , unless they capitulate completely :fingerscrossed:
But here's the news, from the horses mouth.

“Marc Wilson is still a no,” revealed Coleman. 

“Paddy McNair will get some game time with the under-23s this weekend, as will Jonny Williams and Brendan Galloway, and then Paddy will maybe need another hit with the under-23s before he comes with us or maybe a week’s training.”

He continued: “We still don’t have Lamine and there’s no Callum McManaman either.

“Callum should be back next week and he’s progressed quite nicely this week. 

“We think Robbin’s going to be out between eight and 12 weeks because it’s a bad dislocation, so Lee [Camp] and Jason [Steele] can fight it out.

Archived